Adventist Online

This is how the Holy Spirit is described in the inspired writings of Ellen White. However, I am  not in agreement with those who twist Ellen White’s writing to make them conflict with the Bible.

For some have taken the above designation by Ellen White and concluded that Ellen White implied by it the existence of a third divine “being,”,i.e.
the Holy Spirit, besides the Father and His only begotten Son.  This
she never meant to be. In all her writings, she never ever referred to
the Holy Spirit as a third divine “being."

This may seem like a paradox to some: how can she speak of a third person of the Godhead and not mean by it a third divine “being”? A casual reader of her writings may
be confused by this apparent dilemma. However, her writings are not to
be blamed for such a faulty conclusion. There is no basis whatsoever to
arrive at the wrong conclusion of the existence of a third divine
“being,” for the following reasons:

1. If we do so, then we make her writings in direct conflict with the Bible, which speaks only of the presence of two divine beings (Zechariah 6:13; Revelation 21:22). This is not possible, if you believe, as we do, that there was one
    divine spirit which inspired both, the Bible and her writings.
  2. She never, when referring to the Holy Spirit in her writings, described it as a “divine being.”
  3. In her writings she has told us clearly that the nature of the Holy Spirit is a mystery.

How is the Holy Spirit a “mystery” then according to the writings of Ellen White? Certainly, neither the role nor the mission of the Holy Spirit is a mystery in the Bible (see John 14:26; 16:8, 13).
Furthermore, the identity of the Holy Spirit is not a mystery.

While the Bible clearly reveals that the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Christ (see John 14:16-18), it also states that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father (see John 15:26).
More importantly, the Bible while speaking distinctly of Spirit of the
Father and the Spirit of the Son in several places (for example, see Romans 8:14; Galatians 4:6; Philippians 1:19),
does equate the Spirit of Christ with the Spirit of God (see Romans
8:9).

We can therefore surmise from these Bible verses that the Holy Spirit in that holy divine mechanism through which both the Father and Son jointly work for the salvation of the human race, and represents
the means through which they can both abide in us for fellowship (see 1 John 1:3) and to sanctify us to overcome the evil one and sin.

So, if the mission and the identity of the Holy Spirit have been clearly revealed in the Bible, where does the mystery of the Holy Spirit lie?

We can only conclude that the “mystery” lies in the following: How can the Holy Spirit which represents the joint effort of the Spirit of God and the Spirit of Christ act as a
person and not be a separate third being of the Godhead?

We can’t explain this unprecedented phenomenon, from a human point of view.  And since we can’t explain it as, it is a mystery about which we should not speculate. But sadly, most SDAs when confronted with this mystery jump to the
wrong conclusion and conclude the existence of a third divine being, or
a third independent co-equal person to the Father and His Son. Instead
of recognizing where the mystery lies, they resolve it erroneously.

Lastly, we are to rejoice in knowing that in our earthly sojourn towards heaven we have two divine beings cooperating together through their joint Spirits (aka the Holy Spirit)
to save us. And that the Father’s Spirit which aided our Lord in
overcoming sin during His life on earth, is there to also aid us along
with the Spirit of His Son, jointly as the Holy Spirit, so that we have
all that is needed to overcome sin, and fulfill their divine mission in
each of our lives.

Views: 241

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Amen, Shay!
I fail to see a problem here. sml. In all my years of Adventism, time spent on this forum has only clarified and made more salient, defined, and complete my understanding of many things. In fact if a non SDA were to be following along, I think they would be in danger of hearing the truth in beautiful and understandable ways.(beware, hazardous to your spiritual health! ) lolol But the matter of witnessing has not changed in the sense that one presents our beliefs with scriptural references to support. Is any one else besides JP seeing a problem here?
And I say why try to fix something that isn't broken. sml. Can we be happy? Wouldn't that be nice? "And thou shall read thy bible every day" is not one of the 10 commandments. "And thou shalt always give scripture first when discussing spiritual things" is not one of the 28 fundamental doctrines.

But I would like to add one. Thou shalt not badger thy brethren and try to fit round pegs into square holes.lololol. Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself and not make additional burdens in any aspect of life especially in matters of spirituality. "Love the Lord thy God with all thy heart and thy neighbor as thyself." ~ Jesus.
Blessings

Every time i hear 'new light' I think old deception 

Ellen G. White repeatedly affirms that the Holy Spirit is a Person:

The Holy Spirit is a person, for He beareth witness with our spirits that we are the children of God. . . . 

The Holy Spirit has a personality, else He could not bear witness to our spirits and with our spirits that we are the children of God. He must also be a divine person, else He could not search out the secrets which lie hidden in the mind of God.l

The Holy Spirit is presented in the writings of Ellen G. White as God, not an inferior emanation from the Deity, but in every sense God, as are Christ and the Father:

The prince of the power of evil can only be held in check by the tower of God in the third person of the Godhead, the Holy Spirit.

Sin could be resisted and overcome only through the mighty agency of the Third Person of the Godhead, who would come with no modified energy, but in the fullness of divine power. It is the Spirit that makes effectual what has been wrought out by the world’s Redeemer.

The Holy Spirit is not spoken of as a subordinate representative, a tool used by the Father and the Son. As is Christ so is the Holy Spirit the "fullness of the Godhead:"

The Comforter that Christ promised to send after He ascended to heaven is the Spirit in all the fullness of the Godhead, making manifest the power of divine grace to all who receive and believe in Christ as a personal Saviour. There are three living persons in the heavenly trio; in the name of these three great powers—the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit—those who receive Christ by living faith are baptized, and those powers will co-operate with the obedient subjects of heaven in their effort to live the new life of Christ.

The contention of the Adventist Arian to the effect that the Holy Spirit is a mere influence, not a Person and certainly not a member of the Deity, is therefore soundly contradicted in the writings of Ellen G. White.

The Holy Spirit is referred to in the SOP as a person. A person is a being.

Why is this misleading post even being dug up from 2010? Cmon folks :(   *dead issue*

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service