Adventist Online

I was reading in Mark last week and something caught my attention for the first time. I'd like any thoughts or opinions, but especially any research anyone has done. It's the story of Bartimaeus, the blind beggar who cries out to Jesus, the Son of David found in Mark 10:46-52. I'll pick it up in vs. 47.

"and when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out and say, 'Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!' Then many warned him to be quiet; but he cried out all the more, 'Son of David, have mercy on me!' So Jesus stood still and commanded him to be called. Then they called the blind man, saying to him, 'Be of good cheer. Rise, he is calling you.' And throwing aside his garment, he rose and came to Jesus. So Jesus answered and said to him, 'What do you want Me to do for you?' The blind man said to Him, 'Rabboni, that I may receive my sight.' Then Jesus said to him, 'Go your way; your faith has made you well.' And immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus on the road." (NKJV, emphasis mine)

My question is concerning verse 50 which I underlines and italicized. I wonder if the garment is a life example of us casting off our own righteousness? At the least it seems to intentionally show leaving behind of something. It reminds me a little of the lesson in Revelation 3:17, 18 for the church of Laodicea, "Because you say, 'I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing' - and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked - I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the same of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see."

I've been searching around, but the only clue in any commentaries I have seen so far just mentions that Bartimaeus didn't care about his garment, that he forgot it being caught up in great hope and trust. That's in the Interpreter's Bible.

Any thoughts?

Thanks and God bless!

Views: 223

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

http://spiritualsprings.org/ss-1027.htm The LOST covering is a faviourite theme of mine Vincent...

It starts when Adam and Eve manufactures the garment they lost from sinning.... enjoy my link on this

Shalom

Could they have manufactured garments of righteousness or was it filthy rags? Adam was unable to manufacture their original garments of light, therefore he made the next best thing- filthy garments which was unable to hide/remove their shame/guilt/sin.

Jason, the garment of light is not manufactured, it is the solid manifestation of the Holy Spirit over us

Ps 104:2 Who coverest thyself with light as with a garment?: who stretchest out the heavens like a curtain: 3 Who layeth the beams of his chambers in the waters: who maketh the clouds his chariot: who walketh upon the wings of the wind (Holy Spirit):  

Notice this garment of Jesus is "put on"...as various verses translate the meaning:-

2Co 5:3 If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked.

• Col 3:10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:
  • Re 1:13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.

Notice this garment of Jesus is "put on", and this is a symbol, of the saints "putting on" Jesus and His righteousness.

If we don't put on Jesus light, we become naked.

Now noticed what happened in the Garden of Eden when Adam and Eve were found missing something...

Ge 3:7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

The key element in this verse is they sewed a covering to replace the one they had lost. (what happened is the Holy Spirit shrank inside of them, the words of God was correct, in the day ye eat of the tree, you will be dying die. And a part of them did die immediately, the Holy Spirit shrank about them offering Satan new rulership of the earth pair.

Ge 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely "muwth" die "muwth".

Notice the Hebrew word for death is written twice. The affect of missing is to experience :-

• (1) Two deaths, those lost experience two deaths. The first death is a sleep, the second death is an ongoing experience of non-existence.
  • (2) The second death. Those lost will experience the second death, while the punishing is given out according to your wicked ways, the punishment ends eventually, and you experience ongoing non-existence.
  • (3)Daily dying. A living death, immediately effective but physically slow, like a cancerous decay.

All these meanings could have been implied as Hebrew meanings tend be always broad.

When the couple were sinning, they manufactured themselves garments to replace the lost covering of light. Thus clothes became a symbol of the lost covering. And the garment of Jesus promised is the restoration of all those things lost.

Ge 3:21 ¶ Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.

Notice Jesus manufactured clothes for Adam and Eve from the leather skins of animals.

What it interesting here, is Jesus made physical provision for the with His technology. This included the sewing, leather crafting and design of clothing for a gender male and a gender female.

Also we have the counterfeit response to the lost covering. The humans made their own garments from technologies they understood, and became happy over the technology they had produced which now "saves them" in a sense, from their guilt and shame.

These symbols eventually swell into a major rejection of the attitude of love, that where we are unhappy with God's physical provisions for our life, and our need to supply our own physical provisions based on our own self importance.

Notice the attitude here:-

Ex 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: 5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them:

Technology has become a curse as well as a blessing today, for mankind is making themselves too happy with a self developed world around the to replace not only the lost covering, but the lost Garden of Eden as well. In fact many developed nations are already living in heaven now, at least in a physical sense.

Instead the correct attitude of love this commandment suggests is to be mournful of what we have lost.

Mt 5:4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.

This theme is looked at a little more in detail on the next webpage.

Lost Covering theme

Indeed gentlemen, please read my studies on this, the garment we have lost is a symbol of God's presence and power....

Shalom

That disciple whom Jesus kept loving told Peter, "It's the Lord!" When Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he put his clothes back on, because he was practically naked, and jumped into the sea.  John 21:7

Good point Jason, and strangely why does Hebrew have so many words for naked ? more than five I think, whereas in English we have only nude and naked....?

Garments and nakedness are themes about a covering of salvation we have lost since Eden times

Shalom

In the Biblical culture of the day, an outer garment was what the poor slept in to protect themselves from the cold nights of the Middle East. Most people only had one set of clothes and one pair of sandals. Someone like this blind man would most likely sleep on the ground with his outer garment. Many families sleep in the outside with no tent. Those that were fortunate had a tent, as Abraham lived in a tent, and if really fortunate, someone lived in a house.

Therefore, the fact that the blind man threw his garment aside shows how much he needed and wanted to receive his sight, forsaking temporarily his outer garment. Under the law it was unlawful to keep someone's outer garment overnight, as security for a loan or money owed. It had to be returned before sunset to the owner. People were so poor, that God made it unlawful to withhold the daily wages of the poor, as they needed their daily wage to eat.

Spiritually speaking Adam and Eve and those few prophets who had the holy spirit in the Old Testament,  had it upon them, which was a covering, and was conditional, and could be lost as in the case of Adam and Eve, as well as Saul. David prayed that the holy spirit not be removed from him because of his sin. The law only covered sin, it did not remove it as though it didn't exist. In the New Covenant, the holy spirit is not upon individuals, but inside; 

Colossians 1: "25 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;  26 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:  27To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:  28Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:  29 Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily."

[Note: The mystery above is the Greek word musterion, which means sacred secret which was revealed to Paul and to which we are supposed to be obedient to;

Romans 16: [Postscript] "25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,  26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:  27 To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen. Written to the Romans from Corinthus, and sent by Phebe servant of the church at Cenchrea."

Thus believers are Sons of God, and children of God, and brethren and friends of Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God, The Messiah, the Head of The Church, The Body of Christ, being born again:

I Peter 1:"         18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;  19But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:  20Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,  21Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.  22Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:  23Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.  24For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away:  25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you."

Not of corruptible seed; I John 3:"         9Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.  10In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.  11For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.  12Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous.  13Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.  14We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.  15Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him."

Seed is used in the Bible for physical life and for spiritual life. Elsewhere John says: I John 1: "7But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.  8If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.  9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  10If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us."

To those that don't understand the context of seed in the first example, John appears to contradict himself between these two verses, but actually he is not given the context. "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.  10In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil:" BORN of GOD, that means receiving salvation and the spirit of God. Romans 10;9-10.

The other verse is referring to fellowship, not sonship. A child no matter what never is no longer the son (or daughter) of his parents. A good parent will love the child no matter what, even though upset with behavior or disobedience. Are humans better parents then The Almighty God? God forbid.

I John 5: "16If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.  17All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.  18We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not."

The sin unto death is referring to the second death, spiritual death, not having eternal life, but eternal death either by rejecting Jesus Christ and never having received his salvation in their life or those that not only reject salvation, but those that become children of the Devil, and receive the seed of the serpent (see Genesis 3, I will put emnity between thy seed and the woman's seed." (Thus seed of the serpent). There are two seeds, the seed of the woman, aka the seed of Abraham, or the Seed of Christ in you, which was promised to Abraham etc. If a person rejects Jesus Christ at one point in his life, if he hasn't sold out to Lucifer, he could receive Christ at a latter date, then all his sins are forgiven, encluding rejection of Christ earlier. But the unforgivable sin is to sell out to Lucifer and become a child of the Devil. That is because it is not just rejection at a point in life, which could be corrected later by receiving salvation, but totally working for the Devil and having sold out 100% to the Devil. that is, to blaspheme the holy spirit which is the unpardonable or unforgivable sin.

These seeds are diametrically opposed to each other, and have complete opposite natures and manifestations, one love of God, the other hate of the Devil. This is a secret that most people are confused about. Discerning of spirits gives a believer the God given ability to receive revelation from God to know if a person has any kind of spirit, and whether the spirit is a demon abiding in the person, and whether the person is a child of God or a child of the Devil.

Once someone becomes a child of God or a child of the Devil, that is unalterable, because it is spiritual seed, one unto spiritual life eternal, the other unto eternal death and darkness. The people in between have not made the commitment to either side. A believer can walk in darkness, which is not good. A son of the Devil always walks in darkness as a child of Lucifer.  

Vincent, you are truly an excellent thinker and ask excellent questions. I think you have great promise as a bible researcher/teacher etc. if you do your own research and don't take what people tell you to heart until you know it is true.

I don't believe that is the unpardonable sin; walking away, though that is certainly not good! If the person is born of incorruptible seed, they will still have eternal life, which is by grace after believing and receiving the holy spirit (Romans 10:9-10, which is the token or earnest (the arobon; a good faith down payment per se) of eternal life: Ephesians 1:11-14 " 11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:  12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.  13In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,  14Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory."

Salvation by grace, if the person is sealed with the holy spirit (born again), but walking away would reduce the persons inheritance (rewards which are by works). Now lets take even the more extreme case than you gave I believe of I Corinthians 5:5:, starting in verse 1; "1It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.  2 And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you.  3For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,  4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,  5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.  6Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?"

It was better that this man was turned over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh so that he could do no more harm, but even so "that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus."

Many former Satanists and those of the higher (or lower closer to hell?) Luciferian orders have forsaken Lucifer and became Christians, even those with multiple secret society memberships and orders of the highest (or lowest rather) degrees. As difficult as it was to leave with severe harassment by Lucifer and demons, they had not reached the point of no return. God knows what that point is, but generally it is a point at which they are completely sold out to Lucifer as being god and their Lord. Some are on the road but turn back after a season.

Examples of those born of the seed of the Serpent (or children of the Devil) are Adolf Hitler, Mao, Stalin, Herod, Jezebel, and some contemporaries I will not name in Politics. These have the nature of Lucifer, steal, kill and destroy and they are beyond redemption or reform even if they were alive. Ultimately God is the judge, but some people are obvious in their evil in killing millions of people etc.

These people can be detected by their nature and deeds, but ultimately discerning of spirits which is divine revelation is the only sure way of knowing which is the manifestation of holy spirit as to God giving a person revelation as to whether there is a spirit present, whether it be of God or demonic, and whether you may cast it out. The seed of the Serpent individuals are not merely demonized (what some people wrongly call "possessed," (which can be rectified by casting out spirit(s), but these creatures of Lucifer are so loaded and controlled and operative of demons and their brains are loaded with blocking spirits that prevent any means of retreat, but they have also been altered by Lucifer when they became children that they are beyond redemption to normal humans. 

When a Christian is born again, he is a new creation, with Christ in him, there is a drastic change in the person as they have received holy spirit, they then have the nature of God in them, if they would only renew their minds and cooperate (free will), while the child of the Devil is so progressed and steeped in evil that they have also been inalterably changed to totally evil and a tool for Satan. They actually direct the Devil spirits out into the culture etc. by incantations and other forms of magic and black arts. They are rewarded with worldly money, worldly power and demonic powers. 

Proverbs 6:

16 ¶ These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:c  17A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,d  18An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,  19A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

The above are the major charactoristics of the wicked (children of the Devil), though they are not exhaustive (all of them, there are many devices of Satan). These are contrary to the manifestations of holy spirit and opposite.

I don't want you to overly study this area, but it is important to know the enemy and what their purposes are.

When one has reached the point of no return, then any prayer would be useless. Discerning of spirits or real obvious cases are the only way to know for certain by the voice of The Lord if He chooses to divulg that information to you.

Let me tell you, in the beginning of learning discerning of spirits, especially not just the presence of demons, but to know that someone is born of the seed of the Serpent, is a child of the Devil, is certainly disconcerting. Let me tell you a true story about my first encounter with one of these Children of the Devil;

I was a lone College Bible Ambassador with a certain non-denominational organization. I attended fellowships with other believers, but was on my own for the most part in ministering to the College I went to. This was what, 1977 approximately.

I was going door to door witnessing around the campus. I went to this one particular house, the man let me in and we sat on his sofa and I proceeded to tell him about Jesus Christ and The Bible. He told me he was an existentialist, which at the time I did not know what that meant. I kept on talking and trying to convince him and then he said. I think you will understand if you come into the other room and I will show you something.

He directed me to a room and directly across the room was a huge poster of a human skull. Immediately I both saw the poster physically, but also at the same instant received for the first time discerning of spirits revelation. It hit me like a ton of bricks. I knew that he was an absolute child of the Devil and I immediately excused myself and he showed me out. It was strange, as though a child of the Devil was cooperating in my spiritual understanding?

I also had a strange encounter decades ago when a worker for Satan and I met one night late at night, I think it was on a train? In World War I there was one Christmas a truce between the combatants that was not planned or condoned by the generals or the politicians. Both sides stopped shooting at each other and met in no man's land, exchanged cigarettes and alcohol etc. The Generals were mad and forbid such to happen again.

Well, my encounter with the worker of iniquity was like a truce, we both discussed what we do, and both realized that we had to operate believing and trust or "faith." It was a very interesting and unusual event. I had been fighting spiritual battles in the trenches per se for a long time, and it seems that both of us needed a break with a little truce! He was probably tired also after a long day of working for the other side. We both cordially left and assumed our regular roles on both sides of the spiritual dividing line.

Decades ago in the Art Bell Radio Show, a woman who was a witch named Patsey was the guest. She was completely sold out to Lucifer as a daughter of his, and told how she would infiltrate the churches, and whatever the thing was to be accepted, she would do (this is true of all the infiltrators of Lucifer), and get accepted by the group. She would work her way up the ladder until she was fully trusted and then she would do her dirty work. 

If she could corrupt a young Christian man, she would do whatever was necessary sexually. She said she would compass land and sea to do some evil. This was really sold out. She said it wasn't time yet, but that when the time came. for example, a little Christian boy, she would love to kill him herself and kill all the little Christian children. She said she wanted to go to hell and have no place with God and was proud to be a child of the Devil.

She did get mad at the Luke warm Wicken practicers who claimed that they were not worshipping the Devil. She got really upset at their hypocriticalness and insisted that they were worshipping the Devil and why won't they admit it. She actually said that she had more respect for the Christians who had sold out to God, because at least they had made a choice, even though she hates them and wants to kill them. 

This reminds me of Elijah and the 400 prophets of Baal and Jezebel who killed the prophets. Both sides want to cut the other sides heads off, given the opportunity! Both sides are diametrically opposed to each side. The term wicked is often used for those sold out to Satan in the scriptures, but do not forget that someone can do a lot of wickedness, and still not be a child of the Devil. I hope that this assists you in some manner in understanding the two sides.

I do recommend that you do not spend too much time in this field of the child of the Devil, or study of the wicked and Lucifer. Some knowledge is necesary, but one must concentrate on the knowledge and wisdom from God, and if God wants you to know something about the other side that is important to know, then He will inform you.

Never saw the line in the text, will have to look and see if SOP has anything,

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by