Adventist Online

It is only as the law of God is restored to its rightful position that there can be a revival of primitive faith and godliness among His professed people. FLB 326 "Thus saith the Lord, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls." Jer. 6:16.

WHOSE FEASTS?

Lev 23:2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, Concerning the feasts of the LORD, which ye shall proclaim to be holy convocations, even these are MY feasts.

FOR HOW LONG?

Exo 12:14 And this day shall be unto you for a memorial; and ye shall keep it a feast to the LORD throughout your generations; ye shall keep it a feast by an ordinance for ever.

Exo 12:17 And ye shall observe the feast of unleavened bread; for in this selfsame day have I brought your armies out of the land of Egypt: therefore shall ye observe this day in your generations by an ordinance for ever.

Exo 12:24 And ye shall observe this thing for an ordinance to thee and to thy sons for ever.

Lev 23:14 And ye shall eat neither bread, nor parched corn, nor green ears, until the selfsame day that ye have brought an offering unto your God: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations in all your dwellings.

Lev 23:21 And ye shall proclaim on the selfsame day, that it may be an holy convocation unto you: ye shall do no servile work therein: it shall be a statute for ever in all your dwellings throughout your generations.

Lev 23:41 And ye shall keep it a feast unto the LORD seven days in the year. It shall be a statute for ever in your generations: ye shall celebrate it in the seventh month.

WHAT WASN'T FINISHED AT THE CROSS

Christians who extol Christ, but array themselves against the law governing the Jewish church, array Christ against Christ. RH May 6, 1875

The ceremonial system was made up of symbols pointing to Christ, to His sacrifice and His priesthood. This ritual law, with its sacrifices and ordinances, was to be performed by the Hebrews until type met antitype in the death of Christ, the Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world. Then all the sacrificial offerings were to cease. It is this law that Christ "took . . . out of the way, nailing it to His cross." Colossians 2:14. PP365

In consequence of continual transgression, the moral law was repeated in awful grandeur from Sinai. Christ gave to Moses religious precepts which were to govern the everyday life. These statutes were explicitly given to guard the ten commandments. They were not shadowy types to pass away with the death of Christ. They were to be binding upon man in every age as long as time should last. These commands were enforced by the power of the moral law, and they clearly and definitely explained that law. {RH, May 6, 1875 par. 10}

In the time of the end every divine institution is to be restored. PK 678

We are to become familiar with the Levitical law in all its bearings; for it contains rules that must be obeyed; it contains the instruction that if studied will enable us to understand better the rule of faith and practice that we are to follow in our dealings with one another. No soul has any excuse for being in darkness. Those who receive Christ by faith will receive also power to become the sons of God. 1BC 1110

He did not stop with giving them the precepts of the Decalogue. The people had shown themselves so easily led astray that He would leave no door of temptation unguarded. Moses was commanded to write, as God should bid him, judgments and laws giving minute instruction as to what was required. These directions relating to the duty of the people to God, to one another, and to the stranger were only the principles of the Ten Commandments amplified and given in a specific manner, that none need err. They were designed to guard the sacredness of the ten precepts engraved on the tables of stone. PP 364

In consequence of continual transgression, the moral law was repeated in awful grandeur from Sinai. Christ gave to Moses religious precepts which were to govern everyday life. These statutes were explicitly given to guard the ten commandments. They were not shadowy types to pass away with the death of Christ. They were to be binding upon men in every age as long as time should last. These commands were enforced by the power of the moral law, and they clearly and definitely explained that law…
Christ speaks to such: "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of Heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in Heaven." What is the will of the Father? That we keep his commandments. Christ, to enforce the will of his Father, became the author of the statutes and precepts given through Moses to the people of God. Christians who extol Christ, but array themselves against the law governing the Jewish church, array Christ against Christ. RH May 6, 1875

The light esteem in which the law of God is held, even by religious leaders, has been
productive of great evil. The teaching which has become so widespread, that the divine statutes are no longer binding upon men, is the same as idolatry in its effect upon the morals of the people. Those who seek to lessen the claims of God's holy law are striking directly at the foundation of the government of families and nations. Religious parents, failing to walk in His statutes, do not command their household to keep the way of the Lord. The law of God is not made the rule of life… A reformation in this respect is needed--a reformation which shall be deep and broad. Parents need to reform; ministers need to reform; they need God in their households. PP 143

God’s Statutes are connected to the descent of the Holy Spirit!
The prophecies in the eighteenth of Revelation will soon be fulfilled. During the
proclamation of the third angel's message, "another angel" is to "come down from heaven, having great power," and the earth is to be "lighted with his glory."…
During the loud cry… the light of present truth will be seen flashing everywhere…
The Word declares: "Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes." This is the descent of the Holy Spirit, sent from God to do its office work…
As men, women, and children proclaim the gospel, the Lord will open the eyes of the
blind to see his statutes,
and will write upon the hearts of the truly penitent his law… Other chapters will open before us, and in order to discern their meaning, we shall need keen perception. RH Oct. 13, 1904 (Article, The Closing Work)

The very last deception of Satan will be to make of none effect the testimony of the Spirit of God. LDE 177

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you.

The above quotes make it abundantly clear that the feast days and festivals are no longer a requirement for us this side of the cross.

This should stop any counter-claim that we should be keeping the ceremonial days.
The feast days can no longer be observed for several reasons:

1) Passover and Atonement both require an animal sacrifice - Christ ended those thus we cannot observe the rituals of those feast days.

2) In order to truly observe Firstfruits and Pentecost as well as the ingathering, the final day you have to be in the land and reap of that land's harvest. Proof that this is a requirement is simply that during the time of the wandering the Hebrews did not observe any of the feasts, because they were not in the land!

3) It was through the Levitical Priesthood that the ordinaces were to be performed - the book of Hebrews tells us that the levitical priesthood came to it's end, including all the rituals associated with it.

4) There is not Temple for the priests to perform their duties - no Temple, no feasts.

Up to last year I observed the appointed times - they are a false teaching that is leading many astray.

Gods peace
Ron
I'm wondering what happened with Paul? Did he not understand? Was he a little slow? Did he not get the word? Somebody forget to tell him? Oh, there's probably several explanations for what he was doing. But here's the question? What was Paul doing keeping the feasts, and not only that, instructing others. Were there animals involved? Hmmmmmmm? This was after Jesus died, right? Just thinking.
Unless you are just thinking out loud a proof-text for the above claim would be helpful.

"In that he saith, A new [covenant], he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old [is] ready to vanish away." - Heb. 8:13

There was no compulsion, no salvic necessity for keeping the feast days expressed in the New testament writings.

"The opinion is widely held, that the sacrifices and offerings of the Hebrews possess no significance for Christians, and can be of no interest to them. This opinion is without foundation. It is true that the ceremonies of the Mosaic law are not now to be observed; but, when rightly understood, they are seen to be all aglow with sacred and important truths. These rites, appointed by Jehovah himself, were like so many beacons to light up the path of God's ancient people, and to direct their minds to the great sacrifice to be offered for the sins of men. Viewed in the light of the cross, they contain most precious lessons for the people of God today.” Review & Herald, January 9, 1883
Hey John;

I'll put some thoughts about Paul and Feasts below, but wanted to discuss the quote you provided. That's a great quote, and I thank you for presenting that. I think it points out what we need to be looking at in the meaning of the feasts, and that is our relationship to Jesus. I think when we take the time to look at them carefully we will find they are rich in meaning, and intended to enhance our relationships.

Regarding the bolded part, "It is true that the ceremonies of the Mosaic law are not now to be observed;" I would tend to think that since that is in such close relationship to the first sentence, that it is that "ceremony" that it is talking about, i.e. the sacrifices and offerings. I would tend to put that "ceremony" on the back burner to see what fruit it bears, and if it fits with all the other evidence.

Here's the thoughts on Paul

“At Philippi Paul tarried to keep the Passover. Only Luke remained with him, the other members of the company passing on to Troas to await him there. The Philippians were the most loving and true hearted of the apostle’s converts, and during the eight days of the feast he enjoyed peaceful and happy communion with them.” AA 390 391

The Apostle Paul Kept the Sabbath and the Holy Days

Contrary to the assertions of many, Paul was not a Jew that did away with following biblical practices such as the Sabbath and the Holy Days.

Actually, near the end of his life he declared:

17 And it came to pass after three days that Paul called the leaders of the Jews together. So when they had come together, he said to them: "Men and brethren, though I have done nothing against our people or the customs of our fathers, yet I was delivered as a prisoner from Jerusalem into the hands of the Romans, 18 who, when they had examined me, wanted to let me go, because there was no cause for putting me to death. 19 But when the Jews spoke against it, I was compelled to appeal to Caesar, not that I had anything of which to accuse my nation (Acts 28:17-19).

Which means he kept the Sabbath, Holy Days, and the Ten Commandments.

The Ten Commandments were alreay discussed, so let's look at the Sabbath:

Notice that the Apostle Paul was inspired to write:

Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said, "So I declared on oath in my anger, 'They shall never enter my rest.'" And yet his work has been finished since the creation of the world. For somewhere he has spoken about the seventh day in Thessalonians e words: "And on the seventh day God rested from all his work." And again in the passage above he says, "They shall never enter my rest." It still remains that some will enter that rest, and those who formerly had the gospel preached to them did not go in, because of their disobedience...There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his. Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience (Hebrews 4:3-6,9-11, NIV).

Acts 13:42-44 shows what Paul did,

...the Gentiles begged that Thessalonians e words might be preached to them the next Sabbath. Now when the congregation had broken up, many of the Jews and devout proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas, who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God. On the next Sabbath almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God.

Also Acts 18:4 states,

And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded both Jews and Greeks.

Hence the New Testament is clear that Paul kept the Sabbath, regularly preached on the Sabbath, and that he wrote that there remains "a Sabbath-rest for the people of God".

Hopefully, that includes you (for the practice of the early church, please see The Sabbath in the Early Church and Abroad).

Now some have been misled by what seems to be an intentional mistranslation of one of Paul's writings, Colossians 2:16 to do away with the Sabbath--but when properly translated it endorses, and does not condemn Sabbath observances (this is explained in more detail in the article Is There "An Annual Worship Calendar" In the Bible?).

Paul told Christians to keep the Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread:

7 Therefore purge out the old leaven, that you may be a new lump, since you truly are unleavened. For indeed Christ, our Passover, was sacrificed for us. 8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, nor with the leaven of malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth (1 Corinthians 5:7-8).

He kept the Feast of Unleavened Bread in Philippi:

Paul...But we sailed away from Philippi after the Days of Unleavened Bread (Acts 20:1,6).

He kept Pentecost:

8 But I will tarry in Ephesus until Pentecost (1 Corinthians 16:8).

16 For Paul had decided to sail past Ephesus, so that he would not have to spend time in Asia; for he was hurrying to be at Jerusalem, if possible, on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 20:16).

He also apparently kept the Day of Atonement (known as the Fast):

9 Now when much time had been spent, and sailing was now dangerous because the Fast was already over, Paul advised them (Acts 27:9).

He wrote that he needed to keep the feast (meaning the Feast of Tabernacles):

"I must by all means keep this coming feast in Jerusalem; but I will return again to you, God willing" (Acts 18:21).

Hence, Paul kept (after his conversion to Christianity), what are now commonly called the Jewish Holy Days. So, of course, did Jesus.

Furthermore, notice something from an old 2nd/3rd document (that was probably altered in the 4th century), titled The Life of Polycarp, specifically mentions the Passover, the Days of Unleavened Bread, and Pentecost. Notice that it shows that the Apostle Paul endorsed keeping them:

In the days of unleavened bread Paul, coming down from Galatia, arrived in Asia, considering the repose among the faithful in Smyrna to be a great refreshment in Christ Jesus after his severe toil, and intending afterwards to depart to Jerusalem. So in Smyrna he went to visit Strataeas, who had been his hearer in Pamphylia, being a son of Eunice the daughter of Lois. These are they of whom he makes mention when writing to Timothy, saying; Of the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois and in thy mother Eunice; whence we find that Strataeas was a brother of Timothy. Paul then, entering his house and gathering together the faithful there, speaks to them concerning the Passover and the Pentecost, reminding them of the New Covenant of the offering of bread and the cup; how that they ought most assuredly to celebrate it during the days of unleavened bread, but to hold fast the new mystery of the Passion and Resurrection. For here the Apostle plainly teaches that we ought neither to keep it outside the season of unleavened bread, as the heretics do, especially the Phrygians...but named the days of unleavened bread, the Passover, and the Pentecost, thus ratifying the Gospel (Pionius. Life of Polycarp, Chapter 2. Translated by J. B. Lightfoot, The Apostolic Fathers, vol. 3.2, 1889, pp.488-506).

Thus, the "apostle to the Gentiles" (Romans 11:13), taught Gentile Christians in Asia Minor to keep the Holy Days. Days many now consider to be Jewish and not Christian--but apparently Paul considered them important for all Christians to keep (see also 1 Corinthians 5:7-8 where he told the Gentiles in Corinth to keep them as well).

Regards
Paul
Paul -

This may strike a strange note but here goes - The apostles did not have all the answers. By reading Acts 15 we find Paul and Barnabas going to Jerusalem to figure out what the gentiles should be required to do - this was at least 18 years after the ascension of Jesus - 18 years later they were not sure what to do with the gentiles!

Paul also shaved his head and took Jewish vows - should we?

Yes Paul did continue to observe the appointed times, He was a Jew and continued in his Jewish faith save acceptance of Jesus as the Messiah.

As for the Passover mentioned - Acts 18 Paul is returning to Jerusalem to observe the Passover, thus he is returning to the promised land, to the Temple and the still existing Levite Priest system which was soon to be gone.

I have never read in the Scriptures where Paul is keeping any appointed time with gentile converts - I have read where he instructs regarding the Lords supper, many surplant the word Passover there but that is incorrect. The meal Jesus enjoyed with His disciples the night before His death was not the Passover meal and a reading of Johns account makes that plain. Why did His accusers not want to go into Pilates court? Because they would be defiled and not be able to partake of Passover. His death fulfilled the Passover requirements thus He instituted a "new" appointed time, that being the meal He had with His disciples - we call it communion today in the church. My family eats a meal the night before Passover and we remember what was done that night - not a requirement, merely something we do.

Gods peace
Ron
Hey Ron, this is some good stuff. It sounds like you are up on the study and history of Paul better than I am. You make some good points, some good info.

Are you saying that the timing in Acts 18 is before the crucifixon or after? I'm not sure I get that statement.

I agree with you about the last paragraph. I see the timing and events the same. I believe the meal that Jesus shared with his disciples, which became the memorial, took place just after sunset at the end of the 13th day, beginning the 14th day. I think the time framework around this series of events leading up to the crucifixion causes a lot of confusion for people. We do know that Ellen White wrote about the moon being full or near full the night of the 14th after the meal when they went to Gethsemane.

Then Jesus became the sacrifice at the time of the afternoon sacrifice during the daytime on the 14th. I still have questions about the evening sacrifice and what time of the day it should be. Much of what I have found says that the Priests had moved the evening sacrifice earlier in the day that what was originally done. I just don't have a stake driven in this point yet.

Good stuff, thanks
Paul
Hi Paul - Of course all of Paul's writings were after the crucifixion silly lol.

Paul did keep the feasts, we know this to be true to a point but he did ot keep them with gentile converts nor did he teach them to keep them at all. Paul would return to Jerusalem to be with his family most likely and as a Jew it was his heritage, this does not mean he observed them by sacrificing but think of it this way - what better time for him to go and teach of Jesus then when most of the Jewish nation would be gathered in one place?

Gods peace
Ron
This came up in an earlier conversation today, and I realized I had neglected to include it here. I expect there will be all sorts of explanations and interpretations about this verse, and particularly the bold text. But following Michele's rule of only reading the text as is, with no interpretation, it pinpoints exactly what ceased at the cross. Now I'll grant you someone will say, that that infers all of the sanctuary feast appointed times of Lev 23. But is that what it says?

Dan 9:27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.
Here's a couple of questions to ponder;

1. Are the items listed in Leviticus 23 "divine institutions?" Whether you call them "feasts" "seasons" "appointed times" or whatever you want to call them, were they instituted by God as "divine institutions?" Simple question. A straight reading should provide a simple answer.

2. What is the meaning of "every" in the following quote?

In the time of the end every divine institution is to be restored. The breach made in the law at the time the Sabbath was changed by man, is to be repaired.

Again, a simple question, and a straight reading should provide a simple answer.

Considering of course that the "sacrifices and oblations" will not be restored.

Dan 9:27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

And forgive me, here's a 3rd question to ponder, which may be part of the other two or not. This could be a learning moment with this one.

Is there an example in scripture where a divine institution has been done away with, other than the feasts that allegedly have been done away with.

And the answers are................

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by