Adventist Online

WHY are soo many denominational writers of the Sabbath School quarterlies written or referenced from

THe N.I,.V version of the Bible An N.A.S.B ,, WHEN I see soo many errors in these translations Or Am I out of line here?

Views: 65

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

all the knowledge we have available is sooo much in 2 life times I still could not absorb what is available in Sis Whites books alone let alone historical events of the past . I am but a knucklehead trying to get across that if a translation states something that is theoretically based ,, in error why quote from it ?.
YES,, their be times when the other translations makes it clearer in your mind so go ahead an read it but do we not all need disearnment too? IF a newer translation translates verses in error contradicting what is known as truth is it valuable to quote from it ?.
Taking the time to not only read what is stated but disearning what it does not say too is important. . I see from what is written an from what people state repeately an I can get a general idea but not perfect what they are like..
I do not debate what is wrong or right I just simply state what I have seen only an I ask to show me where I be wrong..? If all I get back is opinions an self remarks of what value is this and how is it going to show me error from the truth . ?
IS what I ask a unreasonable question?
By the way, the NIV's going to be updated sometime, I believe.
Hi Murray, great discussion. The NIV is in serious error. It is not the word of God. It has over 5000 omissions and multiple changed words.The NIV is a catholic ecumenical agenda that the enemy is behind.i wrote the author of one of the recent SS school guides protesting his use of the NIV showing that one word changed the meaning. he replied that he just likes the readability. I have the AKJV in my computer, a great version that is online only, and corresponds exactly with the KJV

SECRET/MYSTERY “MYSTERY”

Although the Sabbath School Lessons are generally good, it’s really sad the author chose to use the NIV in some Bible references. I also have a EGW devotional put out by the Review and Herald that uses other liberal translations, the NLT, that change the wording at Christ’s creating of the grape juice at the wedding feast to say the guests are drunk on alcoholic wine. I guess the up side is that as we are aware of the possibilities of the real meanings God intended that could be changed, we may chose to “keep a sharper lookout” to see what has been changed and to be sure we understand what God is telling us.
In this week’s lesson page 56, Sabbath afternoons reading, 2nd par. it states “the secret power of lawlessness” (2nd Thess. 2:7 NIV.) When I saw this, it jumped out at me. The KJV says, 2Th 2:7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.
Here is the AKJV: 2Th 2:7 For the mystery of iniquity does already work: only he who now lets will let, until he be taken out of the way.
The problem here is that a “secret” is not a mystery. We know that throughout the Bible and EGW, sin, lawlessness, and iniquity is defined as a mystery, because there is no excuse or reason for it. If there was, then we would have justification to cling to sin. If sin is a “secret” then many would want to be let into that “secret” to attain to that higher plane of existence just as Satan inferred when he tempted Eve, saying in effect “Here is a secret, ye shall be as gods knowing good and evil.”
The inference here is to “ good knowledge already attained to” not the real mystery for which there is no excuse or reason.
Quick definitions (secret)
▸ noun: information known only to a special group ("The secret of Cajun cooking")
Quick definitions (mystery)
▸ noun: something that baffles understanding and cannot be explained
We can see the difference in the dictionary definitions here. A secret is not a mystery and the NIV completely changes the intended meaning.
Here is the Greek word used in the original languages. This word is interchangeable for “secret” and “mystery.” But I do believe the translators of the NIV are manifesting irresponsibility by using “secret.” Ellen white bears this out.
G3466
μυστήριον
mustērion
moos-tay'-ree-on
From a derivative of μύω muō (to shut the mouth); a secret or “mystery” (through the idea of silence imposed by initiation into religious rites): - mystery.
The idea of silence imposed by initiation is not a “mystery,” it is a secret. It appears the problem may also go back to the Strong’s translations. One cannot be silent upon something that is unknown, such as a mystery. The context here is silence upon a secret But as I said, the NIV translators appear to be ill-advised to use “secret” within 2nd Thess. 2:7. The translators of the KJV also got it right.
ELLEN WHITE ON THE MYSTERY OF INIQUITY
THE apostle Paul, in his second letter to the Thessalonians, foretold the great apostasy which would result in the establishment of the papal power. He declared that the day of Christ should not come, "except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshiped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God." And furthermore, the apostle warns his brethren that "the mystery of iniquity doth already work." 2 Thess. 2:3, 4, 7. Even at that early date he saw, creeping into the church, errors that would prepare the way for the development of the Papacy. {SR 326.1}
Little by little, at first in stealth and silence and then more openly as it increased in strength and gained control of the minds of men, the mystery of iniquity carried forward its deceptive and blasphemous work. Almost imperceptibly the customs of heathenism found their way into the Christian church. The spirit of compromise and conformity was restrained for a time by the fierce persecutions which the church endured under paganism. But as persecution ceased, and Christianity entered the courts and palaces of kings, she laid aside the humble simplicity of Christ and His apostles for the pomp and pride of pagan.
Notice here the Lord’s prophet does not use “secret.”

Chap. 9 - The Mystery of Sin
Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so. ... Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee. Eze. 28:14, 15. {TMK 15.1}
It is impossible to explain the origin of sin so as to give a reason for its existence. Yet enough may be understood concerning both the origin and the final disposition of sin, to make fully manifest the justice and benevolence of God in all His dealings with evil. Nothing is more plainly taught in Scripture than that God was in no wise responsible for the entrance of sin. . . . Sin is an intruder, for whose presence no reason can be given. It is mysterious, unaccountable; to excuse it, is to defend it. Could excuse for it be found, or cause be shown for its existence, it would cease to be sin. Our only definition of sin is that given in the word of God; it is "the transgression of the law;" (1 John 3:4) it is the outworking of a principle at war with the great law of love which is the foundation of the divine government.{TMK 15.2}
Sin originated in self-seeking. Lucifer, the covering cherub, desired to be first in heaven. He sought to gain control of heavenly beings, to draw them away from their Creator, and to win their homage to himself. . . . Thus he deceived angels. Thus he deceived men. He led them to doubt the word of God, and to distrust His goodness. . . . Thus he drew men to join him in rebellion against God, and the night of woe settled down upon the world. {TMK 15.3}
Sin appeared in a perfect universe. . . . The reason of its inception or development was never explained and never can be, even at the last great day when the judgment shall sit and the books be opened. . . . At that day it will be evident to all that there is not, and never was, any cause for sin. At the final condemnation of Satan and his angels and of all men who have finally identified themselves with him as transgressors of God's law, every mouth will be stopped. When the hosts of rebellion, from the first great rebel to the last transgressor, are asked why they have broken the law of God, they will be speechless. There will be no answer to give. {TMK 15.4
Great misunderstandings can result from the misuse of one word, so my view is to get rid of the problem Bible versions, and use the KJV, or one of its close variants, still being careful to refer to the original languages, and depend on the Holy Spirit for understandings of His word. Bible study is a demanding, very rewarding duty. Why muddy up the waters with corrupted Bible versions?
In the daily life we are to follow Christ's example. Then into the religious life will come the peace that passes understanding. We are not to engage in any employment or enterprise to gain the praise or honor of men. We are not to speak one word or do one action that will lower in the minds of others the ideal they have of the One who died a death of shame on the cross that He might purchase the privilege of saving His enemies.--Letter 196, Sept. 18, 1901, to an administrator at the St. Helena Sanitarium. {TDG 270.5}

Go here for Amazing Bible teachings; www.AmazingFacts.org Steve
well steven in my younger adys I had the NEW ENGLISH BIBLE bible and read from it i have read also from the NIV THE NEW ENGLISH bible I was uncomfortable with right off THE N I V BIBLE IS A LITTLE MORE SNEAKY FOR it appears on the outward idea t o be just a little different...
I had a pastor that said it wa sof the thought context no toriginal meaning. .HE claims that NASB IS the most accurate Bible their is but when I Go to see for myself on Bile Gateway and see the compareon I be lost as to how they come up with a translation that is so far off that it changes the meaning. . In my mind it is not reasonable to change the meaning just to convey a truth . LET SAY APASTOR goes t orussia t o hold a crusade and the translator that interpets what he says change it so what h esaid is no the message that was conveyed . is this right o r wrong ? /
Travis u are very young ok but I have seen what u have written too knowledge is good but wisdom is knowing how to apply the knowledge that is their . Iknow if you allow the Holy Spirit t oguide u more YOU will be used in these last days in ways you neve dreamed of. . For me all I Can hope is that I can provide a small spark to ignite in others minds to get them to see needless arguments and self seeking is useless.
GOD had plans for Jeraboam but he took it upon himself and did not wait on the Lord an corrupted his mind nullifyed what the LORD had for him. /. I Messed up sooo many times in the past cause I would not listen to sound reasoning thinking it was presumptious if I Did so..
I had a desire to d o great things But I allowed personal desires an expectations to draw me away an it seems like a mist was over my mind so that what I wanted to do is not what I did. in the long run . . young folks listen to reason .
Since the Received Text is usually what people mean by the "true" Bible, what would they say to the fact that the KJV could have been translated better?

Do you think that the Septuagint was the Word of God, even though it was slightly different than the manuscripts we have today?
DONT REALLY know the answer to that question Travis I dont have access to the Septugaint truthfully speaking . . I just know from reading diffeent versions they can not be soo far off and it make s me wonder if the english language is what u writing ho wcan it it be so far off in meaning if u be honestly trying t o make it accurate do the y not know , If u put your own twist to what the original says out of bias U can not prosper spiritually. ?.
I know for a fact pentecostal ministers twist what the scriptures say out of fear they will lose their members or the members wont want them an they wont be paid as well .. . I do not know from studing personally if what Bro Steven here says is true about THE N.I V bible but I have heard from others similar reports soo I be inclined to believe it is true. . .
Maybe one of those that are more knowledagable can help in this question lets ASK one of our schollars about the Septugiant for what they have seen an not myself?
NIV teaches that Jesus is also a sinner

Psalm 51:5 (King James Version)

5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

Psalm 51:5 (New International Version)

5 Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me.

If any man is born as a sinner then Jesus is also born as sinner.
So does the King James. (In other places.)
Because the papacy is busy infiltrating.
Hey ... that's cool. I hope they send lots of representitives to come to our churches. I think it is a great way to witness to them. How else could we reach them. Exposure to Truth can not hurt them. Just as exposure to error can't harm those who are His.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service