Adventist Online

Why is there so much focus on discussing things about the Pope, womans ordination,  LGBT issues in the church, carrying guns, taking vengeance etc  ?

Can’t we focus on the things that are important to Jesus like feeding those who are hungry, caring for the needy. One of the biggest sins of ancient Israel was that it focused on religious things and not looking after its poor, widows , orphans etc. This is stated in Isaiah. Infact according to Ezekiel the big evil that Sodom commited was the neglect of the poor and widows.

"In a special sense, Christ has laid upon His church the duty of caring for the needy among its own members. He suffers His poor to be in the borders of every church. They are always to be among us, and He places upon the members of the church a personal responsibility to care for them.

As the members of a true family care for one another, ministering to the sick, supporting the weak, teaching the ignorant, training the inexperienced, so is "the household of faith" to care for its needy and helpless ones. Upon no consideration are these to be passed by". Ministry of Healing Ch 13

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me,I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Mattheew 25 :34-40

Views: 190

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

am in total agreement with you ZJOutback. we are unfortunately majoring on the minors. true practical Christianity is what is needed.  Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep ourselves unspotted from the world (James 1:27).

Having a theoretical knowledge of Jesus and the little horn will not get us to heaven, neither will it make us stand during the times of the great tribulations. However, Knowing the Father and Jesus Christ whom He sent will. And the Comforter is poured out without measure to teach us all things and bring us to rememberance of what the Lord has taught us.

And we are to be transformed into His (Jesus) likeness, by beholding Him, not by knowing the little horn and all other. They are important for us yes, by that is not the source of our salvation.

Knowing the prophecy should lead us to Christ, not to panick mode and being suspicious of those not in our fold. We infact should be led to reaching our to them after understanding the danger they are in....if we do not warn them, remember the watchman of Ezekiel 33? That is us.

Thanks for calling us back to the true religion. May God lead us all back into His fold, that we may have the right perspective of the happenings in the world and the right esteem of things pertaining to true religion.

Mic 6:6  Wherewith shall I come before the LORD, and bow myself before the high God? shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves of a year old? 7  Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, or with ten thousands of rivers of oil? shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? 8  He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?
God Bless

As the members of a true family care for one another, ministering to the sick, supporting the weak, teaching the ignorant, training the inexperienced, so is "the household of faith" to care for its needy and helpless ones. Upon no consideration are these to be passed by". Ministry of Healing Ch 13

I believe that is the major-purpose of this homepage....

Sick/lonely/isolated people who cannot participate in a church-society have a place here to exchange thoughts, get new friends and have at least some kind of social contact. Others are teaching and those who need answers are learning here, discussing bible-topics and how we should live as Christians (even those questions you would never ask in church) => that's helping and caring those needy and helpless just in a different way and dimension than it was possible during Jesus times.

The brother or sister ZJOutback said: 

"Can’t we focus on the things that are important to Jesus like feeding those who are hungry, caring for the needy. One of the biggest sins of ancient Israel was that it focused on religious things and not looking after its poor, widows , orphans etc. This is stated in Isaiah. Infact according to Ezekiel the big evil that Sodom commited was the neglect of the poor and widows."

Are you sure of this brother? Are these the most important things? read on

And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing1 Corinthians 13:3

When you give to someone in need, don't do as the hypocrites do--blowing trumpets in the synagogues and streets to call attention to their acts of charity! I tell you the truth, they have received all the reward they will ever get. Matthew 6:2

Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.  James 1:27

A Christian who has love will help those in need but this will be done out of pure love not to be saved.

How does one keep himself unstained by the world?  Is it not those same issues you made mention of which are polluting the members? Can't see you this? Don't you know that many who help the poor and feed the needy will burn in hell fire? 

Then you spoke a bout reading Isaiah and then went on to say that "according to Ezekiel the big evil that Sodom commited was the neglect of the poor and widows."

Is this so my brother or Sister? while we agree that the Church is called to help the needy and poor, this is not the main function of the Church. Now lets examine this Ezekiel text  you spoke about:  Her fullness of bread led her to neglect the poor, but her main sin was the Abomination. 

Look, this was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: She and her daughter had pride, fullness of food, and abundance of idleness; neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.  And they were haughty and committed abomination before Me; therefore I took them away as I saw fit Ezekiel 16:49,50

"A Christian who has love will help those in need but this will be done out of pure love not to be saved."

I agree with this. I think that being saved is not the ultimate goal of being a Christian. I think that following in the footsteps of Jesus is much more important than being saved. Ellen white says that if we follow in the foot steps of Jesus this will often lead to the beds of the afflicted and diseased and prison cells of those incarcerated.

following in the fot steps of Jesus means doing what is important to Him. By way He lived Jesus demonstrated that what is most important to him is caring for the needy and vulnerable. This is much more important than being saved one day.

Yes indeed, Moses and Paul are examples of men that would have gladly given up their own salvation, if that loss could have brought others into the kingdom of God.

"But where are the burden bearers? where are the fathers and mothers in Israel? Where are those who carry upon the heart the burden for souls and who come in close sympathy with their fellow men, ready to place themselves in any position to save them from eternal ruin?" (4T 535) 

Isaiah 58 has much to say about practical Christianity, but it blends practicality with teaching. We are to "lose the bands of wickedness, and let the oppressed go free". Of course the freedom we are primarily concerned about, is spiritual freedom. And it is truth that sets people free.

You have your priority wrong my friend.  Go and read the new testament over.  Did you know that the RC church helps the most needy and vulnerable people in the world? 

Do you hear what you are saying? Doing good is more important than being saved? 

@ZJOutback

Actually I am saying that following in the foot steps of Jesus and doing the work that He has done on earth , for our example, is more important than eternal life.

@ZJOutback you should read this verse and understand it

The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, Luke 4:18

to preach the Gospel to the poor: in Isaiah it is, "to the meek"; which design the same persons, and mean such as are poor in spirit, and are sensible of their spiritual poverty; have low and humble thoughts of themselves, and of their own righteousness; and seek to Christ for durable riches and true righteousness, and frankly acknowledge that all they have and are, is owing to the grace of God: and generally speaking, these are the poor of this world, and poor in their intellectuals, who have but a small degree of natural wisdom and knowledge: to these the Gospel, or glad tidings of the love, grace, and mercy of God in Christ, of peace, pardon, righteousness, life and salvation by Christ, were preached by him; and that in so clear a manner, and with such power and authority, as never was before, or since; and for this purpose was he anointed with the oil of gladness above his fellows: 

he hath sent me to heal the broken hearted; whose hearts are broken, and made contrite by the word of God, under the influence of the Spirit of God, and with a sense of sin; and are wounded with it, and are humbled for it; and are in great pain and distress, and even inconsolable, and ready to faint and die; for a wounded spirit who can bear? now Christ was sent to heal such persons by his own stripes, by binding up their wounds, by the application of his blood to them, which is a sovereign balm for every wound; by the discoveries of pardoning grace to their souls, and by opening and applying the comfortable promises of the Gospel, by his Spirit, to them: 

to preach deliverance to the captives; who are captives to sin, Satan, and the law; from which, there is only deliverance by him; who saves his people from their sins, redeems them from the law, and leads captivity captive; and which liberty and deliverance are preached and published in the Gospel, and by Christ the author of them: 

and recovering of sight to the blind; which in the prophet is, "and the opening of the prison to them that are bound"; and which the Septuagint render, as here in Luke, and the Chaldee paraphrase in part agrees with it, interpreting it thus, "to the prisoners", "be ye revealed to the light" now because persons in prison are in darkness, and see no light, therefore they are represented as blind; and both are the case of sinners, they are in the prison of sin and of the law, and are blind, ignorant, and insensible of their state; until Christ both opens the prison, and sets them free, and opens their eyes, and gives them spiritual sight; when he says to the prisoners go forth, to them that are in darkness show yourselves,Isaiah 49:9

To set at liberty them that are bruised: these words are not inIsaiah 61:1 but in the Septuagint version of Isaiah 58:6 from whence they seem to be taken, or else from Isaiah 42:7 it being allowable for a reader in the prophets, to skip from place to place, which our Lord here did, in order to explain this passage more fully. Gill

it is all about JESUS!

amen

and once we collectively and individually get a hold of WHO HE truly is

and What He actually did for us

there will be no stopping the GOOD NEWS in our walk and talk and thought and heart

gays and others who feel left out will be overcrowding our churches!

bringing the work done!

#the fourth Angel!

fourth Angel message? 

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link: