Adventist Online

WHY DO SEVENTH DAY ADVENTISTS CELEBRATE MOTHER'S DAY ISN'T IT A PAGAN HOLIDAY?

SHOULD SEVENTH DAY ADVENTIST CELEBRATE MOTHER'S DAY? WHERE DID IT COME FROM--CAUSE WE ARE STUDYING ABOUT TRADITION IN THIS WEEK'S QUARTER...ARE WE SERIOUS ABOUT FINDING OUT ABOUT OUR PASSED-DOWN TRADITIONS--AND ARE WE SERIOUS WHEN WE HAVE FOUND OUT IN MAKING CHANGES...MOTHER'S DAY IS DOWNLOAD AND READ AND DISCOVER FOR YOURSELF...CAUSE UNTIL HAVE NO CLUE AS TO WHAT ALL THESE CALENDAR HOLIDAYS WE ARE CELEBRATING AS SEVENTH DAY ADVENTISTS, WE REALLY HAVE NO BUSINESS TELLING PEOPLE OUTSIDE OF OUR FAITH ANYTHING--PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE ATTACHMENT FILE--

Views: 3422

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wonder too why Mother's Day is celebrated in the church, and Valentine's Day seems to be passed over without a second thought. Why is celebrating the love of a mother more important than celebrating the love of a spouse or special friend?

Hello Asha,

Mother’s Day is a day of acknowledgement toward mothers, it’s not unlike Thanksgiving; a national day to acknowledge and be thankful. Valentine’s Day is quite different, its roots stems towards the worship of false gods. Here are some excerpts from a magazine article, “Seven Satanic Deceptions.”

Should Christians observe Valentine's Day? In 496ad, Pope Gelasius I established the Feast of St. Valentine on February 14. Previously, since the days of ancient Rome, young lovers had often observed the Lupercalia—the feast of Lupercus, a fertility god—on February 15. Even in ancient Greece, mid-February was associated with love and fertility; the Greek month of Gamelion, ending in mid-February, was associated with the marriage of the gods Zeus and Hera.

The historian Will Durant gave this analysis: "Christianity did not destroy paganism; it adopted it. The Greek mind, dying, came to a transmigrated life in the theology and liturgy of the church; the Greek language, having reigned for centuries over philosophy, became the vehicle of Christian literature and ritual; the Greek mysteries passed down into the impressive mystery of the Mass. Other pagan cultures contributed to the syncretist result.… Christianity was the last creation of the ancient pagan world" (The Story of Civilization, pp. 595, 599).

Brother Pepes, grace and peace in our Lord unto all good works done in His name at this time of darkness and great deception. While doing a google search on the origins of Mother's Day I came across your post and as I am also a faithful Seventh-day Adventist I checked-out the link that you have provided on this subject. The information that you have provided is correct, however, it is also incomplete as to the actual origins of Mother's Day. Mother's Day does in-fact find it's origins in the Roman Catholic Church in A.D. 325 at the Council of Nicea in direct association with the Pagan Festival of Easter.

As Seventh-day Adventist we are called to be restorers of the breach and it is our responsibility to set the record straight on doctrine and this includes the celebration of Pagan Festivals. I know that the official position of the Seventh-day Adventist Church does not prohibit the recognition of Mother's Day, however, the same can be said about the rest of the Pagan Festival days also. Duplicity of worship has been the downfall of God's people throughout the Old Testament and continues into the present day.  Do we simply justify our position in these matters with a feel good philosophy so we can participate with the rest of the world, or do we follow what God tells us in His word?

Revelation 18:4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

Colossians 2:21 Touch not; taste not; handle not; (22 Which all are to perish with the using; after the commandments and doctrines of men?

Isaiah 58:12 And they that shall be of thee shall build the old waste places: thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in.

Origins of Mother's http://www.adventistreview.org/141513-14Day

Much love in Christ,

Brother George

Pastor T, may your blessings be multiplied today and always in Christ Jesus our Lord. Thank you for your thoughtful response and I am in agreement with the principle of what you are saying. However, what I have observed concerning Mother's Day is much the same as that which happens at Christmas. We have guidance from the Spirit Of Prophecy which if followed provides us with an acceptable way to both recognize and use this season for the advancement of the Church in the world. Sadly this is not what happens the council we have is used only as an excuse to run after the world in participating in this Pagan Festival.

Mother's Day can also be a time of showing our love and appreciation, as well as, a season to advance the mission of the Church in the world. If our acts of kindness and recognition were practical and spiritual in nature or if our gifts were inexpensive or made by our own hands this would embody that spirit of love. And if we made a thank offering to the Lord worth half the value of each gift this would be in accordance with the council we have on gift giving at Christmas. We need not ignore the opportunity to show Christian love and kindness on Mother's Day but if we expect to have God's blessing we need to put Him first in all that we do.

well said brother

The reasons given for observing Mother's Day as well as other pagan holidays are impressive but questionable. There are statements like:

• Without a mother there is no life.
  • No gift to a mother equals her gift to you - life.

The same statements can (and have indeed been) be used for Sunday worship and Christmas which increasingly creep into the Sabbath School lessons. Notice...

• Without resurrection Sunday there is no Monday or Saturday.
  • Christ is the new Sabbath.
  • Without Christmas there is no salvation.

I imagine a Sunday keeper may argue in the same way, rephrasing statements to say, "Nobody is celebrating the Greek goddesses or pagan holidays. We are simply celebrating two important points of Jesus, with the opportunity to outreach into the community." In fact, a Seventh-day Adventist church in Hunstville, Al. has recently used the same argument to justify Sunday services. (See separate thread).

One of the things Rome has done is to institute a church calendar to spite the Jewish holidays and to "change times and laws". The retinue of pagan holidays adopted by the Universal Church is long. When the bride of Christ adopts the same calendar, we are asking to be considered like the whore of Babylon. Will we now adopt Lent to celebrate the Adventist Health Message?

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service