Adventist Online

I was listening to the sermon last Sabbath and the pastor was mentioning Sister White and used Rev 12:17 and 19:10 to prove that she was the Spirit of Prophecy, and since she is, then therefore our church is the remnant church. I don't disagree that we have the remnant message, or that Mrs. White had prophetic visions, but what hit me when I read these verses is this,: the spirit of prophecy, the very heart of prophecy, the focus and destination and ultimate purpose of prophecy, not the letter of- but the spirit of, is the testimony of Jesus, the written Word and spoken Word about the Living Word. Does anyone understand this concept? So why do we call sister white the SOP?

Views: 1714

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lol

You did? Working on the venerable day of the sun? 

The earliest recognition of the observance of Sunday as a legal duty is a constitution of Constantine in A.D. 321, enacting that all courts of justice, inhabitants of towns, and workshops were to be at rest on Sunday (venerabili die Solis), with an exception in favour of those engaged in agricultural labour...The Council of Laodicea (363) ... forbids Christians from judaizing and resting on the Sabbath day, preferring the Lord's day, and so far as possible resting as Christians."-Encyclopaedia Britannica, 1899 Edition, Vol. XXIII, page 654

Yes, and the way my back feels after all that, doing it the "old school way" it feels like Constantine took umbrage to me working on his sainted day, came back from the dead, put on a pair of Doc Martin's and kicked me repeatedly in the lower back.

Nearly a 10 foot pad, 2" think we gravel and chicken wire to hold it together for a substructure.  It is curing today.  Part of an attempt to make a more easily cleaned coop.  Rake out the shavings, spray it down, put down dry shavings, and your meat birds won't be living in their own filth.

Excellent Herbert. We must be our own worst critic, in a sense, while still recognizing the good that we do. But we can always get it better, no matter what humans are engaged in.

Thanks Binghy

You ever wo der why a lesser light is necessary. when the sun arises we turn off flashlights and lamps are no longer necessary. All Christians have light which reflect Christ, and we afe required to let it shine. looking for the lesser light of a spiritual guru, lessens our own influence. We end up perpetuating an agenda, rather than holding up Christ.

Leon

I agree we need to be accurate in our terminology.  Like, why do we call the writings of Sister White, Sister White?

Ellen White published a book called "The Spirit of Prophecy, Volume 1", in 1870, and then 3 more volumes in the next 14 years.  These were later replaced by "The Conflict of the Ages Series", (1890 - 1911), "Patriarchs and Prophets", "Prophets and Kings", "Desire of Ages", "Acts of the Apostles", and "The Great Controversy".  But, these days, all her statements are called "The Spirit of Prophecy".  I don't know when that tendency started.

I made a similar topic, suggesting the 18th Fundamental statement was in error, that her gift does not make us all God's remnant, as is suggested in the statement.

http://www.adventistonline.com/forum/topics/ellen-white-as-a-requir...

I agree.Rush

Her work should be examined like all.other Christian authors, truth should be kept and error disguarded.

God does not make error and truth to flow through his testimonies.. are you saying that God is the author of error now?  Either the work of a prophet is from God or the Devil and since her ministry, she has preserved the church from making mistakes though had they heeded all her counsels.. A lot of the problems now that we are facing would not exist and the real work is not getting done... You can argue until you are blue, but you are fighting against the testimony of Jesus Christ which in essence is exactly what Jesus calls the scriptures.. Search the scriptures, in them ye think you have eternal life, but they testify of me.. understand this and life will be so much sweeter.. we are not fighting each other here but we are fighting the devil and his demons and their spirits in men and women.. 

Excellent thoughts rush4hire. Not everyone here is completely closed minded thank God.

Leon

If you could you would have the Books of EG White burned together with the 28 fundamentals. You would ban the Sabbath and decre sunday the true day of worship. As well as Kissing the picture of the Pope.

Love you Ian, and I forgive the slight.

If putting someone is Christ's place is blasphemy, then most Adventists are guilty of this. I'm glad someone has brought this up, because I cringe every time I hear Sister White's writings referred to as 'Spirit of Prophecy'. The Bible clearly says that the "testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy"......that is J E S U S !

The first verses of Revelation also say that "The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent signified it by his angel unto his servant John: who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw. Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: fot the time is at hand."

The testimony of Jesus was given to John. Blesssed are they that read and hear the things written in John's book (i.e. the book of Revelation) and blessed are they who keep the things written in it.

I have no doubt that Ellen White had the gift of prophecy, but let's not put her in Christ's place.

who do you see putting her in Christ' place? Isn't her writings the testimony of Jesus? If it is then why can't we call it the spirit of prophecy? 

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service