Adventist Online

I was listening to the sermon last Sabbath and the pastor was mentioning Sister White and used Rev 12:17 and 19:10 to prove that she was the Spirit of Prophecy, and since she is, then therefore our church is the remnant church. I don't disagree that we have the remnant message, or that Mrs. White had prophetic visions, but what hit me when I read these verses is this,: the spirit of prophecy, the very heart of prophecy, the focus and destination and ultimate purpose of prophecy, not the letter of- but the spirit of, is the testimony of Jesus, the written Word and spoken Word about the Living Word. Does anyone understand this concept? So why do we call sister white the SOP?

Views: 1725

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sister White's writings are SISTER WHITE'S WRITINGS!  She may well have received visions from above, but they are still Sister White's writings.

And the Bible is clear here that this testimony of Jesus was given to John who put it in the book Revelation.

Also....why when Adventists say Spirit of Prophecy are they only talking about the writings of Ellen White?  It's always Ellen White.  Why not refer to all the other prophets' writings as spirit of prophecy if they truly believe this is what prophetic writings should be called.

You are confusing some verses of Revelations. You are confusing the revelation of Jesus Christ with the testimony of Jesus or the Spirit of Prophecy. Please reread those verse prayerfully. 

The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John: Revelation 1:1

So the dragon was enraged with the woman, and went off to make war with the rest of her children, who keep the commandments of God and hold to the testimony of Jesus.  Revelation 12:17

Then I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, "Do not do that; I am a fellow servant of yours and your brethren who hold the testimony of Jesus; worship God. For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy." Revelation 19:10

I will post an article below which will help you I believe.

Are her writings exclusively the testimony of Jesus?

When she said: ”please pass me the wholewheat bread" this was not the testimony of Jesus;...

Not everything she said was a prophecy or was for public consumption

The book of Revelation teaches that God's end-time remnant church keeps "the commandments of God" and has "the testimony of Jesus Christ" (Rev 12:17). In a later chapter of that book, we are told that "the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy"(19:10, emphasis mine).

The apostle Paul also employs such language, using the phrases "testimony of Christ," "testimony of God," and "testimony of our Lord" (1 Cor 1:6; 2:1; 2 Tim 1:8). Similarly, the Old Testament prophet Isaiah uses the expression "the law and the testimony" (Isa 8:19-20) to refer to the messages given by God's true prophets in earlier times.

Thus, for Seventh-day Adventists, the reference to the "commandments of God and the testimony of Jesus" (Rev 12:17; cf. Rev 20:4) suggests that God's end-time people will be characterized by keeping the commandments of God (all ten of them, including the seventh-day Sabbath) and by the testimony of Jesus, that is, the everlasting gospel given through God's true prophets (including Ellen G. White). Thus, our Fundamental Beliefs #17 states in part: "One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is prophecy. This gift is an identifying mark of the remnant church and was manifested in the ministry of Ellen G. White."

But some argue that we should not equate "the testimony of Jesus" or "the spirit of prophecy" with the writings of Ellen White. While indeed we should not think that these terms refer only to Mrs. White and her work, the term "testimony of Jesus" (or "spirit of prophecy") can be used legitimately for all the messages of instruction, encouragement, and correction proclaimed by God's chosen messengers, His prophets. (See relevant verses in Rev 1:2, 9; 6:9; 12:17; 19:10; and 22:16.)

Because the gift of prophecy is an identifying mark of God's end-time remnant church (Rev 12:17) and because we believe that this gift was manifested in the ministry of Ellen G. White, the Seventh-day Adventist church is justified in referring to her writings as the Spirit of Prophecy or the Testimonies, even as we would to all inspired messages from God. Therefore, our Fundamental Beliefs #17 notes: "As the Lord's messenger, her writings are a continuing and authoritative source of truth which provide for the church comfort, guidance, instruction, and correction. They also make clear that the Bible is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested. (Joel 2:28, 29; Acts 2:14-21; Heb. 1:1-3; Rev. 12:17; 19:10.)" link

Jason

Thank you for the article.

As you know my issue is that Paul isn't given the same level of influence as Ellen White. The SOP isn't seen as the collective ministry of all God's saints, many in the current SDA denomination see Ellen White's writings in total as the SOP, and it is reflected in the wording of the fundamental doctrine. Thus, her work for some can be weightier than the collective work of the Prophets, saints and apostles that proceeded her. Think about this language, "as the lords messenger Ellen White is seen as a continuing and authoritative source of truth for the church comfort, guidance, and correction." Now scripture put the Holy spirit in this role, comforter (John 14:16), guidance (John 14:26) and correction (proverbs 1:23-30). Yet, many have supplanted the living Holy Spirit, with the writings of Ellen White. The words continuing guide,  and authoritative create the idea that Ellen White has complete authority in interpreting scripture, and is is ongoing without change. In my opinion this leads to false religion, and hiders growth in the Holy Spirit.

Leon

growth in the Holy Spirit???

interesting, the same Holy Spirit (God) led the prophets of old is the same Holy Spirit (God) who led Ellen G. White... So how does the Spirit of God in the past hinder the growth of the  the Spirit of God in the present or future when they are doing the same ministry??  If God had a message to give to them, he gave it to a prophet to tell us... TODAY, HE gave it to Ellen G. White to tell us.  Her work encompasses all the others because she gave us the a comprehensive look at the entire commentary on the entire bible from the beginning of Satan's rebellion in heaven to his final overthrow in the final judgement and the creation of the new heavens and new earth... 

So put away all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander. Like newborn infants, long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up into salvation— if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good. As you come to him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious, you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.

Hello Laura

Spiritual Growth ie, allowing the Holy Spirit to guide our hearts and choices, rather than leaning on our own understanding, or seeking to replace the influence with something or someone else.

And while staying with them he ordered them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the promise of the Father, which, he said, “you heard from me; for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.” So when they had come together, they asked him, “Lord, will you at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?” He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or seasons that the Father has fixed by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

Yes Herbert, "Yet many have supplanted the living Holy Spirit with the writings of Ellen White," and"

"The words continuing guide,  and authoritative create the idea that Ellen White has complete authority in interpreting scripture, and is is ongoing without change. In my opinion this leads to false religion, and hiders growth in the Holy Spirit." Obviously one too many "is," no big deal, but I assume you mean hiders to be "hinders growth in the Holy Spirit.' 

YES I AGREE, THESE THINGS ARE TRUE. Organizations including denominations often start out good to some extent (and continue to do some good), but often lose sight of their goals and beginnings and become entrenched and inflexible in the bad sense, and go against what they are supposed to be about and doing.

Regarding the danger of elevating EGW above Paul;

2 Peter 3:15-16 “ And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction."

Jesus appointed Paul. Peter, Like, and even James recognized Psul's ministry. Yet most SDA ignore Pail and exalt EGW.

Now, there are at least two places in the scriptures regarding revelation (one being the sheet with animals representing the Gentiles to Peter that they were acceptable to God.) wherein the word trance is used. They should be translated more properly "vision, " as in visual revelation. Bod does not put believers in a trance, but the Devil does.

Now I have read and many Adventists relate that EGW held up a heavy Bible for what, imsny hours. Also I hxve read she lost consciousness. Both of these are possible indicators of that which God does not do to believers,  in manifesting any manifestation of God. In 44 years of operating the manifestations, I nor anyone else who does also to my knowledge has ever lost consciousness, been slain in the spirit etc.

In speaking in tongues in private prayer, in interpretation of tongues, prophesy, revelation, faith, working of miracles and gifts of healing under no time does the spirit take over a believer of do they have a loss of consciousness.

Yet EGW is exalted as a prophet, and Paul is ignored? I do not say EGW is not a prophet., but I have my doubts.

You are full of bull's dung!!!

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by