Adventist Online

why do women still preach when the Bible says that women should be silent at church?

Views: 1926

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is an Interesting study by Angel Manuel Rodríguez, Th.D.

Then this meaning is applicable to women and men, all the believers.
Tafadzwa, Thank you for the information, is very useful.
It is important to use the silent, Paul had razon ha ha :)

Amelia,

Angel Manuel Rodriguez is pro WO so that gives you a powerful ally. Not that I believe he is correct. 

I would argue that by their very nature, biologically speaking, women cannot operate as ordained ministers in God's church.  

Leviticus 15:19-28

And if a woman have an issue, and her issue in her flesh be blood, she shall be put apart seven days: and whosoever toucheth her shall be unclean until the even.

And every thing that she lieth upon in her separation shall be unclean: every thing also that she sitteth upon shall be unclean.

And whosoever toucheth her bed shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the even.

And whosoever toucheth any thing that she sat upon shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the even.

And if it be on her bed, or on any thing whereon she sitteth, when he toucheth it, he shall be unclean until the even.

And if any man lie with her at all, and her flowers be upon him, he shall be unclean seven days; and all the bed whereon he lieth shall be unclean.

And if a woman have an issue of her blood many days out of the time of her separation, or if it run beyond the time of her separation; all the days of the issue of her uncleanness shall be as the days of her separation: she shall be unclean.

Every bed whereon she lieth all the days of her issue shall be unto her as the bed of her separation: and whatsoever she sitteth upon shall be unclean, as the uncleanness of her separation.

And whosoever toucheth those things shall be unclean, and shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the even.

But if she be cleansed of her issue, then she shall number to herself seven days, and after that she shall be clean.

Women have an extremely important role in life.  They are the home-makers, they nurture, they raise children, etc.  One of the chief reasons this world is going rapidly downhill is because women have left their natural calling in life behind.  They have been swayed and coerced by the media to think that being mothers and home-makers is not enough which is why we have women competing with men in the workplace and the raising of children is sidelined in favour of progressing in their chosen career path.  The feminist movement has a lot to answer for.

Eve had been perfectly happy by her husband's side in her Eden home; but, like restless modern Eves, she was flattered with the hope of entering a higher sphere than that which God had assigned her. In attempting to rise above her original position, she fell far below it. A similar result will be reached by all who are unwilling to take up cheerfully their life duties in accordance with God's plan. (PP 58)

Jason

Eve sinned as well as Adam. They're both led into sin due the deceptions of Satan. As a result we were provided with redemption. The roles of sinless beings which were equal was altered by sinful action. When Christ gained the great victory at the cross we are able to then approach God without the weight of sin. Therefore, we can return to the roles prescribed in Eden which was intended for equality. Your point if you places the greater weight of sin Eve, and apparently justifies sexism.

H. Leon Bryan Ed.D.

1 Timothy 2:  13For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve. 14And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. 15But women will be preserved through the bearing of children if they continue in faith and love and sanctity with self-restraint.

Hello Jason

Paul's writing indicate Adam and Eve's need for salvation. You may perceive his words a justification for sex role typing but they are in contradiction to other statements which clearly indicate Gods true intention for equality.

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

So Peter opened his mouth and said: “Truly I understand that God shows no partiality,

For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him.

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Putting women in their correct role is not the job of sinful man, but of Gods. Over time the role of women has changed. Some has been Gods intention and some not. Yet, if one is promoting equality in serving God, then they are in line with his will.

Leon

Good night everybody...

Ellen White was prophet and wife and mother. She no stayed raising to her children at home.

She said of her first child:

"For the good of souls we felt that we must sacrifice the company of our little Henry, that we might give ourselves unreservedly to the work. My health was poor, and he would necessarily occupy a great share of my time. It was a severe trial, yet I dared not let the child stand in the way of my duty."

"Alone before the Lord, with most painful feelings and many tears, I made the sacrifice, and gave up my only child, then one year old, for another to exercise a mother’s feelings toward him, and to act a mother’s part. We left him in Brother Howland’s family, in whom we had the utmost confidence. They were willing to bear burdens to leave us as free as possible to labor in the cause of God […] Brother Howland’s family had the whole charge of Henry for five years” (1T 86.5)

I have clear that the role of the mother is very important I’m agree, but I think that this no disqualify her as a woman for get the gift of the pastorship if the Holy Spirit wants and she is called for the Lord.

Not all the women go to get the God's calling, not all the women called go to accept it, but why deny the opportunity to others who yes can and yes want? “Being male o female is it not choose” (M.A. Nuñez) so.. why discriminate? Is it the leadership a "role"? The Bible speaks of spiritual gifts.

By the way, the responsibility of the children are both parents and not only of the mother. On the other hand, there are women who not want to be mothers and there are others who being mothers abandon to her children, so, to try impose this "role" of mother for all the women, is not correct. It is my view.

Have a great week!

Personally, I don't care what Ellen White did or said.  I would rather go with what the Bible says.

I agree. If her teaching differ from Bible why do we follow her before God? We are compromising and going against God's Word to do anything different from scripture. What is worse we make excuses and think we are justified. We forget we are taking from scriptures which is sin.

In need or Prayer

Scripture is not God. Why should you let Scripture to help them gain a relationship with God. However, one can not treated as a God. When we consult Scripture we must do so in a manner that is led by the Holy Spirit. It must invite them into our hearts and let him guide our minds into truths. One can prove practically anything from Scripture is utilized appropriately. For sample, I can make an excellent excuse for drinking, slave owning and polygamy if I want to. However, knowing that these things are not God's intention, and knowing how the Holy Spirit works with sinful mankind allows me to reason Gods purpose. Unfortunately, many Adventist believe that a superior knowledge of Scripture is a substitute for a secure relationship with Jesus Christ. These Christians should caution that they do not follow the same footsteps of the Pharisees. The Pharisees  made a religion out of doctrine, a set of a religion out of having any intimate relationship with God. There is so distant from God that they could not recognize him when he stood among them. . Christianity, is the one religion on earth in which its leader was killed by his own people. Killed, because we as sinful men cannot be in the presence of God if we are not fully committed to Him.

H. Leon Bryan Ed.D.

Good evening and a bless Sabbath to my brothers and sisters.

This evening, I will continue my discourse; and, to commence, let me by stating categorically that as a church body, adherents who are debasing female ministers/preachers must cease doing so. For in the words of Jesus, "...the one who is not against you is for you" [Luke 9:50]; and, given that these women are preaching, administering to themselves and their resources to their communities, their church members, brothers and sisters one must ceased from that exercise for he or she will be cursing and fighting God.

what is the true reason for debasing of women and by extension female pastors?

The true reason for this assault is that Christian societies across the globe have been fed misinterpreted pieces of verses with respect to women and their role from the Holy Writ by their holy men for many centuries -  [It worked like propaganda that has been used in World War 1]. This misinterpretation was not strongly dealt with; and two, as a result it has found its way as apart of these societies' culture [culture is the accepted practices/actions of a given country/county/province and one which is premise on what is taught and accepted by a given group of people].

However, reader, this have created varying attitudes towards women, and it has entrenched itself in almost every grouping - religious or nonreligious. Thus when it comes to female pastors in this 'modern era' there would be tension in some circles because of what has be taught. For prior to this era,for example during the early Christian church era, it is worthy to know that both female and male parties were involve in leading out, and there weren't the issue that is being experienced today. 

On the other hand, with respect to ordination[ which is a title], its purpose is to grant the Adventist pastor some extra privileges. Why the male clergy of the Adventist don't want to give their female pastors this title to get extra privileges as they they have their reasons. Some try to sight the misinterpreted as their reason, but that obviously is not a sound answer. Thus, I believe it that was clearly explained then the ordination discussion can take a new perspective. For what is the purpose of the female pastors. They are working as hard as their men folks. Can it be argued that this church is in the practice of segregating and debasing of women? For this is the question that has to be asked as well.

The forum for discussion

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by