Adventist Online

Why dont Adventists celebrate/take part in: Christmas, Carnival, Easter etc ?

Why dont Adventists celebrate/take part in: Christmas, Carnival, Easter etc ? any ideas?

Views: 2331

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No. I think it's you who is the funny one. lol

She said to not shun the PART ABOUT CHRIST in Christmas... Not anything else about Christmas and even the gifts are sposed to go into the mission work.. If the world is actually celebrating Christs birthday, THATS what is being celebrated, and what YOU are striving so hard to support, and you say it doesnt even matter..

You are a bit of a TRUTH-bender, in my humble opinion.. Your not bending my mind.. But I feel bad for all the minds you are bending..

You are a bit of a TRUTH-bender, in my humble opinion.. Your not bending my mind.. But I feel bad for all the minds you are bending..

We just went over this in the other thread...  PLEASE do not personalize issues.  The above statement does not glorify Christ.  It does nothing to teach others of the Truth.  It does nothing to support a fellow believer.  It only makes a negative personal statement about a fellow believer.  It breaks each of the following Site Rules & Guidelines:

4. Don't call names, make personal attacks, or use negative stereotypes against other people or groups of people.
5. No belittling of individual people, their character, their beliefs, or their motives.
6. Only rebut issues, NOT the people who write them. Do not negatively characterize others' positions or beliefs with your own value judgment. Simply state how you think the belief is wrong and what you believe the true interpretation is, while giving your basis for your belief.

Please don't stoop to this level of discourse.  Christ would not and neither should we.

May God bless us as we discuss all issues

I do apologize. I also worry for people not strong enough in the faith to be able to see the trickery being used. Jesus was not happy about the misuse of spiritual things, and I try to love people as He did. He spoke up for the ones who were being decieved by fellow believers. I am not Jesus, but have understood I am supposed to be, as much as possible, like Him. My lack of ability to speak tactfully on this, is, sadly, my humanity erupting.

I am sorry for personalizing, but it IS kind of a personal thing for me.

Sister White had many different methods of celebrating Christmas. Here is just one:

"Christmas morning we all took breakfast together--James Cornell; Florence and Clara, their two girls; Brother and Sister Moore and their three children; Sister Bahler and Etta, a girl living with them; and Sister Daniells, our cook, Father, and myself. We had a quarter of venison cooked, and stuffing. It was as tender as a chicken. We all enjoyed it very much. There is plenty of venison in market." {14MR 318.3}

“God would be well pleased if on Christmas each church would have a Christmas tree” {AH 482.1}

God gave the Israelites many festivals. I don't think God is against having time for celebrations, especially those that involve spending time together with family. They are a time to do good for others and to cherish our families.

I saw the state of the different churches since the second angel proclaimed their fall. They have been growing more and more corrupt; yet they bear the name of being Christ’s followers. It is impossible to distinguish them from the world. Their ministers take their text from the Word, but preach smooth things. The natural heart feels no objection to this. It is only the spirit and power of the truth, and the salvation of Christ, that is hateful to the carnal heart. There is nothing in the popular ministry that stirs the wrath of Satan, makes the sinner tremble, or applies to the heart and conscience the fearful realities of a judgment soon to come. Wicked men are generally pleased with a form without true godliness, and they will aid and support such a religion. Said the angel, Nothing less than the whole armor of righteousness can overcome, and retain the victory over the powers of darkness. Satan has taken full possession of the churches as a body. The sayings and doings of men are dwelt upon instead of the plain cutting truths of the word of God. Said the angel, The friendship and spirit of the world are at enmity with God. When truth in its simplicity and strength, as it is in Jesus, is brought to bear against the spirit of the world, it awakens the spirit of persecution at once. Many, very many, who profess to be Christians, have not known God. The character of the natural heart has not been changed, and the carnal mind remains at enmity with God. They are Satan’s own faithful servants, notwithstanding they have assumed another name. {1SG 189.1}

Hello Kim,

lol... what Carnival are you referring to?

Wit Christmas, I don't believe anyone here thinks Dec.25 is a Holy Day of GOD.. Is there anyone here who believes that? 

Christmas is a day that Man (traditions) did came up with, they try they best to put Jesus in it, but it's overwhelmed by all the other things connected with it.. But they don't have rights to this day, everyday belongs to GOD.. If SDA's want to come together on this day (lol.. because more than likely people are going to be off from work and school anyway), but if they choose to come together with their kids, to look back on Christ and His Life, I don't see the problem. Do SDA's know it's not a Holy Day of GOD'S, and it's not really the birth of Jesus? I would hope so.. Do they explain that to their kids in a way that doesn't take away their joy of acknowledging Jesus? I would hope so..

There's a good and a bad way to keep and come together during the time/day of Dec.25.. Which the world knows as Christmas.

EGW: "Even Christmas, the day observed professedly in honor of the birthday of Christ, has been made a most effective means of turning the mind away from Christ, away from his glory. If Christmas is kept at all, it should be kept in a way that will be in harmony with its significance. Christ should be remembered, his name honored; the old, old story of his love should be recounted. Instead of saying by our actions that we are putting Christ out of our minds and hearts, we should testify to men, to angels, and to God, that we remember our Redeemer, by following his example of self-sacrifice for others' good. But the day chosen to honor Christ is devoted by the many to honoring and pleasing themselves. Appointed to keep the Saviour in remembrance, it is spent in causing him to be forgotten. {RH, December 9, 1890 par. 3}

EGW: "If Christmas is kept at all, it should be kept in a way that will be in harmony with its significance. Christ should be remembered, his name honored; the old, old story of his love should be recounted. Instead of saying by our actions that we are putting Christ out of our minds and hearts, we should testify to men, to angels, and to God, that we remember our Redeemer, by following his example of self-sacrifice for others' good." {RH, December 9, 1890 par. 3}

See, EGW is clear, the day they choose, that was suppose to honor Christ, is really a day that many use to turn the minds away from Christ and His glory, men/women  pleasing themselves, and the day is causing Jesus to be forgotten. A person would have to self analyze themselves and make sure them and their familys are not keeping this day in this way.  

But even though it's a day they choose, and it causes Jesus to be forgotten, that doesn't mean they got exclusive rights to the day!  We SDA's can come together on that day, and on this day called Christmas by the world, EGW says " If Christmas is kept at all...",  we can give glory to GOD and HIS Son Jesus... and it goes on and says "...it should be kept in a way that will be in harmony with its significance. Christ should be remembered, his name honored; the old, old story of his love should be recounted"  

I believe we are to come together on the days GOD tell us to, but it's nothing wrong coming together on other days.. Even if one of those days is Dec.25.. which most call Christmas, to me it means Happy Joy in Christ, and everyday is a Happy joy in Christ Day, everyday is Christmas!

Bless!

Wit Christmas, I don't believe anyone here thinks Dec.25 is a Holy Day of GOD.. Is there anyone here who believes that?

I don't know - Ellen White seems to feel it is rather sacred:

"Although we do not know the exact day of Christ’s birth, we would honor the sacred event. May the Lord forbid that any one should be so narrow minded as to overlook the event because there is an uncertainty in regard to the exact time.?” —The Review and Herald, December 17, 1889.

Mind Bender,

"Although we do not know the exact day of Christ’s birth, we would honor the sacred event. May the Lord forbid that any one should be so narrow minded as to overlook the event because there is an uncertainty in regard to the exact time.?” —The Review and Herald, December 17, 1889.

Mind B, EGW is saying the event Jesus birth is sacred, not the day of Dec.25th... she said "we do not know the exact day of Christ's birth", but   "we would honor the sacred event"... the event is His birth! and we can honor the sacred event anytime, be it on Dec.25 or we can honor the birth of Jesus today if we like.

Nowhere does EGW say the day Dec.25th sacred. Nowhere in the Bible does GOD say Dec.25th is an Holy day...   

Peace!!

So then - you are saying that Christmas can be celebrated ANY day but you don't like it on Dec.25th. OR - Are you saying it's okay to celebrate it on Dec.25th?

Celebrating it on the 25th  squares with the example of Sister White. For she only celebrated it on Dec.25th and  instructed all of us to do the same. 

(for an example of the references - see my previous posts)

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2021   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service