Adventist Online

Why dont Adventists celebrate/take part in: Christmas, Carnival, Easter etc ?

Why dont Adventists celebrate/take part in: Christmas, Carnival, Easter etc ? any ideas?

Views: 2335

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I feel that you are being judgmental by saying that mindbender is "trying to deceive". And to say that what he is saying is crazy and stupid -   what ever happened to thinking the best of someone else's remarks? What about Christian love? Can't you try to look at his statements from the very best possible view before judging what he said?

Ellen White describes those who don't celebrate Christmas as being "Narrow minded".

I do seem to sense a number  of narrow minded people here.

You know how she said to celebrate it, too, I would guess. It is not how it is celebrated today. She wasnt in agreement with the over the top way Christmas is usually done. Did not support going into debt for it, and in fact was very supportive of frugality.

Your acting like she was all for the way its commonly done by the world.She WAS straight forward and clear. Unlike yourself.

And the lady asking you about it didnt deserve to be chastised like a child, either. If you dont wanna post it, dont, but dont be condescending about it.

I know we disagree, but I wasnt calling you stupid or crazy, just that its a stupid and crazy way to view her writings. Making them fit your own personal desire to join the world and celebrate it.

At no time have I stated we should celebrate it as the world celebrates it.

But we should not ignore it either. Either extreme is wrong as our prophet expresses.

Consistently in our prophet's writings - she cautions us to not go to either extremes. This is just another example.

I would hope that those who are promoting the extreme of ignoring Christmas because for some reason they feel it is "pagan" or that it is not the "actual birth" date of Jesus - that they please review what Mrs. White had  to say about the issue.

And I would hope that those on the extreme of making Christmas to be about materialism instead of Jesus - that they also read what Ellen White has to say about extremism of this holiday.

Please don't misrepresent what I have stated. For no where would I promote either extreme. I would hope that you express your distain for those who would promote the extreme of neglecting the holiday entirely - as this is what Ellen White was warning against.

So the answer to the OP question of Should we celebrate Christmas? Absolutely YES. That was the message that Ellen White was trying hard to promote also.

By making Christ the ACTUAL center of it. So its a lot bigger answer than just yes or no. Yes, but not how everyone else does. Most people only pay lip service to Him at this juncture of history. So, yes, with a bit of a course on HOW. IF you want to do as the Holy Spirit said we should. We're never to leave our post as servant to revel in the worldly spirit of Christmas.

We can't really begin to discuss how to celebrate Christmas when the people are still hung up on IF we should celebrate. So, I do hope we can move forward on that issue. But I sincerely doubt it from what I am reading in this thread.

Now, now

No name calling, Mind Bender! We just want to know where you stand; like on the movie issue.

By the way, one of my favourite movies, back in the day, was Superman. I always found it fun to watch how Lois Lane started to figure out that whenever Superman was on the scene, Clarke was nowhere to be found.

Oh no. I apologize. It was not me that was calling people narrow minded. IT was Ellen White. I was simply pointing out that she called those who were opposed to Christmas as being "narrow minded". I would never do that myself when our prophet has already done it.

Can we see the quote please? - I know you don't like to spoon-feed us or go over your research notes, but please could you do it on this occasion?

Well Eddie-Lee. Just because you are a dear  friend and I am concerned for your soul - I will break my own rules and hand feed you just this once :

"Although we do not know the exact day of Christ’s birth, we would honor the sacred event. May the Lord forbid that any one should be so narrow minded as to overlook the event because there is an uncertainty in regard to the exact time.” —Ellen White in  The Review and Herald, December 17, 1889.

Thanks Mind Bender... =)

No problem. Just don't let it happen again.

lol   lol

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2022   Created by Clark P.   Powered by