Adventist Online

Why dont Adventists celebrate/take part in: Christmas, Carnival, Easter etc ?

Why dont Adventists celebrate/take part in: Christmas, Carnival, Easter etc ? any ideas?

Views: 2335

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Historically, my country has catholic regions right next to protestant ones. Churches on the border of these regions that consist of converted Adventists from both surrounding religions regularly tend to call each other names like "pagan" and "hung-up" once a year. Why? Because for one group Christmas is a happy time of family reunion and a time to remember God sending his Son to us for our salvation. They will teach their children the concept of thankful giving by making donations for the needy on Christmas. The other group has the catholic Christmas in mind, to them the holiday and the tree imparts nothing but a magical and spiritistic religion so they cannot be around it.

There are churches in my country that have broken up over this - and listening to the tone of words in this forum it is no wonder. By the love of God, other churches have found a way to deal with each other - even if they cannot agree on the other group's practice. One church puts up a tree but no decoration on it and only donation gifts under the tree. Another church puts up a decorated tree every other year.

Don't stumble over this in your walk, not for Christmas, not for Easter nor any other holiday.

Romans 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
You all have good reasons to celebrate or not to celebrate. Don't judge each other. And be especially careful to say something must or must never be done. Find ways to live and believe together and pray that your family, your church, our church will never be hurt by issues like this. All you are doing - the celebrators and the not-celebrators alike - is taking a lot of energy away from our main goal which is to "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you." (Mat. 28:19+20).
In yahweh's instruction to us we read:
You shall not have an observer of times among you.

In Galatians we read what Paul had to say about observing the times of other gods:
I fear for you lest my labour was in vain.

I cannot get past the fact that Paul was suggesting that observing these times was a strong indication that these people may be lost.

Shalom

If in your former life you have been enslaved by the observance of any law or holiday to achieve salvation - you need to stay clear of regressing to that behavior, that is what Paul states.

Also, are you aware that by the other times he mentions, Paul is referring to the Jewish festivities? He's not talking about heathen festivals here, nor is he talking about other gods.

It is ridiculous to assume he was talking about "Jewish" festivals given the context. Even the venerable Ron duPreez who fights against observance of these festivals concedes that this is in fact referring to pagan holidays. He even points out that the words Paul used are not the usual words associated with those festivals.

BTW. Keeping the Shabbot for the purpose of achieving salvation is useless as well. You would have to keep the whole law perfectly for your whole life. Sorry. You already have failed. Good thing gods grace abounds. Should we go on sinning? Of course not!

Shalom,
Will
I fully appreciate Jesus' death for me every day of the year. I also don't judge anyone over it.
Teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.

If I am not mistaken it was our saviour who commanded us not to observe the times of these no-gods.

His instruction should never be set aside!

To the instruction and to the testimony. If they speak not according to these it is because there is no light in them.

On another note we had dinner at my inlaws yesterday. Poppa wanted to have an Easter egg hunt for my youngsters. We allowed it but asked that it be called a treasure hunt. Later we explained our objections. He is not a professed Christian. We hope and pray our example will be a light to others while still training our kids up according to the instruction given us in scriptures.
I suggest searching the scriptures to see if any amount of time or good intentions can change an abomination to god into something acceptable to him. Much less pleasing to Him. I am eternally greatful that He winked at my previous ignorance in this issue. Now that I know I have repented and turned from my sinful observance of these times.

That's beautiful! Paul fully encourages your practice and your beliefs as long as you do not judge others who in their walk with God are at another place. And Ellen White just might be one of them.

Romans 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant?

Also, Will, would you be so kind to give the source of your bible quotations? It is helpful when reading your posts.

In discussing Galatians I have been referring to chapter four.

God winks at our ignorance is from acts.

If you would like specific references besides these let me know.

I quote mostly from memory like Peter and Paul did. They never provided chapter and verse because there was no such divisions at that time.

I don't know when Jesus was born.  No one really does.  It is doubtful that it was December 25.  But, I think Jesus' birth should be a cause for celebration.  I don't even like the term Easter as it directly derived from the goddess Ishtar who supposedly fell from heaven in a egg.  That is where that tradition comes from.  Neither am I happy with the Roman pagan fertility symbol of the Rabbit.  Neither of which has the faintest relationship to Jesus whatsoever.  I am, however, pleased that our Saviour, Jesus Christ, is risen from the dead and draws all men to Himself.

It is easy to show that messiah was crucified at nine am on Passover and died at three pm. Why don't we celebrate at the time it actually happened and on a day ordained by god? Well in Daniel chapter seven, I think, it tells us that the festival seasons and laws would be changed. And in revelation we are told that ALL the world would follow after the beast.

Remember how detestable asherah was to god? Well Easter is just as detestable.

Lets return to the old paths. Lets celebrate Passover this year. April twenty-six. I

Some think they have a handle on certain observances while they reject the prophet of the Lord. They think they are saved by using certain name pronunciations. Those that say they accept the prophetic gift of EGW make her work of none effect by claiming it is grossly corrupted by the church. The same God that kept the Bible alive has keep alive the work of EGW.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2022   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service