Adventist Online

I see so many people that become very hard to live with when they start reading Ellen White's writings. Some become horrible to live around and seem to lose any joy they previously had. They actually become miserable. One who helped lead me to Christ actually came to the point where he said he could no longer even talk to me because I was unclean. It seems like something clicks in their heads and they no longer know how to enjoy fellowship. The last thing he ever said to me was...  If you are going to be one of God's chosen, you have to be perfect... 

Anyways, God is good... 

Views: 1407

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello David

First a prophet would be relevant for her day and our day, God's word is eternal. And if she was a prophet how do you account for predictions that did not come true and significant misterpretations of the Bible.  Remember, God does not instruct prophets incorrectly and he does not provide them with insights that to not come to be. I would also question why a prophet like Ellen White would be necessary after the gift of the Holy Spirit was poured out on all Christians.   In my Experience as an lifetime SDA, Ellen White has been promoted as an infallible voice that cannot be challenged. There is no record of her life a struggling sinner. Instead she is presented a sinless prophet who spoke on behalf of God.  This has been a serious stumbling stone for many Adventist Christians.

You have a very good point in your first sentence; however while God's word is eternal, God's word must also be relevant to his prophet so that his prophet can give those messages to the people.  And have you ever done the psychological experiment where you tell a small story to one person in a circle of people and see what the story is when it comes around the circle to you again?  Humans claiming to be infallible are usually not, Ellen White did not claim that.  Even God stays His word.  Also, if the Holy Spirit was poured out on all Christians, why do we continue to have wars, crime, greed, murder, rape, etc.?  Ellen White had her struggles with physical maladies.  And probably a bunch of hard-headed early Adventists too.  I agree that refusal to have an enriched spiritual life, but a clingy, selfish, and bitter one, diminishes one's light and happiness.  

Christ tells us that we are provided with the Holy Spirit which is confirmed by Paul.  The presence of the Holy Spirit does not mean that sin or its effects (disease and war,) Are going to disapear (Christ said we would have wars and rumors of wars up to the end.) What it does mean that we only need one intercessor (Christ,) and we can approach him through the Spirit. Thus, having a prophet such as Ellen White would be unecessary. God does continue to provide prophetic messages to many people. However, looking to one person as the final word on Prophecy, as many Adventist do, is dangerous. As Paul bodly states we must worship God in Spirit.

An interesting take on the Holy Spirit, especially for Christians.  And I, for one, do not look toward Mrs. White as the final word on Prophecy.  After all, she has gone to her rest.  I look toward her writings for direction and guidance, with prayers and my own conscience.

well said

To me it does not matter what title they hang around her neck, be it prophet or whatever.  Well atleast as long as they do not call her ugly things. I also have come across material in her writing which I regard as odd or maybe even wrong. If I focus on those oddities or incorrections I feel that I do miss out on a stack of stuff in her writings that are very beneficial to me. I think that the bulk of what she writes does inspire and give hope. Unfortunately people take a very literal line and want to apply every dot and tittle to everyone and that is where things fall apart. For me even when reading applying the Bible I do not always take a very literal interpretation. 

Maybe it strengthens the argument that E.G. White was a freemason.

Well even the Freemasons say she was inspired..
so i dont know where you get this argument , She is a prophet quit your criticizing and then work upon your eternal destiny cz Messing with God's prophet may get you in trouble 

Hello Miriga

If she is a prophet then how do you account for statements that were inaccurate, and predictions (such as the return of Christ in 1851.)  The EG White estate indicates that these were conditional prophecies. This does not make logical sense. First if Christ came in 1851 you and I would not have existed and would not be afforded salvation. Also she indicates that He didn't come because people were not prepared enough. Yet, after 1851 the Church has grown ten fold.  This is a serious contridiction. God does not provide inaccurate or contraditory messages to his prophets.  You won't get in trouble for questioning Ellen White, you will get in trouble for greving the Holy Spirit which many of her followers do.

Bryan, you are so right.

she never claimed to be a prophet, the church has given her that title.

Really?  Now that's interesting!  I had not heard that Ellen White was a Freemason.  Where did you get that information?

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2021   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service