Adventist Online

I see so many people that become very hard to live with when they start reading Ellen White's writings. Some become horrible to live around and seem to lose any joy they previously had. They actually become miserable. One who helped lead me to Christ actually came to the point where he said he could no longer even talk to me because I was unclean. It seems like something clicks in their heads and they no longer know how to enjoy fellowship. The last thing he ever said to me was...  If you are going to be one of God's chosen, you have to be perfect... 

Anyways, God is good... 

Views: 1409

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Because they take too many of her statements out of context. Even when Mrs. White was alive, she had to deal with these same fanatics who would say "Mrs. White said this" or "Mrs. White said that". If she had trouble with them then, how much more so when she is asleep.

Yes... They just seem to become so self absorbed and behavior focused

True.

Not all people become this way after reading her works but I completely understand what you're saying because I know someone that is like that. When some people read the truth and change their lives whether they read it from E.W. or from the Bible sometimes they forget to be humble and they forget the very reason why they are here which is to win souls for Christ. Sometimes there's nothing you can do for people like that other than pray for them. When someone reaches the "Holier than Though" phase, it is really dangerous because they may even begin to offend people around them and turn them away from Christ. Those are the people that sometimes give Christians a bad name because people associate us as condescending and thinking that we are perfect when in actuality we are nowhere close.

Sometimes I think we should have a policy that new believers have to read the conflict series,  steps to Christ, Christ's object lessons, thoughts from the mount of blessing, and ministry of healing before they are allowed to read the rest of her writings. Also, I know several church members that read her on a daily basis and haven't studied the Bible in some time. 

The first thing one should do is read the bible then they can read Ellen White's writings. Some persons just have an extremist's mentality, that's why you have many of the offshoots. 

Ellen White warned concerning extremism and fanaticism. 

Amen

Right.  Ellen White should not be used to prove a point to baby Christians or to Non-Adventists.  She points us to the Bible.  That is our source of authority.

my son joined an Great Controversy study group in Tenn. several years ago and was convinced to leave Southern College before the year was out because we were in the Latter Rain. He moved to a small farm where E.G. White was practiced to the extreme in order to achieve perfection in time for the coming of the Lord. They spent most of their time their knees praying, reading the GC, or working the garden, and avoiding gluttony. He became intolerant of anything apart from the Spirit of Prophecy and lived to be perfect by works. This went on for some time until he became unable to keep up with the standards, so he turned to drugs. This roller coaster ride went on for several years until he was twenty-eight when he died of a drug overdose.

ps.....I still love the Lord and am active in our local SDA church. It has raised some questions about our use of the spirit of prophecy however.

Well sorry to hear about your son.  We should also remember the countless number of individuals who have been positively affected by her writings. The book was not responsible for your son's demise, but his offshoot group was.  We should stay away from offshoots at all cost. They do and believe whatever their mind tells them.  Their leader is usually controlled by another spirit. 

I agree that the book did not kill my son and do believe that the different off shout groups are workings of the devil. I do have some questions about the book the Great Controversy. I was brought up in Mountain View at the pacific press where it was shown that there are many errors in the book. The 1919 general conference confirmed this fact also. This being said I agree that she has written many outstanding  works and I believe many souls have been brought to the lord as a result of her writings. However, I was brought up in the time when her writings were used over and above the bible. This was not her fault but rather that of the church as a whole. I hope our thinking on this subject is improving. Christ is still our salvation, how great is that?

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2021   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service