Adventist Online

All other 9 commandments are explicitly reemphasised but not the Sabbath Command Why???

Happy Sabbath!!!

Views: 925

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So Real I guess if we accept your reasoning it would imply that the Sabbath was the only commandment they were keeping

The thought occurred to me quite recently that we keep talking about Sabbath as being a law. The Sabbath is not a law, it is a day of the week. If there was no law saying 'keep the Sabbath holy', then the Sabbath would still be holy. The law only reminds or shows what was already established. Cain killed Abel- that was considered murder, even though there was no 'law' saying 'thou shalt not kill'. God sent the flood to destroy mankind, fire to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah before there were any of these written laws; so the principles are not dependent on laws; the laws are based on the principles already existent in God's system.
Furthermore, the Sabbath was instituted BEFORE sin. It was part of a perfect world. It did not need to be 'fulfilled' in Christ, as it was not instituted as a result of sin , as so many laws were.
God says in Isaiah 66 that the Sabbath would continue to be part of the 'new Jerusalem'; Jesus , speaking of the future events which would take place after his Ascension, said 'pray your flight not be on the Sabbath' ;
The original question asked why the commandment is not reemphasised in the 'new Testament'. It is! Jesus explained the deeper meaning behind the commandments, and on several occasions shed a lot of light on the Sabbath - eg picking corn, healing people .
Bear in mind , as my original point says, that Sabbath was a day of the week. The day was not called Saturday. It was naturally the Sabbath.

We tend to emphasise the day and which is the day. The commandment does not begin with the words 'from now on you shall keep the 7th day of the week as a Sabbath, . It says 'remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy'. The commandment was not about informing mankind about a day, it was about keeping the day holy. How can something that was not holy in the first place be 'kept' holy? The word 'remember' also implies the day was already holy. If I say to you 'do you remember my name?' ; you can only remember if you knew it in the first place. 'Remember our meeting next Tuesday' I can only use 'remember' if you were already informed about the meeting next Tuesday. Remember the Sabbath - means it existed in the first place.

In summary, my point is -Sabbath was a holy day from the beginning, before such a thing as a 'commandment' ever existed. It is a day of the week (actually lots of languages including Spanish and Protuguese still call the 7th day Sabado:Sabato, so its sanctity ; its very existence does not depend on law; it's holy time ...,period!!

Brother Ken how goes it welcome to the discussion.  First thing first again bro you explanation is wasted on me as it does not answer or address my question.  You said that Jesus reemphasised the 10 c and you are very right, adultery also includes lusting after a woman or man, murder also includes hating your brother without a cause etc etc.  So Jesus explain and and give deeper meaning to all 10c but let us still consider this The NEW TESTAMENT really came into effect after the death of JESUS.  Jesus came under the law and lived according to the Law moral, ceremonial and civil.  So while it is correct that the Sypnotic gospel reemphasise the validity of the 10cs I am asking the questions why it was not reemphasise after His death the same way the other 9 are.  So I agree that the Sabbath is Holy whether or not we keep it or not but I am not disputing that. 

I was looking for answer such as the Sabbath is reemphasise and here are text that explicitly emphasise it in the same manner as the other 9.........  But so far all i am getting is the fact that the sabbath is the sabbath, and it was never change and its still valid all of which I know, accept and agree.  I just want to know why it's not emphasise in the New T.

Thanks for your response David I appreciate you actually addressing and answering my question.  I hear your reasoning but I still feel that it is asking a lot to think that the only commandmment the early church was keeping was the 4th commandment.  I have heard a similar reason being that atleast among the Jews the Sabbath had become such a part of Judaism the Sabbath and the Jews were almost use interchangeably.  "There go a Jew or there go a Sabbath keeper" because of the lesson learnt from the forefathers (going into slavery for breaking the Sabbath) the Jews then made Sabbath Keeping so serious and to keep it so strictly as to ensure it was safeguarded.  Hence they burdened down the Sabbath so much Jesus had to lighten it up when He arrived on the scene.

It makes sense but surely that would not apply so much to Gentile christians who would have to make real allowances for keeping the Sabbath which would have been a new task for them.  But thanks again for your answer.  Maybe there isn't an answer and our evangelical friends will have to go with reasons and the principles of true commandment keeping 1 for all and all for 1, if you break one you break all etal.  However it would have been so much easier if we had even one command in the same vein of the other nine in order to lay the argument to REST.  No puns inteded

I think its one of those stepping stones or stumbling blocks. He couldnt just be so open about some things. Or it was just a given as He EXPANDED on the others while the Sabbath commandment was already very lengthy and wordy and had covered everything..

The Sabbath Commandment is the only one of the ten (10) that has the word "Remember" meaning, we must not forget to keep it holy! and now I am going to answer the question you asked: ("Why isn't the Sabbath Commandment re-emphasised in the New Testament?")

It was reemphasised Sir Charliebwoyo in the life that Jesus lived, his custom was to go in the Synagogue on the Sabbath day, he taught us how we must keep the Sabbath holy and how our worship should be on the Sabbath day (the coming together of the Saints in the sanctuary in one accord to worship and praise the Creator, for example). Christ is Lord of the Sabbath Charliebwoyo, he was crucified on the preparation day and rested on the Sabbath (in the grave---in death he reminded us of the holiness and reverence of the Sabbath), then he rose the first day of the week to begin his ministry in the Most Holy place (heaven) on our behalf.

Just as Christ said in Matthew 9:15 "And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast."

How then could Jesus the Lord of the Sabbath reemphasised Sabbath keeping in words when he is the WORD!-- the only way Jesus could re-emphasised the Sabbath was to teach us how to do so the right way--- "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy..." means more than just the words stated there, it means the relationship we have with our Creator God, how we reverence, honour and obey him.

John 1:14 "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth."

Blessings!

Hi Marcia again please read my post, I am not asking anyone to prove to me that the Sabbath is the 7th Day Saturday.  I am not asking anyone to tell me who changed the day of worship, I am not asking anyone to tell me if whether or not Jesus kept the Sabbath.  I am asking why it was not reemphasised as the other 9 are. 

Yes it was Jesus custom to go to the sanctuary on Sabbath but it was also Jesus custom to keep the the Jewish feast and Jesus was also circumcised.  So do we keep the Jewish feast of passover, unleaven bread etc.  I am a Sabbath keeper and a stauch defender of the Sabbath.  That question was asked why isn't the Sabbath reemphasised and since AO is and adventist I thought I would throw it out.  So far only two person have attempted to answer the question.  Others saw it as an oportunity to imply I was attacking sabbath keeping or as their duty to inform me that it was change by Rome.  I also went to great lengths to explain that the accounts of Matthew Mark Luke and John while in the New Testament are not really New Testament books.  In the sense that until the resurrection of Jesus we were still under the law ceremonial, civil and and penalty of the moral law.  So in discusions with non Sabbath keepers the fact that Jesus kept the Sabbath in countered with Jesus was a Jew and observe other Jewish customs. 

The fact that Paul custom was to go to the temple on Saturday is countered with Paul became all things to all men so he could win some.  He Paul himslef said to the Jews I became a Jew and he Paul even particpated in Jewish festivals in order to appease them.  So I am not arguing for or against Sabbath keeping just curious as to why it is not reemphasise explicitly as the other 9 commandments. 

Again you are not answering the question just going around it

I hear that Patreece but how do you explain Paul's lack of emphasis when presenting the gospel to gentiles who were not obsessed or overdoing Sabbath keeping?  There is no mention in Paul writing regarding Sabbath keeping as a command to do or not to do in the same manner in which he deals with the other nine.

You are absolutely right Joyce, however the case still remains that the Sabbath will play an essential role in determining who side are we leaning on in the final analysis.  Still the question remains unanswered why no reemphasis? Every other command was giving full treatment dont murder, kill, steal. lie, commit adultery, or worship idols etc but nada regarding the Sabbath.  Not once do you read no idolaters, or thief, or muderers, or pride or Sabbath breakers will inherit the kingdom.  In the numerous list of things that will keep u sout of the kingdom Sabbath breaking is never mentioned.  The closest we get is Rom 1: Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.  It is argued that since the Sabbath is a sign or seal and a sign or a seal is an agreement and an agreement is a covenant then covenant breakers in the text refers to Sabbath breakers.  Which proves the point that its not explicitly but you have to dig deep and wide to establish a command for Sabbath keeping after the death of Jesus.

Hi Charliewoyo,

lol.. You keep asking us to show you where there is reemphasis in the NT of the Holy 7th day Sabbath... I keep asking you questions in regards to Hebrews 4... John B. brought this to your intention first. I'm going to post it for the third time for you.. Thank you for your time Sir..

Charliebwoyo:  "We will have to agree to disagree about the meaning of Hebrews 4"

Why do we have to disagree? I agree with you, Hebrews 4 does have a Spiritual Application...

But are you saying Hebrews 4 doesn't have a literal application?

Can we can agree that it is speaking of the literal 7th Day Sabbath in verse 4?

Hebrews 4: 4 "For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works."

The 7th day mentioned here, is this the literal Sabbath day the Bible is talking about Charliebwoyo?

Bless!!

The premise of your question is wrong.

All 10 Commandments are re-emphasised. The Sabbath Command being specifically mentioned in Heb.4:9 where the word translated "rest" is sabbatismos which means "keeping the Sabbath" and re-emphasises the fact that a "keeping of the Sabbath" remains for God's people.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service