Adventist Online

what was the role of christian females in the bible?

Views: 780

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As well as Pastor and Prophet I think 

Jason you only addressed one of my points and an any case I meant Jesus only chose 12 men as disciples.  Which is an argument that is usually used to argue against women pastors.

If you can be so kind as to address my other points for clarity.  Especially the pastor / priest connection

Pastor and Priest is not the same. The Priest takes offerings from the Congregation before God. While a Pastor is appointed to lead the worship, but is not bringing offering before God as a Priest does.

But I notice many here can not tell the Difference between a Pastor and a Prophet. EG White was a prophet not a pastor.  

@Elijah so if the Priest and the Pastor are not the same or if the pastor is not the new testament version of the priest, then we cant argue that because there were no female priest in the bible there should not be any female pastors. 

Can you name an ordained female elder/Pastor or Apostle in the new testament? 

yes

Ro 16:1 ¶  I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea:

She is mentioned because she is alone...

by Jeff A Benner in Sep 2004,

In English we use masculine (he), feminine (she) and neuter (it). But, in Hebrew all things are either masculine or feminine, there is no neuter. So, we may say "it is a tree" in Hebrew it would be "hu ets" (he is a tree). All things in Hebrew are either masculine or feminine. God is neither male nor female but he is both. This may sound contradictory but the Hebrew mind often seems contradictory from our perspective of western thought.

The Hebrew word for boy is yeled, the Hebrew word for boys is yelediym. The Hebrew word for girl is yal'dah and the Hebrew word for girls is yeledot. But if the group of children is boys and girls you always use the masculine form yelediym. The masculine form always takes over if the group is of both masculine and feminine. Source Link

Very difficult to find evidence in groups...

and in an assembly of males and females, a male should serve...

Shalom

Rob 

Did you mean "yes" Phebe was ordained or "yes" that we do not know. Those who makes a big thing about Phebe being ordained is in a shaky ground because we have no proof that she was ordained at all. 

I do not know what ordained means Elijah...do you have a Hebrew word for this concept ?

The Bible says she was a servant, the same word used to describe Paul, Peter and Apollo. Both OT and NT have a dozen words which mean "ordained" whatever that word means....

Can you help me out...how was Paul, Peter and John ordained ?to be what and by whom? What about the common Levite priest, was he ordained ?

Shalom

Rob I was using the Word Ordained in the Modern sense. 

Paul Peter and John was not ordained as we know it today, although they was picked by Jesus to be apostles. The Bible records no account on any ordaining ceremony for these Apostles.

The word servant in regards to Phebe, Is Diaconos as far as I know the word means servant. We are all servants of the Lord are we not? As we know some are maybe better servants than others. Clearly Paul was pleased with Phebe as a servant as we can see on the text.   

Servant does not imply Elder status.  It sounds more like the gift of hospitality.

Yes Rob I agree with that what ever Gift Phebe had is not made clear but Paul was clearly happy with her. 

Daniel the term Elder status implies to male servants, so why use the term... not sure...

2Jo 1:1 ¶ The elder unto the elect lady and her children,

Is this lady called an elder ?

Stick to Hebrew word, Phebe was a servant as much as Paul Peter and Apollo was....do not take away the Hebrew message in the word...

It's hard enough to discuss men and women in groups, because the women are never mentioned....none of you have acknowledged this....

by Jeff A Benner in Sep 2004,

In English we use masculine (he), feminine (she) and neuter (it). But, in Hebrew all things are either masculine or feminine, there is no neuter. So, we may say "it is a tree" in Hebrew it would be "hu ets" (he is a tree). All things in Hebrew are either masculine or feminine. God is neither male nor female but he is both. This may sound contradictory but the Hebrew mind often seems contradictory from our perspective of western thought.

The Hebrew word for boy is yeled, the Hebrew word for boys is yelediym. The Hebrew word for girl is yal'dah and the Hebrew word for girls is yeledot. But if the group of children is boys and girls you always use the masculine form yelediym. The masculine form always takes over if the group is of both masculine and feminine. Source Link

So your not going to find evidence....let's stop being male biased, and started reading Scripture from a Hebrew point of view...

SHalom

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by