Adventist Online

what does deu 14:26 realy mean to say?

Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice.

Views: 1487

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What if they don't need to?  What if that's a good place for them to witness.  The Apostles witnessed to those who had no qualms with the occasional drink.

Acts  2:13    Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.  
2:14    But Peter ... said ...

2:15    For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is [but] the third hour of the day.

True, beving vexed or emphatic in scipture, has often been given that designation.

For instance Hannah:

1 Samuel 1:9-16, "Once when they had finished eating and drinking in Shiloh, Hannah stood up. Now Eli the priest was sitting on his chair by the doorpost of the Lord’s house. 10 In her deep anguish Hannah prayed to the Lord, weeping bitterly. 11 And she made a vow, saying, “Lord Almighty, if you will only look on your servant’s misery and remember me, and not forget your servant but give her a son, then I will give him to the Lord for all the days of his life, and no razor will ever be used on his head.”

12 As she kept on praying to the Lord, Eli observed her mouth. 13 Hannah was praying in her heart, and her lips were moving but her voice was not heard. Eli thought she was drunk 14 and said to her, “How long are you going to stay drunk? Put away your wine.”

15 “Not so, my lord,” Hannah replied, “I am a woman who is deeply troubled. I have not been drinking wine or beer; I was pouring out my soul to the Lord. 16 Do not take your servant for a wicked woman; I have been praying here out of my great anguish and grief.”

Trust God !   He has shown us that He is well able to give us ministry and occupation without us profiting off of that which is clearly harmful to others.

Most of what's served is food.  And it's really not clear, because many doctors say a little wine is good for you.

1 Tim.  5:23    Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

But, you'll refuse those baptism, as well, won't you?

Acts  8:36  .... See, [here is] water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?

You never would have baptized that eunuch, for all your new tests of fellowship.  Good thing such responsibility is not laid on your shoulders.

And you would baptize someone who just walked in off the street wouldn't you. They baptize today like loading shoot with cattle and the people go right out the back of the church to the world.

You are not even sure about alcohol because of what many doctors say. Many doctors say many things. 

Where does Mrs. White say a little alcoholic wine is good for you. You see rush this is the problem. you are taking the word from  many doctors while doubting the Testimony of Jesus given for the last days.

We can debate whether I Timothy 5:23 is talking about grape juice or alcohol but we cannot argue over the counsel from Jesus through EGW unless you simply refuse to accept it.

You are correct. If people wish to continue to drink booze I would not baptize them. If booze is  more important to them than God then they are not converted and a church full of unconverted people is all too common already. They simply warm pews and proliferate low worldly standards in the church.

"Good for you", is a relative term.  They say shrimp is good for you, because of some nutrients in them.  What I'm saying is, we can't hold it against people for following such counsel, as if they should know better.

I'm in the practice of seeing things from other perspectives, rather than just my own.  You may not understand me for this.

Kevin:

"And you would baptize someone who just walked in off the street wouldn't you."

If they followed the criteria of the Bible.  If they are searching, and receive the Gospel, and their profession is sincere.  The Holy Spirit is always there to give discernment in these matters.

But, the eunuch wasn't interrogated, to see if his job ever involved ordering things for parties, or serving drinks.  In fact, no one was.  Does that mean they baptized people like cattle?  They added 3000 in one day, (Acts 2:41).

SO TRUE.  THE JEWS OF OLD, LOVED THE SABBATH MORE THAN EACH OTHER.

No, those folks don't deserve new problems.  Soldiers and Law Enforcement tend to "self-medicate" with alcohol, because of the crap they have to see and experience.

The problem is you don't realize there is a problem until you are too deep in the weeds already.

Aquila:

"Arguing that the apostles couldn't possibly be drunk, because it is only 9:00 a.m., doesn't mean the apostles themselves would even think of doing any drinking."

Ok.  I said:

"What if that's a good place for them to witness.  The Apostles witnessed to those who had no qualms with the occasional drink."

My argument was that the Apostles witnessed to those who where not sworn to abstinence from alcohol.  I never said the Apostles where drinkers.

I think we spend too much time sorting out these misunderstandings.  Carefully read the text, and don't get excited.

rush we can see something from another perspective and we must if we are going to understand them. However, we cross over when we adopt their perspective in spite of clear counsel.

I don't think we need to interrogate people to study with them and to know them. It is the responsible thing to do. do you think the story of the Eunuch is a precedence for us where we have time and ability to just give a study and baptize people?

It sounds like you are saying we should just baptize people with a single study. If we continue to share the truths we know how many do you think will stay ? So what is the purpose  and the hurry to baptize them as though they will get away if we do not do so. If they are going to get way because  do not baptize them quickly then they will get away anyway. People do not leave the Lord because they needed to wait a bit or give up some things and make some changes fist. If the heart is truly given to God these things will be let go of. I grew up watching any kind of TV, drinking, drugs/tobacco if so desired, movies and  almost anything else you want to add to the list. However, when the Lord reached my heart it all left, even all  the hunting and fishing gear, even the sports and racing. A converted hearty will give up anything and everything to be healthier and to serve God. Baptism is not magical however conversion is pretty close to that. It is supernatural and it is wonderful, most wonderful ! It gives drive, meaning , and purpose to life. This message we are in is all together fantastic because it draws us close to God and makes us effect workers in his hands.

rush;

I do not think I misunderstand you on this subject. You are saying  " Most of what's served is food.  And it's really not clear, because many doctors say a little wine is good for you."

It is clear from the Bible and from then SOP. There are 767 hits in the SOP on alcohol and every one is of a negative nature. Nothing good and nothing unclear. Then add all the hits from wine and liquor and there are over 1000 statements, You are taking the perspective of "some doctors" over the Testimony of Jesus Christ for the last days.

Press home the temperance question with all the force of the Holy Spirit's unction. Show the need of total abstinence from all intoxicating liquor. Show the terrible harm that is wrought in the human system by the use of tobacco and alcohol. Explain your methods of giving treatment. Let the talks given be such as will enlighten your hearers. God has mercy on the unrighteous. This service will be an opportunity to tell what health reform really is.--Letter 343, 1904.  {Ev 534.3}

Tea, coffee, tobacco, and alcohol we must present as sinful indulgences. We cannot place on the same ground, meat, eggs, butter, cheese, and such articles placed upon the table. These are not to be borne in front, as the burden of our work. The former--tea, coffee, tobacco, beer, wine, and all spirituous liquors--are not to be taken moderately, but discarded.--3SM 287 (1881).  {LDE 81.1} 

True temperance teaches us to dispense entirely with everything hurtful and to use judiciously that which is healthful.--PP 562 (1890).  {LDE 81.2} 

Pure air, sunlight, abstemiousness, rest, exercise, proper diet, the use of water, trust in divine power--these are the true remedies.--MH 127 (1905).  {LDE 81.3} 

Whatever injures the health not only lessens physical vigor but tends to weaken the mental and moral powers. Indulgence in any unhealthful practice makes it more difficult for one to discriminate between right and wrong and hence more difficult to resist evil.--MH 128 (1905).  {LDE 81.4}

Return to the Original Diet

God is trying to lead us back, step by step, to His original design--that man should subsist upon the natural products of the earth. Among those who are waiting for the coming of the Lord meat eating will eventually be done away; flesh will cease to form a part of their diet. We should ever keep this end in view and endeavor to work steadily toward it.--CH 450 (1890).  {LDE 81.5}

In order to reach the root of intemperance we must go deeper than the use of alcohol or tobacco. Idleness, lack of aim, or evil associations may be the predisposing cause. Often it is found at the home table, in families that account themselves strictly temperate. Anything that disorders digestion, that creates undue mental excitement or in any way enfeebles the system, disturbing the balance of the mental and the physical powers, weakens the control of the mind over the body, and thus tends toward intemperance. The downfall of many a promising youth might be traced to unnatural appetites created by an unwholesome diet.  {CG 402.3} 

All these nerve irritants are wearing away the life-forces, and the restlessness caused by shattered nerves, the impatience, the mental feebleness, become a warring element, antagonizing to spiritual progress. Then should not those who advocate temperance and reform be awake to counteract the evils of these injurious drinks? In some cases it is as difficult to break up the tea-and-coffee habit as it is for the inebriate to discontinue the use of liquor. The money expended for tea and coffee is worse than wasted. They do the user only harm, and that continually. Those who use tea, coffee, opium, and alcohol, may sometimes live to old age, but this fact is no argument in favor of the use of these stimulants. What these persons might have accomplished, but failed to do because of their intemperate habits, the great day of God alone will reveal.  {CTBH 34.5}

Often intemperance begins in the home. By the use of rich, unhealthful food the digestive organs are weakened and a desire is created for food that is still more stimulating. Thus the appetite is educated to crave continually something stronger. The demand for stimulants becomes more frequent and more difficult to resist. The system becomes more or less filled with poison, and the more debilitated it becomes, the greater is the desire for these things. One step in the wrong direction prepares the way for another. Many who would not be guilty of placing on their table wine or liquor of any kind will load their table with food which creates such a thirst for strong drink that to resist the temptation is almost impossible. Wrong habits of eating and drinking destroy the health and prepare the way for drunkenness.  {CD 123.3}

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2022   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service