Adventist Online

our Church is devided on Electing a member to chuch position, this member is a manager at a big institution that manufactures alcoholic beverages, soft drinks, necter juices, 100% fruit juices and traditional non alcoholic beverages

whats the church position over such issues

Views: 194

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If his church is receiving his tithe that is not the bottom line. 

I remember a family that were not yet SDA and green as grass. They were paying tithe to our church (not mine locally) on their sale from pot. I don't know what come of the situation but I hope that this was corrected before they joined the church, if indeed they joined the church.

I am subject to correction here, but the command in Malachi regarding tithes and offerings in my mind was for christians as well as non-christians.  When I became a SDA christian years ago, it was a NO NO for SDAs to seek employment with companies that manufacture alcholic beverages but I have seen in my country where pastors wives are working in questionable places. for eg one wife is the manager at a fast food outlet and you should hear her advertisising pork products.  I think it is totally wrong.  But as they regularly say here, it's a matter of choice.

Do you know where all your 401k is invested?  Perhaps you should look into that?

Some of us do not have one. Our retirement is out of this world.

The point remains.  Just as Christ wrote in the sand, those picking up the rocks need to examine their own house.

My point is working for a corporation that manufactures various things, some of which is objectionable, is in no wise any different that benefiting by having your 401k invested in similar or worse ventures.  Then deciding you are innocent and he is guilty.

It's strange that we question the manager of a beverage company that manufactures alcohol and we question whether or not 

he/she is living right.  However we do not question the manager of the supermarket who sells the same alcoholic beverages, cigarette, pork and lotto cards.  Again people I call for us to be consistent in our admonitions of others, if it is good for the goose it is also good for the gander.  Let us CALL OUT ALL THOSE WHO ARE IN SUSPECT OCCUPATION AND NOT JUST THE MANAGER OF A COMPANY THAT MANUFACTURES ALCOHOL.

One of my good friends at church was that manager.  When he found the Lord he chose to leave that job.

The question is, what does the Bible say about this?

Acts  15:19    Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:  
 15:20    But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and [from] fornication, and [from] things strangled, and [from] blood.

I don't believe the Bible supports making such things a test of fellowship.  Leave it in the Lord's hands and don't make a fuss over it.  Our reputation for following the Bible is more important than anything else.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service