Adventist Online

Let's start with #2, "The Trinity"

"Christ is one with the father, but Christ and God are two distinct personages” (RH June 1, 1905)

“The Scriptures clearly indicate the relation between God and Christ, and they bring to view as clearly the personality and individuality of eachellen white pillars[Hebrews 1:1-5 quoted.] God is the Father of Christ; Christ is the Son of God. To Christ has been given an exalted position. He has been made equal with the Father. All the counsels of God are opened to His Son.” (Ellen White, Testimonies for the Church, vol. 8, page 268)

“The man Christ Jesus was not the Lord God Almighty, yet Christ and the Father are one.” (Ellen White SDA Bible Commentary, vol.5 p.1129)

“Here we might mention the Trinity, which does away the personality of God, and of his Son Jesus Christ”(James White, December 11, 1855, james white pillarsReview & Herald, vol. 7, no. 11, page 85, par. 16)

“The doctrine of the Trinity which was established in the church by the council of Nice, A. D. 325. This doctrine JN Andrews pillarsdestroys the personality of God, and his Son Jesus Christ our Lord. The infamous, measures by which it was forced upon the church which appear upon the pages of ecclesiastical history might well cause every believer in that doctrine to blush.” (J. N. Andrews, March 6, 1855, Review & Herald, vol. 6, no. 24, page 185)

1 Corinthians 8:6  But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

"Most of the founders of Seventh-day Adventism would not be able to join the church today if they had to subscribe to the denomination's Fundamental Beliefs. More specifically, most would not be able to agree to belief number 2, which deals with the doctrine of the Trinity." George Knight, Ministry, October 1993, p. 10.

"Adventist beliefs have changed over the years under the impact of 'present truth'. Most startling is the teaching regarding Jesus Christ, our Saviour and Lord…the Trinitarian understanding of God, now part of our fundamental beliefs, was not generally held by the early Adventsists." William G. Johnsson, Adventist Review, Jan 6, 1994, p. 10.

The 1874 statements, by Uriah Smith, published in the June 4 Signs of the Times:

1. That there is one God, a personal, spiritual Being, the Creator of all things, omnipotent, omniscient, and eternal; infinite in wisdom, holiness, justice, goodness, truth and mercy; unchangeable, and everywhere present by His representative, the Holy Spirit. Psalm 139:7. [Where can I go from Thy spirit? or where can I flee from Thy presence?]

2. That there is one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Eternal Father, the One by whom God created all things, and by whom they do consist…"

But, the 28 fundamentals say:

2. The Trinity
There is one God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, a unity of three coeternal
PersonsGod is immortal, all-powerful, all-knowing, above all, and ever
present. He is infinite and beyond human comprehension, yet known
through His self-revelation. He is forever worthy of worship, adoration, and
service by the whole creation. (Deut. 6:4; Matt. 28:19; 2 Cor. 13:14;
Eph. 4:4-6; 1 Peter 1:2; 1 Tim. 1:17; Rev. 14:7.)

"He", as in the unity of all 3." Weird.  I don't want to agree with that.  They will deny you membership if you don't?  I'd like to see them try and take my membership again.  I believe God will not let them enforce this baleful church legislation.

"The revelation of Himself that God has given in His Word is for our study. This we may seek to understand. But beyond this we are not to penetrate. . . . None are to indulge in speculation regarding His nature. Here silence is eloquence. The Omniscient One is above discussion." The Faith I Live By p. 40.

Views: 1827

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice Rush, it hard to fathom trinity, most have not defined the term, so I avoid it

The Hebrew word for God is actually strong authority.

And Elohim is heavenly power flows.

It is best to see the heavenly as a Family of strong authorities.

Shalom

A note on the "oneness" of God.

In my view, the "oneness" of God is explained by Jesus when He says that they (His people) "may be one, even as We are one".  (Jn 17:22) All of us can be "one" in the same sense/way that Jesus and the Father are "one". This aspect, I think, is made quite clear. The oneness of God certainly does not refer to a numerical singularity -- Jesus' teaching shows that God is "one" just as we (multiple, distinct personages) may be "one".

It is true that the word Trinity (Latin "Trinitas") was first used in about AD200 by Tertullian. It is true too, that the ancient Egyptians, etc. used the idea of a divine Trinity, but many pagan cultures also have a flood story. So who adopted whose concepts?

Stewart:

"If Trinitarians were teaching that "the Father and Son are one person", then I'm sure we would both be Anti-Trinitarian too."

This is what it says:

2. The Trinity
There is one God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, a unity of three co-eternal Persons. God is immortal,
all-powerful, all-knowing, above all, and ever present. He is infinite and beyond human
comprehension, yet known through His self-revelation. He is forever worthy of worship, adoration, and
service by the whole creation. (Deut. 6:4; Matt. 28:19; 2 Cor. 13:14; Eph. 4:4-6; 1 Peter 1:2; 1 Tim.
1:17; Rev. 14:7.)

The term "one God" is one person.  Terms like "He", and "His", refers to one person.

Oh wow, I see your point !

If you see the Strong Authority as a Family, there is one Family, and one source of family love.

This is the model Elohim made for humans on earth as a image of Elohim on earth....

The members inside the family are not detailed as separate entities as far as a family is concerned, they are truly one in every sense off the word, except personality....

Le 18:8 The nakedness of thy father's wife shalt thou not uncover: it is thy father's nakedness.

Verses like tell me a family does not consist of separate entities, even though they do technically exist, the family love is singularity in its oneness.

Hope this helps

Shalom

And Jesus said "..he that hath seen me hath seen the Father..", (John 14:9).

But:

John 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared [him].

So, no one has actually seen the Father, but Jesus is saying that if you have seen Him, you may as well have seen the Father.  That's as close as it gets.  If God, Himself, could be with us, it wouldn't be any different than what we see in Jesus, which is why Jesus is called "God with us".

Job 11: 7 says,

"Canst thou by searching find out God? canst thou find out the Almighty unto perfection?"

I don't think that we can ever know God completely with our carnally polluted minds, but that shouldn't stop us trying to get to know Him better through His Word.

At first, when someone very kindly opened my eyes to the trinity error, I stupidly thought that it wasn't that important, but then when I really thought about it, it is as important as the Sabbath commandment.  

Adventists are very good at bleating on about the importance of the fourth commandment, but what about the first?  

"I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

If we are mistaken about who God is, then how can we be worshipping Him and only Him?  This is immensely important.

The trinity doctrine teaches us that there are three gods in one.  People are even being encouraged to pray to Jesus and the Holy Spirit, but Jesus Himself told us to pray to His (and our) Father.  Jesus knew that His Father was greater than Himself - “Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.”       (John 14:28)

The Jews have never believed in this mythical three-in-one god and yet we never hear of Jesus correcting them.

Learning this truth (or actually unlearning the error) has made everything in the Bible much clearer to me.  God is not the author of confusion and the trinity doctrine is pure confusion.

Laura said: " The trinity doctrine teaches us that there are three gods in one."

Laura where did you read such or who told you this? why so gullible? Please read for yourself what the Trinity teaches 

Laura, dont answer those who name call. It is clear that there is one God the Father and not 3 who are each God but not each God 3 in 1 and 1 in 3 lie.

I did not see anyone calling the sister names, was this name calling from a previous thread?  

You did call me gullible.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by