Adventist Online

Let's start with #2, "The Trinity"

"Christ is one with the father, but Christ and God are two distinct personages” (RH June 1, 1905)

“The Scriptures clearly indicate the relation between God and Christ, and they bring to view as clearly the personality and individuality of eachellen white pillars[Hebrews 1:1-5 quoted.] God is the Father of Christ; Christ is the Son of God. To Christ has been given an exalted position. He has been made equal with the Father. All the counsels of God are opened to His Son.” (Ellen White, Testimonies for the Church, vol. 8, page 268)

“The man Christ Jesus was not the Lord God Almighty, yet Christ and the Father are one.” (Ellen White SDA Bible Commentary, vol.5 p.1129)

“Here we might mention the Trinity, which does away the personality of God, and of his Son Jesus Christ”(James White, December 11, 1855, james white pillarsReview & Herald, vol. 7, no. 11, page 85, par. 16)

“The doctrine of the Trinity which was established in the church by the council of Nice, A. D. 325. This doctrine JN Andrews pillarsdestroys the personality of God, and his Son Jesus Christ our Lord. The infamous, measures by which it was forced upon the church which appear upon the pages of ecclesiastical history might well cause every believer in that doctrine to blush.” (J. N. Andrews, March 6, 1855, Review & Herald, vol. 6, no. 24, page 185)

1 Corinthians 8:6  But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

"Most of the founders of Seventh-day Adventism would not be able to join the church today if they had to subscribe to the denomination's Fundamental Beliefs. More specifically, most would not be able to agree to belief number 2, which deals with the doctrine of the Trinity." George Knight, Ministry, October 1993, p. 10.

"Adventist beliefs have changed over the years under the impact of 'present truth'. Most startling is the teaching regarding Jesus Christ, our Saviour and Lord…the Trinitarian understanding of God, now part of our fundamental beliefs, was not generally held by the early Adventsists." William G. Johnsson, Adventist Review, Jan 6, 1994, p. 10.

The 1874 statements, by Uriah Smith, published in the June 4 Signs of the Times:

1. That there is one God, a personal, spiritual Being, the Creator of all things, omnipotent, omniscient, and eternal; infinite in wisdom, holiness, justice, goodness, truth and mercy; unchangeable, and everywhere present by His representative, the Holy Spirit. Psalm 139:7. [Where can I go from Thy spirit? or where can I flee from Thy presence?]

2. That there is one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Eternal Father, the One by whom God created all things, and by whom they do consist…"

But, the 28 fundamentals say:

2. The Trinity
There is one God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, a unity of three coeternal
PersonsGod is immortal, all-powerful, all-knowing, above all, and ever
present. He is infinite and beyond human comprehension, yet known
through His self-revelation. He is forever worthy of worship, adoration, and
service by the whole creation. (Deut. 6:4; Matt. 28:19; 2 Cor. 13:14;
Eph. 4:4-6; 1 Peter 1:2; 1 Tim. 1:17; Rev. 14:7.)

"He", as in the unity of all 3." Weird.  I don't want to agree with that.  They will deny you membership if you don't?  I'd like to see them try and take my membership again.  I believe God will not let them enforce this baleful church legislation.

"The revelation of Himself that God has given in His Word is for our study. This we may seek to understand. But beyond this we are not to penetrate. . . . None are to indulge in speculation regarding His nature. Here silence is eloquence. The Omniscient One is above discussion." The Faith I Live By p. 40.

Views: 1826

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jason,

You’re correct, we don’t see such a phrase in the bible because it’s not; just as we don’t see any scriptural teaching referring to the Holy Spirit as the third person of the Godhead, because it’s not.  The Holy Spirit is not a person or a third God being, it is exactly what the name implies; the Spirt of God.

1 Corinthians 2:10

10But God has revealed it to us by the Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. 11For who among men knows the thoughts of man except his own spirit within him? So too, no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.…

Some translations such as the Young's Literal Translation says through the Spirit.

but to us did God reveal them through His Spirit, for the Spirit all things doth search, even the depths of God,

The Spirit is the Godhead projected thoughts acted upon. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God.

The apostle uses an example in verse 11 to illustrate this.

11For who among men knows the thoughts of man except his own spirit within him?

So too, no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.…

Everything is spirit

And when the will of GOD is projected into our minds to empower us to do his will it is through the spirit.

God doesn’t come down in form, it’s not through another God person, but  through the God  spirit; God thoughts and God will interacts with the human spirit igniting power in us to act upon God very thoughts and purpose.  

The apostle Paul admonished Timothy,

Therefore I admonish thee that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands.

Do not neglect the gift that is in you, which was given you through the prophecy spoken over you at the laying on of the hands of the elders. 1 Timothy 4:14

That gift interacts with us through the spirit in us.

Job 32:8 But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.

"Gene I don't see the phrase 'stop in the name of the Law' in the Bible. You are comparing apples and oranges."

Gene's not comparing apples and oranges.  He's trying to explain a grammatical principle.  The Bible is a body of writing and all writings contain grammatical principles. He's actually using a metaphor to explain a principle, which is exactly the same method that Christ used when he gave parables.

if you are unable to understand this basic premise, I wonder how you ever manage to make sense of the Bible.

Laura here is what Gene said: " You used Matthew 28 to suggest that it is a third person.
Matthew 28:19 : Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
"In the name of" doesn’t imply that the Holy Spirit is a God being and we are never told this nowhere in the scriptures. But it does imply that there is authority and power in its name.
"Stop in the name of the law” is an example. Is the law a person? No but the law has authority and power in its name."

So Matthew 28:19 is a metaphor or is the part about the Holy Spirit the metaphor while the first part about The Father and Jesus being not metaphorical?

I would refer to the most latest writings of EGW to clarify this matter.

Brothers if the Holy Spirit was not involve you would not know about the Bible. If the Holy Spirit is mon existent in your life, that is with you, then go on living as you want. If the Holy Spirit was not with Jesus we were in trohble. So sèe to have a relationship  with Them.

According to Colossians 1:27 the mystery is also made known unto the Gentiles, which is Christ lives in you.  The book of Philippians says,

For God is the One working in you both to will and to work according to His good pleasure. (Philippians 2:13)

This mystery or secret was never known before, the world prior to this revelation never conceived such an idea.

How then does Christ live in you, and how is God working in you?

In John 17:3 as Jesus prayed for his disciples, he said

Now this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom You have sent.

The only true God, and Jesus Christ is in us through the power and presences of the spirit of God; God and the Word God.

John 14:20 In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you…24 Jesus answered and said to him, "If anyone loves me, he will keep my word; and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our dwelling place with him.

The Holy Spirit is truly God; the Father and the Son, it is their indwelling presence and power on those an in those who believe.

John 14:10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me? The words I say to you, I do not speak on My own. Instead, it is the Father dwelling in Me, carrying out His work.

The Father was present in Christ by His invisible power, the Spirit, and in John 10:30 Jesus says,

…I and the Father are one.

There is no other God being, if there was Jesus would have me that know.  There is one God according to the bible which is the only true God, and Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit is another form of God and is verily God; God and the Word God, it is the formless presence and power acting upon the will of the Godhead.  Everything  else is just mythology.

Gene said: " For God is the One working in you both to will and to work according to His good pleasure. (Philippians 2:13)
This mystery or secret was never known before, the world prior to this revelation never conceived such an idea."

Haggai 2:4-5: Yet now be strong, O Zerubbabel, saith the Lord; and be strong, O Joshua, son of Josedech, the high priest; and be strong, all ye people of the land, saith the Lord, and work: for I am with you, saith the Lord of hosts:

5 According to the word that I covenanted with you when ye came out of Egypt, so my spirit remaineth among you: fear ye not.

Now the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD terrorized him. 1 Samuel 16:14

Do not cast me away from Your presence And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me Psalms 51:11

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service