Adventist Online

Let's start with #2, "The Trinity"

"Christ is one with the father, but Christ and God are two distinct personages” (RH June 1, 1905)

“The Scriptures clearly indicate the relation between God and Christ, and they bring to view as clearly the personality and individuality of eachellen white pillars[Hebrews 1:1-5 quoted.] God is the Father of Christ; Christ is the Son of God. To Christ has been given an exalted position. He has been made equal with the Father. All the counsels of God are opened to His Son.” (Ellen White, Testimonies for the Church, vol. 8, page 268)

“The man Christ Jesus was not the Lord God Almighty, yet Christ and the Father are one.” (Ellen White SDA Bible Commentary, vol.5 p.1129)

“Here we might mention the Trinity, which does away the personality of God, and of his Son Jesus Christ”(James White, December 11, 1855, james white pillarsReview & Herald, vol. 7, no. 11, page 85, par. 16)

“The doctrine of the Trinity which was established in the church by the council of Nice, A. D. 325. This doctrine JN Andrews pillarsdestroys the personality of God, and his Son Jesus Christ our Lord. The infamous, measures by which it was forced upon the church which appear upon the pages of ecclesiastical history might well cause every believer in that doctrine to blush.” (J. N. Andrews, March 6, 1855, Review & Herald, vol. 6, no. 24, page 185)

1 Corinthians 8:6  But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

"Most of the founders of Seventh-day Adventism would not be able to join the church today if they had to subscribe to the denomination's Fundamental Beliefs. More specifically, most would not be able to agree to belief number 2, which deals with the doctrine of the Trinity." George Knight, Ministry, October 1993, p. 10.

"Adventist beliefs have changed over the years under the impact of 'present truth'. Most startling is the teaching regarding Jesus Christ, our Saviour and Lord…the Trinitarian understanding of God, now part of our fundamental beliefs, was not generally held by the early Adventsists." William G. Johnsson, Adventist Review, Jan 6, 1994, p. 10.

The 1874 statements, by Uriah Smith, published in the June 4 Signs of the Times:

1. That there is one God, a personal, spiritual Being, the Creator of all things, omnipotent, omniscient, and eternal; infinite in wisdom, holiness, justice, goodness, truth and mercy; unchangeable, and everywhere present by His representative, the Holy Spirit. Psalm 139:7. [Where can I go from Thy spirit? or where can I flee from Thy presence?]

2. That there is one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Eternal Father, the One by whom God created all things, and by whom they do consist…"

But, the 28 fundamentals say:

2. The Trinity
There is one God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, a unity of three coeternal
PersonsGod is immortal, all-powerful, all-knowing, above all, and ever
present. He is infinite and beyond human comprehension, yet known
through His self-revelation. He is forever worthy of worship, adoration, and
service by the whole creation. (Deut. 6:4; Matt. 28:19; 2 Cor. 13:14;
Eph. 4:4-6; 1 Peter 1:2; 1 Tim. 1:17; Rev. 14:7.)

"He", as in the unity of all 3." Weird.  I don't want to agree with that.  They will deny you membership if you don't?  I'd like to see them try and take my membership again.  I believe God will not let them enforce this baleful church legislation.

"The revelation of Himself that God has given in His Word is for our study. This we may seek to understand. But beyond this we are not to penetrate. . . . None are to indulge in speculation regarding His nature. Here silence is eloquence. The Omniscient One is above discussion." The Faith I Live By p. 40.

Views: 1947

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So we agree here that the 'formless presence' took a form, as He has done elsewhere as fire ect. and the Father was also present there when He spoke from above right? And of course God the Son was also there.
And what's your take on Matthew 28:19 : Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Was he saying ' go baptized them in the name of the stationary presence, the revealed presence and the formless presence'?

Amen!

One being that's three beings? Trinitarians have never taught that. If you want to believe that, go ahead and believe that I guess. 

Trinity = one being in three persons
Tritheism = three beings, one in purpose

Original SDA position = three persons of office, but Father and Son are the only two individuals that are to be exalted; there is one individual called God, the Father. The Son is OF Him and the Spirit is OF Him; there is no such thing as God the Son and God the Spirit. 

Peace

Ricky wrote: "Trinity = one being in three persons... Tritheism = three beings, one in purpose"

Ricky wrote: "Original SDA position = three persons of office, but Father and Son are the only two individuals that are to be exalted; there is one individual called God, the Father. The Son is OF Him and the Spirit is OF Him; there is no such thing as God the Son and God the Spirit. "

Brother Ricky, this might be semantics again, isn't GOD in the flesh the same as GOD the Son?

EGW wrote: "Christ accepted humanity, and lived on this earth a pure, sanctified life. For this reason He has received the appointment of judge. He who occupies the position of judge is God manifest in the flesh."

EGW wrote: "If the disciples believed this vital connection between the Father and the Son, their faith would not forsake them when they saw Christ’s suffering and death to save a perishing world. Christ was seeking to lead them from their low condition of faith to the experience they might receive if they truly realized what He was,—God in human flesh. " DA 664

EGW wrote: "Look, O look to Jesus and live! You cannot but be charmed with the matchless attractions of the Son of God. Christ was God manifest in the flesh, the mystery hidden for ages, and in our acceptance or rejection of the Saviour of the world are involved eternal interests. – {FE 179.1}

EGW said Christ was GOD manifest in human flesh, to me that's the same as GOD the Son, is it not?

EGW wrote: "Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God.” In attempting any description of this love, we feel that we are as infants lisping their first words. Silently we may adore; for silence in this matter is the only eloquence. This love is past all language to describe. It is the mystery of God in the flesh, God in Christ, and divinity in humanity. " FE 179

Ricky wrote: "Original SDA position = three persons of office, but Father and Son are the only two individuals that are to be exalted;.."

I agree with you when say Three Persons of office, in other words Three beings of office, however my belief is that these 3 beings are GOD.
Now, of course you don't believe we should be baptizing in the name of the Father and the Son only do you? Because the Bible says

Matthew 28:19 : Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Here we see exaltation in baptism for the Holy Spirit as well as the Father and Son... All 3 Persons/beings are the ONE and true living GOD. Explaining how this is possible is impossible.

EGW wrote: " Silently we may adore; for silence in this matter is the only eloquence. This love is past all language to describe. It is the mystery of God in the flesh, God in Christ, and divinity in humanity. " FE 179

EGW wrote: "The nature of the Holy Spirit is a mystery. Men cannot explain it, because the Lord has not revealed it to them. Men having fanciful views may bring together passages of Scripture and put a human construction on them, but the acceptance of these views will not strengthen the church. Regarding such mysteries, which are too deep for human understanding, silence is golden." AA 52.1}

However we do know

EGW wrote: "The power of evil had been strengthening for centuries, and the submission of men to this satanic captivity was amazing. Sin could be resisted and overcome only through the mighty agency of the Third Person of the Godhead, who would come with no modified energy, but in the fullness of divine power.

EGW wrote: "The Power of God in the Third Person—The prince of the power of evil can only be held in check by the power of God in the third person of the Godhead, the Holy Spirit.—Special Testimonies, Series A, No. 10, p. 37. (1897). – {Ev 617.2}

The Holy Spirit is the Third Person or being of the GODhead, of course the other Two Persons are the Father and the Son. Brother Ricky, your view seems to downgrade or short change the Holy Spirit, again I say seems, because to do that is a very serious problem in my view.

I strongly suggest you follow this advice

EGW wrote: " Regarding such mysteries, which are too deep for human understanding, silence is golden." AA 52.1}

Blessings my brother. :)

Reasoning said, I strongly suggest you follow this advice

EGW wrote: " Regarding such mysteries, which are too deep for human understanding, silence is golden." AA 52.1}

As Christians, we must always be aware or the enemy devices. Satan certainly doesn’t want any of us to know God, so he makes us believe that God is a mystery too deep for human understanding. In others words, don’t even think about, don’t bother. God tells us, those things that are revealed are for us.

The mystery isn’t what the Holy Spirit is; the mystery has been that it is.  God’s Apostle explains;

Colossians 1:26the mystery that was hidden for ages and generations but is now revealed to His saints, 27to whom God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Obviously you’re not reading the bible or you don’t believe it, but in the bible Jesus says,

“No longer do I call you servants, because a servant does not know what his master does, but I have called you my friends, because all that I have heard from my Father, I have taught you.” John 15:15

Do you believe Jesus?  And If Jesus is right; EGW has to be without a doubt wrong concerning her statement, Jesus says it very clearly.

…all that I have heard from my Father, I have taught YOU.

Jesus never said I will send you a mystery from the Father. In fact, he tells his disciple the very opposite.

He (Jesus) replied, "The knowledge of the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. Matthew 13:11

There are no mysteries for the disciples of Jesus; Jesus called them friends.

But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things and will bring to your remembrance all things that I have said to you. John 14:26

Now, if the Helper was indeed one of three God being, surely Jesus would have made this known because on many occasions Jesus made know that he and the Father was one.

John 10:29My Father who has given them to Me is greater than all. No one can snatch them out of My Father’s hand. 30 I and the Father are one.”  31At this, the Jews again picked up stones to stone Him.…

John 17:21that all of them may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I am in You. May they also be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me…

If the Holy Spirit was another God Being, why isn’t Jesus telling us he is another God being as he and the Father?

In John 14:10 Jesus says,

Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me? The words I say to you, I do not speak on My own. Instead, it is the Father dwelling in Me, carrying out His work.

How was the Father in heaven, but at the same time dwelling in Jesus?

Let me answer that, the same way the Father and Jesus makes their abode is us; by the Spirit of Themselves

John 14:20 On that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you are in Me, and I am in you.

It’s by the Spirit, the formless manifestation of the Godhead, the very presences and power of the Father and the Son.

You have not understood what mystery Paul spoke of. Please pay special attention to verse 6: Ephesians 3

1 For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles,

2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:

3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, note

4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)

5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:

Jason,

You seems to read the bible on the surface, by now you should be comprehending the word with more depth. Paul is actually speaking of something monumental, something that was never known by the people of God before then.

He says,

… Which in other generations was not made known to the children of men (human beings) as now it is revealed to his holy Apostles and to his Prophets by The Spirit:

The people of God who crossed the Red Sea didn’t know this, those who crossed over the Jordan River did not have this knowledge. All those faithful in God  up until the coming of Christ and the revelation given did not have this understanding.

The Apostle Paul says,

…. whenever you read, you can understand my knowledge in the mystery of The Messiah,

The mystery he says is the mystery of Christ the Messiah. Of course you think it’s the mystery about the Gentile nations, but it’s not. Paul says, you can understand his knowledge in the mystery, but obviously you do not.

The Gentiles, the other nations outside of household of Israel, those that are called are also privilege to understanding the mystery of Christ.

Gentiles are fellow heirs, fellow members of the body, and fellow partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus.…

The mystery is the promise in Christ; the promise which comes through Christ. 

What is the promise in Christ?

This is too plain to not understand it. The mystery which was hidden from ages past is that the gentiles would or could be saved (by the blood of the Son of God). Paul spoke of this on many occasions. The mystery is explained clearly in Eph 3:2-9. The great doctrine that salvation was to be proclaimed to all mankind, Paul says, had been concealed for many generations. Hence, it was called a mystery, or a hidden truth. It was communicated especially to the apostles who were appointed to proclaim it, and through them to all the saints. Paul says that he regarded himself as specially called to make this truth known, as far as possible, to mankind.

In Ephesians 3:3 Paul said that he had already spoken about the mystery before.

This again shows the lack of depth of understand on this particular subject, something the apostle was leaning towards when he said that we can understand his knowledge in the mystery of Christ when you read. You’re not reading, you are regurgitating things you have heard and read elsewhere.

The subject of Paul is not the Gentile nations, but the mystery of Christ.  In sharing this, Paul says the Gentiles are fellow partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus.  The mystery is the promise in Christ, this is what has been hid for generations.  Notice Paul clearly explains the mystery in Colossians 1.

…26the mystery that was hidden for ages and generations but is now revealed to His saints, 27to whom God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

How does this relate to the promise in Christ Jesus? “Christ in you the hope of glory” is the promise.

After Jesus was resurrected the told disciples was commanded to stay in Jerusalem.

Luke 24:29 And I shall send upon you The Promise of my Father; but you stay in the city of Jerusalem until you shall be clothed in power from on high.”

Acts 1:4 And when they were gathered together, He commanded them: "Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift the Father promised, which you have heard Me discuss.

The promise in Christ is the promise of the Father, it was given after Christ was exalted.

Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

You’re somewhat confused by the Gentile, but understand they are also partakers of the promise.

The Weymouth New Testament reads Ephesians 1:13 this way.
And in Him you Gentiles also, after listening to the Message of the truth, the Good News of your salvation--having believed in Him--were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit...

Roman 8:9 reads:

... But you are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God  dwells in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his

Two points are revealed here:

…if so be that the Spirit of God dwells in you.

And

…if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his …

So what is revealed is the Spirit of God and the Spirit of Christ; the two God persons is the hope of our glory dwelling in us, their formless presences and power. The apostle Paul says,

I pray that out of the riches of His glory, He may strengthen you with power through His Spirit in your inner being, Ephesians 3:16

Gene why did you pick this passage to prove your point? This is just as clear as the passage I posted before (Ephesians 3:6). Can the eyes of the blind be opened? Yes. Here is the passage in another version:  Colossians 1: 67,27: “26 This message was kept secret for centuries and generations past, but now it has been revealed to God’s people. 27 For God wanted them to know that the riches and glory of Christ are for you Gentiles, too. And this is the secret: Christ lives in you. This gives you assurance of sharing his glory.” Can Paul get clearer than this? The mystery is that Christ, the Hope of glory is not only for the Jews but also for the gentiles, who, according to verse 21, were far away from God, they were alienated, they served strange gods, were aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenant of promise. The Jews thought they were lost forever, they knew there was no hope for them, they had to expectation of any savior to save them from their sins; they were enemies of God, worshipers of idols. They had no idea that the Savior the Jews looked forward to was also their Savior!

The other points you raised are unrelated to what we are discussing 

Peace

Gene wrote: "As Christians, we must always be aware or the enemy devices. Satan certainly doesn’t want any of us to know God, so he makes us believe that God is a mystery too deep for human understanding. In others words, don’t even think about, don’t bother. God tells us, those things that are revealed are for us.The mystery isn’t what the Holy Spirit is; the mystery has been that it is."

Like Jason told you already, your mixing up the mysteries, there are many mysteries revealed, so in that sense your correct and I agree, however the mystery of how ONE GOD is 3 persons or beings is something we can't understand, the knowledge of that inner working on how 1 is 3 and 3 is 1 is unknown.

the Holy Spirit is a being,  His nature is a mystery, not our concern, but I'm sure we agree He is real, He is GOD the Spirit.

That's what this discussion is about, not the mystery your talking about Gene.. This discussion is about the Holy Spirit and what the Bible teaches about the Holy Spirit..

There seems to be a downgrading or a watering down version of the Holy Spirit being taught by Pro.101 and Ricky, in a nutshell they seem to be saying the Holy Spirit is not a being like the Father and the Son. Correct me if I'm wrong...

I believe the Holy Spirit is a being/Person, and along with Him is the Father and the Son, and they are the GODhead, the ONE and True Living GOD. That's it in a nutshell for me, 1 is 3 and 3 is 1 at the same time.. that Gene is the mystery that can't be understood.

The main thing I'm saying and believe is that the Holy Spirit is a Person/being just like the Son.. brother Rob pointed out that the Holy Spirit's name is Shadday, Jesus refers to the Holy Spirit as "He", that "He" will come and be our comforter.

But for some reason there seems to be a downgrading of the Holy Spirit by some.

Pro. 101 wrote: "I have given enough evidence and have pages of quotes showing that there is a Father and a Son alone.  The Son came as an Angel, as an invisible Spirit and as a man and now comes again in His invisible form working in us.

Pro. 101 wrote: "The following shows that after the Father and the Son, created beings are next in honor. There are only 2 BEINGS that are divine. We see from inspiration that a created being, BEFORE and AFTER the fall, is next in honour to the Son. There is no 3 rd God being but only a 3rd person in the Heavenly Trio. This 3rd person Is, as we shall see, none other than the omnipresence of the Son of God."

That's incorrect, there are 3 beings that are divine and they are ONE!

Matthew 28:19 : Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

We all agree the Father and the Son are Holy beings, however for some reason the Holy Spirit is not look on as a Holy being???  I believe the Holy Spirit is a Holy being just like the Father and Son!!

Pro.101 wrote: "There is no 3 rd God being but only a 3rd person in the Heavenly Trio."

SOP already confirms the Holy Spirit is the 3rd Person/being of the GODhead.

The Holy Spirit is One of 3 persons/beings or like Pro.101 said the 3rd Person/being of the Heavenly Trio of the GODhead.

I read the failed attempts saying the 3rd Person is not a Holy being, it made no sense whatsoever. The Holy Spirit is the 3rd Person of the GODhead or in other words the 3rd being of the GODhead.

Blessings!

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by