Adventist Online

what do think are the reasons that our youth are leaving church?

Views: 399

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

too uncomfortable to put the ball in our court? and take responsibility?
they need to learn to rely on Jesus, but if we don't show them how it's working in our lives, will they try?
You might have misunderstood me. I said I would, put the ball in their court, as opposed to finding excuses for them to hide behind and use and yes for them to be responsible for their own choices. Of course, and to learn to rely on Jesus.

I know younger people observe those around them. Some of them may also not care a lot of times. I'm not trying to generalize though, cuz many would prove me wrong in that, and I wouldn't mind in the least :) But, even watching those older than them, they need to make a choice for themselves.

Youth leaving the church... Again, I would say their love for the world may be stronger.
Hypocrisy is something we all do and have. So, the youth need to understand this. We all fall short of the glory of God.
a youth's brain functions differently than an adult brain.
they need to see where "the rubber hits the road."
they live in the present.
Then no matter what you do .... they will be disappointed. I would rather teach them the truth about the matter and hope their mind of mush can grasp it.
I feel parents are to take responsibility for the guidance of their children's activities. If good activities have been the norm from babyhood on up, inclusion with family, etc., desire for these things will become habit. At the same time, exposure to the world is impossible to ignore. Loving discussion and obedience should be part of the child rearing process. That doesn't guarantee each child's choices, however, especially when they get older. But total legalism will turn them away from any authority and alienate their relationship with their parents and their church.
one of the reasons i can come up with is that the youth are torn between to worlds which contradict. we are so fascinated of the things of this world such as fame, success wealth and fashion which all of these excite our emotions and desires bringing instinct gratification,yet in the other hand we feel that church is not satisfying these "desires". the one sermon by a professor of an adventist college once said that sometimes the older generation or older people in the church are to blame for the youth leaving the church. they have not passed down the heritage of seventh day adventist and the faith that as we grow up we make up our own conceptions of believing and comparing these to the modern world we live in.
Youth are leaving the church...
BECAUSE...
1. It's their CHOICE.
2. They don't find church as INTERESTING. They love the WORLD instead.
3. I don't blame but the CHURCH must give more SUPPORT to youth department.
4. Youth leaders must make ACTIONS and PLANS to SOLVE these dilemma.
5. PRAY and ASK GOD to HELP US that YOUTH will come back and strengthen the CHURCH...

God bless...

A friend,
SUE
Youth leave church because they have a choice - they arent hypocrites, not like most adults.
Besides, Christianity as a whole is now being seen as irrelevant in todays society. Surveys across the UK, Australia, USA all show a drop in attendance to church. I do not believe this an Adventist issue but rather one of those typical 'whats in it for me' attitudes so pervasive in Western cultures.

Id be more interested in the Youth that stay.. Id be wanting to know why.
Excellent question Rose. Why are the youth staying? Good thing to know. Any takers?
Please allow me quote this statement...",

>"Youth leave church because they have a choice - they arent hypocrites, not like most adults."

This somehow draw a question as to how can one believe adults who say "the youth of this church are important" when their actions show otherwise?

Hmmmm, really a tough question though. "How can youth believe adults who say "the youth of this church are important" when their actions show otherwise?

There is no doubt that there needs to be better communication with young people - at every level of church administration, from the local church to the General Conference. We have often been too intent on telling young people what they should or should not do, and haven't stayed around to hear what they have to say in return. There must be a more intentional dialogue with young people, and a greater recognition of the contribution that they can and do make within the church.

There is a greater challenge awaits for us. We are members of the Seventh-day Adventist Church, but being a member means more than just holding membership status and sitting in the pew each Sabbath. Being part of the body of Christ means that you also have an active role to play. It is only through getting involved within the life of your local church that you develop a sense of ownership.

And it is not a matter of waiting for permission to become involved in our church. The church belongs to us as much as anyone else. So take the first step toward active membership: attend a business meeting; offer your services in one of the Sabbath Schools; or get together with your friends to plan an outreach or service project in your community. Perhaps it's a guarantee that by becoming actively involved we'll experience a new level of satisfaction and belonging...
Youth leaving the church is a universal dilemma. Not only SDAC has this, but mainstream christian churches also.

May I quote from Ms. Winnete from one of her forum responses from other SDA network.

◦59% of those who left the church did so because of “changes in life situation.”
— 19% “simply got too busy to attend church.”
— 17% said “family/home responsibilities prevented church attendance.”
— Other reasons explained were moving too far from the church, work situation and divorce or separation.
◦37% leave because of “disenchantment with pastor/church.”
— 17% said church members “seemed hypocritical” and “were judgmental of others.”
— 12% said “the church was run by a clique that discouraged involvement.”
◦80% of the formerly churched do not have a strong belief in God, which the study indicated may account for their higher priorities of work and family over church.
◦42% said they are “Christian, but not particularly devout.”
◦24% consider themselves “spiritual, but not religious.”
◦19% said they are “a devout Christian with a strong belief in God.”
◦16% of those who left the church said nobody contacted them after they left.
◦16% said nobody seemed to care that they left.
◦14% said the church was not helping them develop spiritually.
◦14% said they stopped believing in organized religion.
◦10% confessed to wavering on Christianity.
◦6% said they were wavering on belief in God.
Every church has people who come and go. You can’t keep every person, and you can’t possibly appeal to every person in your community.

This is what Christ meant when He told the parable of the "Sower And The Seed" In Matt 13:3-23; Mk 4:2-20; Lk 8:4-15.

When a great multitude came together, and people from every city were coming to him, he spoke by a parable. "The farmer went out to sow his seed. As he sowed,

some fell along the road, and it was trampled under foot,
and the birds of the sky devoured it.
other seed fell on the rock, and as soon as it grew, it withered away,
because it had no moisture.
Other fell amid the thorns, and the thorns grew with it, and choked it.
Other fell into the good ground, and grew, and brought forth fruit one hundred times."

As he said these things, he called out, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear!"
Then his disciples asked him, "What does this parable mean?"
He said, "To you it is given to know the mysteries of the Kingdom of God, but to the rest in parables; that ‘seeing they may not see, and hearing they may not understand.’
Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.

Those along the road are those who hear, then the devil comes,
and takes away the word from their heart, that they may not believe and be saved.
Those on the rock are they who, when they hear, receive the word with joy
but these have no root, who believe for a while, then fall away in time of temptation.
That which fell among the thorns, these are those who have heard,
and as they go on their way they are choked with cares, riches,
and pleasures of life, and bring no fruit to maturity.
That in the good ground, these are such as in an honest and good heart,
having heard the word, hold it tightly, and bring forth fruit with patience.

God is looking for those who endure to the end those that stand firm no matter what!

I add:

In the SDA church, the church may have came short but it is not to be blamed and held accountable with their backsliding. It's their (backsliders) own choice. We all experience the same problems and limitations inside the church. If others manage to stay, why can't they? If others from other faith join and are happy and content in our church, why not they are? It's their own problem and it's their choice not to resolve it. They are accountable of their choice

Lasty Romans 8: 38, 39

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2018   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service