Adventist Online

Do you feel a christian have to be practical/ diligent in his academic studies? I once saw a bookmark in a bookstore that read " I am a christian, but I still have to study". Do you agree with this statement? When I was in a Sunday church, I struggled with the idea as whether I needed to study as a christian student or I will be blessed to pass with Jesus' help without much effort and deligence. Are there any blble verses that encourages academic excellence, effort and diligence-even as a christian?

Views: 3385

Replies to This Discussion

I can't remember any Bible verses about academic excellence at this time, but i always felt that God had already given me a great gift towards doing well in school, my intelligence. He also gave me my teachers, to ask questions, and my parents and peers. I felt and still feel that prayer is needed as well, but remember that you have to work hard for what you get and not simply expect it to come because you pray. 2 Thessalonians (3:10) “… If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat.” Be sure to work hard and pray hard as well.
Thanks for your response sis.
Academic excellence is equivalent to victory. The Lord said we shall be above only and not below.
Definitely the Lord desires excellence not mediocrity, you have to make sure you chose something you are good at. The Lord is able to show you that.
Ancient Israel wasn't excellent in all spheres, the Lord promised them that if they obeyed. Deut. 28:13
Joseph, thanks for your respsonse. How can we get the Lord to show us what we are good at? What did the Lord promise ancient Israel if they obeyed?
I'm quite surprised you are asking this question; yet joyous of your sincerity in search for an answer to you dilemma.
Have you ever come across the scripture which says "For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat."? - 2Thess 3:10
Can we also then say that "the brain/mind that does not study will not pass"?

Haven't you also read that it is written “Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." - Matt 22:21
Who is Caesar in this case? Your studies/books!

God desires His sons and daughters to excel wherever they find themselves to glorify Him. Why was Daniel's God glorified? Because Daniel excelled in wisdom and was favoured by the king - Nebuchadnezzar.
Yet, however well you study, you cannot put your trust in your own understanding; it is the Lord who gives a retentive memory (and when the Holy Spirit comes, He will remind you of all that…).
Remember the word of God says in Psalms 33:16 that “There is no king saved by the multitude of an host: a mighty man is not delivered by much strength”

SUCCESS = Human Effort (though insignificant) + Divine Effort/favour

Human effort however insignificant, it is still unavoidable; because humanity would always cooperate with divinity. Your can experience this cooperation in the bible throughout God’s dealing with men.
a) “And Moses stretched out his hand over the sea (human effort); and the LORD caused the sea to go [back] by a strong east wind all that night, and made the sea dry [land], and the waters were divided (divine effort). - Exodus 14:21
b) “And Elisha sent a messenger unto him, saying, Go and wash in Jordan seven times, and thy flesh shall come again to thee, and thou shalt be clean.” (human effort) – 2 Kings 5:10
c) “Arise, take up your bed and walk” (human effort) – Mark 2:9
Realize that in all cases, the Human Effort is always as a result of faith that works – thus believing that God would help you to pass, you learn and prepare for the exams. If you sincerely know you wouldn’t pass, why would you waste your time learning?

Therefore you cannot depend on how much you have studied to excel, victory is a gift from the Lord; though David was very skilled in throwing his sling, he could not have trusted in his skill to defeat Goliath but to trust the Lord whom he worshipped (for it is written: “…….and the Lord wrought great victory that day”).

1Corinthians 15:57 “But thanks [be] to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.”

On the other hand, God is able to do all things; yet according to His will. This notwithstanding, as much as God can wrought such miracles, it is also written in Deut 6:16 that: "Ye shall not tempt the LORD your God, as ye tempted [him] in Massah." and also Jesus said in Matt 4:7 “Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God."

As much as God is omnipotent, having the power to do all things, He does them when He deems it fit and necessary.

Whatever God has privileged you with; He will expect the strictest account. Therefore be studious and study to show yourself approved of God and your instructors.
Brother Godfred: You gave me the best answer so far to my concern. Thanks so much for explaining and claryfying from the scriptures. Thanks for the bible scriptures. You gave great examples. Yes, humanity + divinity!! Thanks so much!!
Sister Dee
Add on that the Sabbath commandment, Six days you shall labor and do all your work,...
Meaning that if you are in school, six days you are to be digging for information and understanding by the time the sabbath approaches, you have accomplished all what is due to that week. Amen
Joseph, thanks for you reply.
"See a man diligent in his work? He shall stand before kings." (Prov. 22:29). Without due diligence we cannot succeed. Even the genius must read before he can retain, even if he never has to look at it ever again. The genius, I believe, must know concepts and then works with his ability to very quickly apply those concepts. It appears that we are born as empty pitchers to be filled--filled with knowledge from an ever-abounding plethora of books and articles written and published by persons who spent much time studying in order to perfect their chosen art. When we are thus filled, we should be able to impart to many more who need to be filled themselves. "The heights of great men reached and kept, were attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept, were toiling upwards through the night." Words of wisdom.
Monique, thamks for such a brilliance response!!
Sorry, my bad. I already responded.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by