Adventist Online

Hi,

It is a pleasure to be part of this group. I would like to get a recipe for gluten. (I have tried making gluten but I don't particularly like the end result. Tastes good but it is not as firm as some I have eaten.)

Does anyone have one they like?

Views: 40

Replies to This Discussion

ENRICHED GLUTEN CUTLETS

5 lbs. white flour
6 tbsp. soy sauce
3 qts. water
1 onion
2 tbsp. B-plex
1 tbsp. salt

Gradually mix the 3 qts. of cold water into the flour until the mixture becomes a fine lump of dough. Knead it well, cover with cold water, and let stand half an hour. Then to wash out the starch, put the dough in lukewarm water and work with the hands. When the water becomes milky, pour it off, add fresh water, and continue the process until the starch is washed away -- the water cleared. (It is important that all the starch be washed from the dough.) There then remains a lump of gluten. Stretch out the gluten fairly thin by holding it in both hands and pulling on it from first one side and then another until it is as thin as pie crust. Next lay it on a floured board and spread half of it with one shredded carrot, then fold in several times and thoroughly work the carrot into the dough. Finally, shape the gluten into flat cutlets about 1/4 inch thick and 3 inches wide.

To 4 cups of water add B-plex, soy sauce, onion (ground), and salt. Drop the cutlets in and simmer for 2 hours, adding water if necessary. Put in glass container and store in cool place until ready to use. Makes 2 dozen cutlets.

Other choice and suitable vegetables may be used in place of carrots.
Firmness depends on how much starch you have washed out of the flour and how long you have kneaded it. If you are fortunate enough to be able to purchase Gluten Flour it is much simpler to make gluten. Just mix with water, knead and cook. I find that mixing the flavoring in with the water works well and then I flavor again when cooking the gluten. You cannot do this if you are starting out with just the flour and washing out the gluten part. I was blessed with 50 lbs. of gluten flour yesterday and hope to be able to mix up a batch over the weekend.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service