Adventist Online

should women wear trousers...what is your perception... biblical views most welcome

Views: 527

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You know, being in this part of the world throws the discussion in a whole new light. In several countries of the Asia-Pacific region, men don't traditionally wear pants; that's western. They wear a wrap that we might even be tempted to call a skirt. How about that? Is it wrong?

When we read the verse about not wearing what pertains to the opposite sex, we must first try to see it in its original cultural context in order to determine how the principle behind the verse can be applied to our space and time. We must be careful not to apply, lock, stock and barrel, our own narrow (not used in a negative sense) concepts of male dress and female dress to the whole world.

For the Christian, I believe we should be on guard against two "universal" dangers in dress: (1) immodesty, and (2) confusion of the sexes (one being made to look like a member of the opposite sex). The Bible and the writings of Mrs. White warn against those.

Let's find out what pleases the Lord, and let's do it all for His glory.
I have been reading all the discussions and the info is really interesting. God work guys.
I totally agree with Erickson and Joseph, we have to find what please the Lord.

I would like to say that there is more at stake then if trousers are for “Women or men”. I this is similar to time when Jesus was doing His ministry.

We have to think and look at the bigger picture in our Christian life. Cloths, Food and the other things that are essential for a living in this world are only for this world. We are not going to take the trousers or the food from this earth to heaven. So I think we should not make a big deal of what we “To” and “Not” ware. As Erickson said lets not get confused.
“Then the soldiers, when they had crucified Jesus, took His garments, and made four parts, to every soldier a part; and also His coat: now the coat was without seam, woven from the top throughout.” (Jn. 19:23).

SDA Bible Commentary says:
Coat. Gr. Chiton, an inner garment (see on Matt. 5:40)

Matt. 5:40:
Coat. Br. Chiton, the shirtlike undergarment worn next to the body.

The above text speaks of a modesty in Jesus that was stolen from Him by force. Otherwise, He would never have revealed His body. This kind of modesty was His character and custom, a worthy pattern for us all, men and women alike.

“In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; but (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.” (1Tim. 2:9,10).

Again, this is good for men, too.
I guess if they look nice, just no pants suits!
MMM SKIRTS ARE GOOD FOR CHURCH YOU DONT SHOW OFF YOUR STUFF AND SEND THE WRONG IMPRESSION RIGHT? LOL THEN ARE SKIRTS APPROPATIE WHEN WE GOING TO PICNIS,OR HIKES, OR THE BEACH? WE HAVE DIFFERENT CLOTHING FOR EVERY ASPECTS OF OUR LIVES. I LOVE WEARING PANTSI PREFER THEM TO SKIRTS THEY ARE VERY COMFORTABLE BUT AS THE QUESTION GOES EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO THEIR OWN OPINIONS.
There is no problem with women wearing trousers. Ellen G. White says that if there is difficulty in differentiating whether it is a man or a woman it becomes problem. There are men and women's trousers. Although some womens' trousers are too revealing and that is another issue.
This is a very interesting and edifying forum. I believe that every reader will be guided to what God requires of us once the spirit of God is with him/her as he/she reads. i want to introduce material that will be a further guide. The book Seventh Day Adventist Believe the chapter Christian Behaviour. Lastly i want to comment on whether or not our dress will interfere with us going to heaven. Christ said whosoever lust after a woman has already committed adultery in his heart. Christ is teaching us that the sin begins in the heart and the action is only the outward visible manifestation of a sin that was already committed. The way we dress is only a visible manifestation of the heart. Whom does the Lord consider, him who is humble and of a contrite heart. the condition of our hearts is revealed in every thing we do. By their fruits ye shall know them. each person should ask the question, " Am i humble or has pride and arrogance cause me to be lifted up above the statutes of a righteous God." Remember to read the recommended book. it is filled with biblical references.
no

Yes!!!!!!

Timbertwo

i totally agree!

i see the name of this thread and i want to start a new one

just for us men

SHOULD SCOTTISH MEN WEAR THEIR FORMAL PLEATED  KILTS  TO CHURCH?

lol

im not saying frilly or twirly

Yes they should commando... as god intended;)

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2021   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service