Adventist Online

most people have used this passage of scripture about the rich man who didnt care for lazarus who died and went to hell and there starts to see lazarus in abraham,s bosom n they chat..... most people have used this to imply that we dont really die , and that after we die we can communicate with others , besides that it depicts hell as a place wer its hot n burning every single day n u have to withstand the pain... what does this story really mean

Views: 112

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First thing first its a parable.....and it means to me that Jesus was giving a lesson in how we should treat others and that He Jesus loves even those whom we think are insignificant.

He loves us all no matter our colour,creed or situation in life.

Hope this helps
i get the point that its a parable.... and i hope u know that most one parable can be interpreted in a number of ways when human beings want it to suit them and so some have used it to suit their doctrine that we are conscious at death ... thats where i was driving at... thanx for that insight that shows that the story was not a real life thing... i guess we need to keep opening up the discussion n reach a positive conclusion ...thanx
In this parable Christ shows that we have one life, one life of opportunity to take a stand on Christ's side, to claim Him as our Saviour before death fixes a "great gulf" between us and Christ and we have decided our eternal destiny.

In the story both the Rich Man and Lazarus choose how to live their lives. The Rich Man didn't show that the love of God was dwelling in his heart. His riches were not, as some might suppose, a sign of God favouring him above others, a measure of his righteousness. Christ said that the way that people would know that we are His is because of the love with which we treat others.

The Rich Man learnt the lesson too late. From death there is no respite, no communication with the living, no warnings to others. It is a great gulf that remains until Christ returns.

Sometimes we forget that it is all too easy to slip off the precipice of life into that great gulf. It's a good time to hold on to Jesus while we can.
The parable also showed to the religious leaders that although they believed they were prospered by God because they lived off the tithes and had a comfortable life, that they were driving a wedge between them and God in the way they were treating His royal Son. He was warning them that if they continued to reject and fight against the Son and His revived principles of righteousness, there would be a great gulf fixed beween them and heaven that could never be closed.

The 70 week prophetic probation was just about to close, the door would go shut on them, and Jesus had to make it perfectly clear the eternal ramifications involved in rejecting Him. It was tough talk and tough love.

This parable is for us all. Every time we turn off our conscience, the great divide between us and heaven moves wider. Especially is this so when we hear of God's love, in its many varied aspects, tugging at our hearts, and we treat it as a strange thing. Or when we hear of events taking place that fulfill prophecy and dismiss them because we don't want this world to come to an end.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2021   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service