Adventist Online

Is it wrong for Seventh Day Adventist to wear face powder and jewelry?

Views: 890

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mark The spirit of Prophecy and the Bible are inseparable!
Rev. 12:17 "Then the dragon was enraged at the woman and went off to make war against the rest of her offspring - those who obey God's commandments and hold to the testimony of Jesus"

Rev. 14:12 "This calls for patient endurance on the part of the saints who obey God's commandments and remain faithful to Jesus"

Rev. 19:10 "At this I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, Dont not do it! I am a fellow servant with you and with your brothers who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God! For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy."

The word of the Lord has spoken. So my brother Mark either you like it or not. The spirit of prophecy was an inspired word from the Lord period!
I don't believe Mark is saying he does not believe Sister White. He is saying that we have to hold the Bible above ALL other things. It guides our church policy, not the other way around. So quotes from the church manual have no place in this discussion about what is scripturally supported. Only scripture does. I believe EG White was a divinely inspired prophet of God. And I still agree with Mark that we should NOT confuse Ellen White quotes or church policy with Scripture. How are you going to answer the questions about jewelry from other non-Adventists (who do not believe in EG White) when they show you all the texts about jewelry that I just did? You can't just give them Sister White quotes! She has no authority for a non-Adventist You have to respond with scripture to convert the unconverted. So please do that with this question as well.

All our church policy should flow from scripture, not the other way around. Ellen White herself makes it very clear that we are not to place her inspired works on the same level as the scriptures. So we should listen to her advice! Her inspired works were to complement and enlighten us, not become "additional scripture" on the same level as the Holy Bible. The Bible and the SOP are not inseparable. The Spirit of Prophecy is a wonderful gift to us. But it cannot replace scripture.

So let's get back to the question at hand. Jewelry, adornment, and other finery. I gave you many scriptural references that show you that God does not condemn any of these things. So please, from scripture, further support your position that they are wrong when God Himself clearly did not think so.

(This discussion is NOT about the veracity of EG White. If you want to talk about that, please start a different discussion thread.)
Hello Clark, Happy Sabbath.
We are not justifying anything here. What the scriputures say is what we shall take. It's an Adventist forum and we believe in God who gave visions to sister White.

When it comes to non-Adventists the scriptures are clear you quoted them yourself and I'll do so here again.

I Peter 3:3
I Tim. 2:9

I've done some research from Adventist Literature on the point and here below is an article printed by the Adventist Review.

JEWELRY IN THE BIBLE: What You Always Wanted to Know but Were Afria...

Jewelry as it sounds, is all about outward adorning and the Lord desires the heart, than one showing up with necklaces/ ear rings, nose rings etc.

Personally I think jewelry is in the same line with idols, I can't imagine seeing an Adventist with a nose ring, or ear rings and when the Lord returns how are we gonna explain to the Lord that you know Lord, you gave me these ears but i think they look better with some metals hanging on them.

God's people are to be peculiar separated from the World. The line of demarcation between the Church and the World is almost invisible. The World is adorned with jewelry, that belongs to the world and not God's people!

Rev. 17:4 " The woman was dressed in prurple and scarlet, and was glittering with gold, precious stones and pearls. She held a golden cup in her hand, filled with abominable things and filth of her adulteries."

The Revelation given to John at the island of Patmos says it all, the characteristics of Babylon (Satanism) as betrayed with the woman sitted on the Beast in Rev. 17:4 adorning with jewelry. If you compare the Church in Rev. 12 there's nothing like jewelry.

When Jesus came, he revealed things which looked complicated and explained them in simple terms, the Apostles through Peter and Timothy revealed to us about jewelry and even John the Revelator.

The equation for Adventism is Bible + Spirit of Prophecy = Remnants/ Remnant Church.

Clark P said:

"I don't believe Mark is saying he does not believe Sister White. He is saying that we have to hold the Bible above ALL other things. It guides our church policy, not the other way around. So quotes from the church manual have no place in this discussion about what is scripturally supported. Only scripture does. I believe EG White was a divinely inspired prophet of God. And I still agree with Mark that we should NOT confuse Ellen White quotes or church policy with Scripture. How are you going to answer the questions about jewelry from other non-Adventists (who do not believe in EG White) when they show you all the texts about jewelry that I just did? You can't just give them Sister White quotes! She has no authority for a non-Adventist You have to respond with scripture to convert the unconverted. So please do that with this question as well."

Woah...! Hold on a second whilst I cry "foul!" on this one.

Fiona asked, "Is it wrong for Seventh Day Adventist to wear face powder and jewelry?"

As the question was asked specifically about SDAs then it is absolutely correct to quote Sis. White's writings. As SDAs we have all said that we accept EGW's writings as being inspired. Sis. White described the relationship between the Bible and SoP as being greater light and lesser light. Whether greater or lesser both are described as light. Far safer to quote SoP than to give personal opinion.

Please, in a forum by SDAs, for SDAs and in a question *about* SDAs I see no reason whatsoever for trying to exclude SoP in our answers. After all, if we're going to exclude the lesser light maybe we should exclude *all* light and exclude the greater light as well.

(This response has nothing to do with the fact that I introduced SoP quotes into the topic )

Afterthought: when someone describes Ellen White as "a gifted writer with tremendous insight" to fellow SDAs and follows that by saying that "some" of her writing "may" be inspired... well, it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that the author accepts her writings as being the Spirit of Prophecy. Looks more like someone trying to take EGW out of the picture so that the very specific condemnation of jewelry in her writings can be ignored. As I said above, greater or lesser, light is light.

Do you accept the writings of Ellen White as inspired by GOD?Tremendous insight is what you call it? Or do you really think you have a need for Ellen White's writings? I pray that your answer to this question is yes.We need those writings today more than ever when you open your bible you open them too you 'll see how much of your doubts dissappear.1 THESSALONIANS 5:20,21;ISIAH 8:20;
If you seek to turn aside the counsel of God to suit yourselves,if you lessen the confidence of God's people in the testimonies He has sent them you are rebelling against God.Testimonies vol.5pg 66.It's time for us to stop playing in the river on the bank.We have what others dont but yet we doubt them.DOUBTING THE TESTIMONIES....... TEST.VOL.5 PG 672 .May God lead us to his truth. As the storm approaches a large class who have professed faith in the third angel's message but have not been sanctified through the truth,abandon their position and join the ranks of the enemy. says the servant of the lord.We dont want to be in that class.
Indeed she says her work is the lesser light which points to the greater light
Hi Clark, I'm afraid I have to take issue with some of the scriptures that you have used to support God's approval of Jewelry:

1. Ezek 16 - this is not a statement of how God materially blessed His people. Compare these verses with Rev.3:18 and notice the similarity of terms. Remember that this is a prophetic passage and not to be taken literally. Through Ezekiel God describes how He treats His people as His bride and uses the familiar picture of a bride being prepared for her wedding. If we are to accept this as sanctionng wearing jewelry then must we also take Rev.3:18 as meaning that salvation is dependent on how much gold we have? This passage is wonderful passage explaining how God regarded His people and how they rejected Him not an encouragement for self-adornment.

2. Jer.2:32 - there is no endorsement of jewelry here. Again, it is God speaking through His prophet and using an allegory to show how surprising that Israel could forget their God.

3. Isa.61:10, Psalm 25:12 - as above, no endorsement but an allegory. Spoken in terms that Israel would understand.

4. Gen.41:42 - again no endorsement of jewelry. A pagan king honoured Joseph according to the traditions and symbols of the time.

5. Gen.24 - the servant has been sent to find a bride for Isaac and the jewelry which he gives once he knows that she is qualified to be Isaac's wife is typical of how, even today, some cultures give a dowry or bride-price. We cannot use this example to say that God allows us to use jewelry as an adornment. As in some cultures today gold served the same function that banks do. A way of storing, even investing, your increase and, perhaps as in this case, a way of demonstrating that a man has enough means to support a wife.

6. Luke 15:22 - as you said, this is a parable and should be taken as such. As previously, the symbolism of the time is apparent, the ring symbolised that his father still accepted him as an heir even though he had already taken and squandered his inheritance. Would Jesus "include a sinful practice as part of His parable"? Well, try re-reading the parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus which includes the doctrines of consciousness in death, immediate punishment/reward upon death, Heaven and Hell existing side-by-side... need I go on?

In summary, the Bible does not condone jewelry for us living today in fact it makes it quite clear that self-adornment, a form of self-exaltation, is not the Christian way.

One last point, jewelry is not a "good thing from God". God did not create jewelry, man did. All jewelry is fashioned and bears little resemblance to the mineral's created state.

Clark, to paraphrase, look at ALL the scripture (as you said) but, please, look at it in context and do not confuse prophetic symbolism and/or the traditions of Israel of old with consent for a literal meaning that was never intended.

It's all about not exalting self by adornments and maintaining a modesty of person and character that eschews the ostentatious display of a misuse of the means that God has entrusted us with.

I ask again, how can we claim to be Christians if we spend our means on needless self-adornment whilst there are those around us dying physically and spiritually.

I don't believe God will ever say that it is alright for us to spend money on gold and silver instead of feeding the starving or seeking the lost.

Hi Brother,

My comment of what you have said regarding the verses you've quoted should be understand according to the right context of the bible. There is functional and non-functional when we deal of jewelry in the bible. And if you believe in the 28 Fundamental beliefs of the Seventh-day Adventist you will heed it because its a guiding principle. And our beliefs is not only for specific country and it is universal stand of our faith. My advice is please read it more prayerfully so that the Holy Spirit will guide us to know more about the truth.

God bless Brother

You will know a church has fallen when it starts wearing jewelry.

I think the word "fallen" doesn't apply to SDA. sometimes we're barking at the wrong tree.:)

I did not say the SDA church has fallen but those individual nominal SDA churches who are like the world.

Here is what Christ said about a church far superior to SDA or Laodicea : "Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent."

Ellen White had much to say about our condition.
What do you mean by cute?

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2021   Created by Clark P.   Powered by