Adventist Online

Is it because love isn't genuine anymore why the divorce rate is so high?

Once upon a time the divorce rate in the world was far greater than in the church. Today the church's divorce is on par with that of the world?

What has gone wrong? What are some of the factors that contribute to this reality?

What are the solutions?

Views: 116

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's a hint, maybe we adventist are becoming more like the world. If one take a look around in the church he/she will notice that the church hardly stand up for what is right, we hardly call sin by it's right name because we are afraid that persons will not like or support us or even they will bring up our pass mistakes. Plus there's the fact that many couples choose their pathners instead of allowing God to help with the decision, and then there's the other part where we 'bring in the sheaves' and ordain them as God's choosen for us. Let's face it couples hardly want to work out their problems especially when there's an easy way out. Love is not outdated but it's hardly searched for and even exhibited.
So in your opinion you believe it boils down to a general sin problem. We tend to compromise, rather than stand up for what is right. We are more focused on the world and what is happening in the world than on Christ and His mission...Point taken.

Of course on the other side of the coin we do find some genuine christian couples though...isn't that true?
  • Matthew 24:12 Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold.
  • 2 Tim 3:1-5 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without selfcontrol, brutal, not lovers of God having a form of godliness but denying its power... That sums up why the divorce rate is high in the church. If you love the Lord, you'll want to do His will, that means you won't be driven by "feelings" but by the will of God. When driven by feelings, it might lead to divorce because of getting married to someone God didn't intend for you. Our God is a God of freedom, He gives us the freedom to do what we want, when we realize we've messed up, and we return to Him, He always welcomes us, but doing His will is important, even in choosing a life partner.

People are brutal these days, they are lovers of themselves, they care not, they'll just hurt your feelings no matter what?, nothing can stop them.
    Nothing can stop a man/woman from cheating if they have just a form of godliness, today he/she will tell you how much he/she loves you, in the next hour or so go say the same words to another person and even cheat on you.
    So to prevent heart ache, and disappointment, just like Ps. 27:14 says "Wait for the Lord be Strong and take heart and wait for the Lord"

• If we let the Lord God take control of our lives, He can surely hand pick for us the best partners to marry, individuals who fear God, who take Him at His word, people who will not break our hearts, who will build us physically, mentally and spiritually. There's only one person who knows all people on this planet and thats the Almighty so why not surrender everything to him and tell him to get for us the right people?
Wow! That is pretty strong for the church brother. When Paul wrote that passage was he referring to the world, or the church? Remember my thread topic is targeted at the church.
because most people are real lacking the sense of been patience, and most of them they real dont love their husbands/wives that much. so any quarrel or disagreement give them a chance to divorcing.
From your point of view you're saying that the fruit of the Spirit is lacking in the lives of christians, which is love, patience, long suffering, etc.
This is really a serious issue. The bible says God hates divorce, yet we find that couples find it really difficult to forgive one another and pick up the pieces.

They are some persons I know who are frightened at the thought of getting married. Its that bad.

As Yokey said earlier...we choose without making God an integral part of our choices.
i found this an interesting question and i think the answers are many and very varied. Sometimes two people really do love each other, then life happens, circumstances change people. People wake up and realise they dont know the person they have awoken too becos they have changed so much. Some people become abusive and decide to get out rather than be killed. some marry becos they are expecting a baby (that is never a reason to get married in the first place!) to hide the fact that they had sex before marriage, not necesarily cos they know and love each other. but remeber the devil is working hard to destroy us as a people. when u break up a families u break comunities, break comunities u break a nation, break the nation, you break a country. there are just a million and one reasons as well as the ones already touched on here
Naomi you said..."...circumstances change people. People wake up and realise they dont know the person they have awoken too becos they have changed so much."

Is this a spiritually justifiable reason? I mean, is this what we anticipate will eventually happen to married couples, that they will just wake up and grow out of love?

My argument is this. If there are reasonablly perfect couples right now in church, who are prepared to deal with problems in their marriages in a Christ-centred way, then why should the majority fail if we profess Christ?

Is the manner in which christians handle problems in their relationship an indictment on their spiritual maturity? I am fair in assuming that if one cannot run with the footmen, then how is one expected to run with chariots?
nah man boby you got me wrong!!! i was merely stating some reasons. i dont believe that any of the reasons i mentioned are grounds for divorce (unless one partner is unfaithful or being used as a punch bag). your question was why is the divorce rate so high . . . . i was giving some reasons why this may be so. by the way my name is naome not naomi!!!!
I don't think the divorce rate has anything to do with not enough "genuine love." I think over time divorce is seen as less wrong and that makes it easier for more and more people to get divorced. I also think the world has made it very difficult to maintain a healthy marriage. However, many years ago when divorce was lower people weren't necessarily more happy or more in love. They simply had different expectations. Women stayed at home. Men worked away from home. Problems weren't discussed and divorce wasn't an option. Expectations of marriage life is different now AND it is more acceptable in society to get a divorce so it happens. I think people expect things to be easier and when it is NOT they have affairs, they leave, etc.
My question to you is this. What keeps a marriage together?

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2021   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service