Adventist Online

BAN ON SALES OF ASSAULT WEAPONS TO CIVILIANS

Automatic or semi-automatic military-style weapons are becoming increasingly available to civilians. In some areas of the world it is relatively easy to acquire such guns. They show up not only in the street, but in the hands of youngsters at school. Many crimes are committed through the use of these kinds of weapons. They are made to kill people. They have no legitimate recreational use.

The teachings and example of Christ constitute the guide for the Christian today. Christ came into the world to save lives, not to destroy them (Luke 9:56). When Peter drew his weapon Jesus said to him: "Put your sword back in its place . . . All who take the sword will die by the sword" (Matt. 26:52 TEV). Jesus did not engage in violence.

The argument is made by some that banning assault weapons limits the rights of people and that guns do not commit crimes, but people do. While it is true that violence and criminal inclinations lead to guns, it is also true that availability of guns leads to violence. The opportunity for civilians to acquire by purchase or otherwise automatic or semi-automatic assault weapons only increases the number of deaths resulting from human crimes. Possession of guns by civilians in the United States has increased by an estimated 300 per cent in the past four years. During the same period there has been a staggering increase in armed attacks and resulting deaths.

In most of the world such weapons cannot be acquired by any legal means. The Church views with alarm the relative ease with which they may be acquired in some areas. Their availability can only open the possibility of further tragedies.

Pursuits of peace and the preservation of life are to be the goals of Christians. Evil cannot be effectively met with evil, but must be overcome with good. Seventh-day Adventists, with other people of good will, wish to cooperate in using every legitimate means of reducing, and eliminating where possible, the root causes of crime. In addition, with public safety and the value of human life in mind, the sale of automatic or semi-automatic assault weapons should be strictly controlled. This would reduce the use of weapons by mentally disturbed people and criminals, especially those involved in drug and gang activities.

This public statement was released by the General Conference president, Neal C. Wilson, after consultation with the 16 world vice presidents of the Seventh-day Adventist Church, on July 5, 1990, at the General Conference session in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Views: 7008

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can see your line of questions and I would like to answer with something that happened to my daughter.  I am a gun owner.  I have had military training.  I have owned firearms long before I was a Christian some have been in my family for generations.  One even belonged to my grandfather who was a pacifist during WWI.  So firearms are a part of my culture and I grew up around them. 

Now back to my youngest daughter. She had a boyfriend who abused her in a very bad way. She ended up in the hospital.  Not once did it ever cross my mind as a Christian to take up arms and do this person harm. The whole time the gun safe was locked and I never thought to even open it.  You see as a Christian murder is not in my heart.  Thoughts of beating him senseless did cross my mind but in time I have forgiven him and I have even been around him on work related projects after he got out of jail.  This is the saving grace of God.  Maybe this answers your question. Should SDA Christians own guns? I know a few that do and I do not think most should, especially not with out training and when you consider the misconception and ignorance about firearms, safety becomes a concern. 

Would I protect innocents with a firearm?? It is possible and I have trained to do so but I pray I never have to and that is where faith comes in and it is up to God.  You cannot judge in these matters. Defending others is not "self" defense. I am not afraid to die and I do not intend to defend my life.   I have a hard time pointing a firearm at an animal and as taught from a small boy you never, ever point at anything unless it is to be destroyed. 

Shannon is no longer a member here and you and a few others have ideas that make it seem like a "gun" is a tool of the devil and gun owners are by far the most dangerous aspect of society. It is mostly political posturing and we as Adventist should look at the bigger picture.  The Bible, prophecy and history do not support such notions as you and a few others have.   The greatest number of people killed by firearms have been by government and by government/religious entities.   You want some numbers that stagger the mind look at WWII. WWII was in some ways like training for what will happen with Sunday law.  In Europe all the Sabbath keepers (Jews) were gathered up after guns were taken away from private citizens. Do not think that by quoting history I am suggesting anyone take up arms. It is just a fact of history that this is the way things go.    A gun in the hands of a man caring for a family is  very small matter and will in no way match what is talked about in prophecy. 

So did you ever think that by supporting disarming civilians you might be supporting a system that rounds up Christians and Sabbath keepers and that civilians gun owners might be a hindrance to bad things to come?  Could it be that those who wrote the 2nd amendment and also knew the Bible had this in mind?

"I know a few that do and I do not think most should, especially not with out training and when you consider the misconception and ignorance about firearms, safety becomes a concern. "

Raymond, so don't you think that there should at least be adequate controls to ensure this ?

ZJ did you read what I wrote?  I was speaking of SDA deciding whether or not they should legally own a firearm in the USA.  You took what I said out of context.  

You cannot legally own a firearm very easily where you live.  In your case I think this is a good thing for those around you considering your misconception of these issues.

"In your case I think this is a good thing for those around you considering your misconception of these issues."

Raymond did you just try to insult me while I am trying to communicate friendly and cordally on this sensitive topic ?

We are talking about deadly objects that can kill.

"Raymond did you just try to insult me while I am trying to communicate friendly and cordally on this sensitive topic ?"

No insult, if you are afraid of mechanical object of metal and fear murdering someone you should not own that object.  I don't think you fear motor vehicles but they can also cause mass murder maybe you should stick to a bike or walking.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/international/car-rams-into-pedestrian...

It could not possibly be the radical Muslim driving the car so it mus be the cars fault.  I hope Australia gets its big dangerous car problem under control.

Yes indeed maybe we need to ban all objects made out of metal, including Trucks, cars and knives and so on. 

As we have seen here in Australia Cars has been used with deadly effect to kill with, twice in Melbourne both inside a year and both those drivers were Muslims as well.  

I wonder what Cain killed Able with.  Ever notice that the Bible does not mention what object was used in the murder of Able? There was blood on the ground so there was a murder weapon. It does not matter what weapon was used and it is left out of scripture because dullards would focus on the object rather than on the prophetic reason of WHY.  Why do people murder? To say an object makes a person murder is ridiculous. Murder is an extreme act carried out by hatred from the heart. If you took away all objects used for murder we would be living in a vacuum. 

So you have a fear of murdering somebody Raymond ? No wonder the US has a problem. People that has violent intentions like yourself has no business being close to or having access to any guns. 

"Permalink Reply by ZJOutback on August 5, 2016 at 5:06pm
"A car is not "the answer", but it is useful to get from here to there."

Yes a car is the not the answer which is why a driver needs a license or a certain level of skill and responsibility to use a car. You cannot just hands guns out and hope that everyone acts responsibly."

How ironic this is.  Maybe you should adopt the ways of the Amish in order not to drive around in a murder weapon which is the new weapon of terror used by Muslims. It would seem that your secular nation has lost its mind.  It implemented a gun ban to stop murder but allowed people who murder to invade because of the crazy belief by secular do gooders that all people are good, when the Bible teaches that all people are in a fallen state and none are "good". 

Car used as a weapon in Australia: https://guardian.ng/news/14-hurt-as-car-driven-into-crowd-in-austra...

Truck in Stockholm: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/07/truck-crashes-in-cent...

More:https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/video-truck-nice_us_5788237ee4...

Raymond if cars, baseball bats and knives are such effective killing tools then why does the army waste money on buying guns ? Why not issue each soldier each with a baseball bat and drive cars instead of army tanks ? According to your logic they are as effecient as guns. 

JUDGES 3:1-3. “BE A MAN AND FIGHT”

THE POSITION TO HAVE IS THE SEMI CROUCHED, 2 HANDS ON THE GUN POLICE POSITION.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service