Adventist Online

With the affluance of apology demands -  perhaps the solution would be to establish an Apology Board. Members of this board could be presented with evidence as to whom it is felt deserves an apology. Decisions would be binding and an apology must be forthwith or there would be a warning issued.

If a person receives three warnings ... his membership would be suspended for one month.

If a person receives six warnings his membership is to be suspended for three months.

If a person receives nine warnings his membership is suspended for six months.

etc etc.

If there are no members willing to serve on such a board ... members will be assigned to the responsibility by Admin.

How does this sound for a start. Any additions or suggestions?

Of course the alternative would be for us to just treat each other in a Christian manner and to also follow Matt. 18 when that is not accomplished. What say U ?

Views: 49

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

While I am honored and it was my idea - I feel I should decline the privilege of going on the Board. Unless of course assigned by Admin.  :)

The idea of an apology is that you repent of your deed.

It is a basic tenet of Christianity that repentance cannot be legislated.

If you do not repent then you will not be able to apologise.

A further aspect of an apology as far as a Christian is concerend is that of humility. This means that if you did not intend to hurt someone yet they are hurt by your deed, the Christian response is to apologise. Even though no hurt was intended. This is a reflection of Christ-like love for others.

The sort of "board" that you are suggesting is an absurdity and reflective of a Roman Catholic works-based theology. It also assumes the right of conscience over others. It was on this premise that the auto-da-fe or Inquisition was established. The Seventh Day Adventist church has never subscribed to such oppressive practices. 

Rather leave it to the conscience of each individual. Those who truly desire to reflect the love of Christ will humble self and apologise even if they intended no hurt. Those who are consumed with the love of self will always find excuses for their behaviour caring not whether they have hurt another. You may legislate the apology but if it is not heartfelt it is meaningless. Under your proposal it would not be possible to determine whether the apology was one of true repentance or not, and therefore pointless.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service