Adventist Online

I am wondering if we are not suppose to put on wedding rings since it is part of Jewelry? 

Views: 8105

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I would surmise that you get approached more while not wearing a wedding band; because, in this society, it announces you are available and approachable.  So, it makes sense,

Foolish comments.

An honest person will be patient enough to get to know a person before they make advances. A dishonest person could care less about a ring.

In other words, there is no such thing as an honest person who is so aggressive at seeking a person that they go after them before they even know the basis situation of the person's life.

Very true.

I see, you still imagine the world to be the gentile antebellum south with parlor rooms?  Society does not function in that fashion.  A person who finds another person attractive will approach them.  If they are honest, they will see the band and then politely go their way.

And if a man / his wife is honest, they can say "sorry I am married".

So is your concern that someone approaching a man / his wife is too much of a temptation for them, that they may cheat, or is it just too much of a burden to you to speak those words?

"The fact that a disregard of the custom occasions remark, is no good reason for adopting it. Americans can make their position understood by plainly stating that the custom is not regarded as obligatory in our country. We need not wear the sign, for we are not untrue to our marriage vow, and the wearing of the ring would be no evidence that we were true. I feel deeply over this leavening process which seems to be going on among us, in the conformity to custom and fashion. Not one penny should be spent for a circlet of gold to testify that we are married."

But why put anyone through that. An honest man might approach a woman with hopes of marriage and the woman just thinks he wants to be friends. Later he finds out she's married, maybe as little a few minutes, but still, he goes through disappointment and didn't need to happen. If there would have been a ring, he would know instantly and not get his hopes up.

To Heisenberg 

Dude what brought about this situation is/was Abraham and Sarai's dishonesty and distrust in God. All Abraham (and Sarai) had to do was to be honest and upfront with Abimelek and God would have protected Him. The Lord knew Abimelek was lied to by Abraham and Sarai and that is why He protected Abimelek from committing adultury with Sarai. Honestry and deceit come from within.

This Biblical narrative does not give us a reason to wear jewelry(wedding rings)

Preach CHAD.

This is the lesson the Lord taught me over twenty + years ago when I first joined the adventist church. Plus the Lord taught me or was trying to teach me patience. He told me to just since back and observe and you will see who is married and who is not. Plus, he wanted me to learn that in His time He would provide me with a wife. I should have been more patient. Honest people will let you know if they are married or single. When they do, honor them in each aspect.

It shows that people are married. If someone goes around without a band, then people assume that person is available.

My husband and I haven't worn our rings in several years now and haven't had a single issue..

But, what is the public perception? A man a woman and group of kids with no visible sign of marriage?  Would it not seem as if you are part of the growing contingency in North America that are just cohabiting before marriage? Would that not create a stumbling block to others?

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service