We have posted Forum Rules and Guidelines. How can we improve these rules?
Our Rules and Guidelines (found from the drop-down menu on the Forum tab) are here:
They currently read:
"Site Rules and Guidelines For Use of Adventist Online:
1. Be loving. Discuss issues with Christ-like love for your brothers and sisters here.
2. Be truthful. Do not mislead others. Speak words that you have a basis for. Do not speculate about suspicions.
3. No vulgarity or profanity in any form will be tolerated. Threats of any nature are strictly forbidden.
4. Don't call names, make personal attacks, or use negative stereotypes against other people or groups of people.
5. No belittling of individual people, their character, their beliefs, or their motives.
6. Only rebut issues, NOT the people who write them. Do not negatively characterize others' positions or beliefs with your own value judgment. Simply state how you think the belief is wrong and what you believe the true interpretation is - giving your basis for your belief.
7. Don't put words in other people's mouths that they have never said. (This does not, of course, prohibit quoting their words from previous posts.)
8. Don't post in the public forum personal differences, arguments, old grudges, hearsay, or private messages. No spamming discussion forum or chat rooms with off-topic, useless or repeated messages.
9. No spamming, soliciting money, commercial messages, or link farming. Commercial links / messages are only allowed on your own personal profile page. Members agree to not use any of the following ways to advertise, promote, or repeatedly link to any website: Comments, Chat, Videos, Photos, Groups, Blogs, Forum Discussions, Messages (both public and private), Member Name and Profile Picture. Members further agree to not use Adventist Online as a platform to invite Adventist Onlines' members to any other membership site.
10. Adventist Online is not a place to state your beliefs without accountability for their Biblical and/or Spirit of Prophecy basis. Do not stop the open exchange of ideas and the search for His truth by blocking or deleting comments to your blog entries, videos, etc.
11. Listen to, and cooperate with, moderators. Challenging the decisions/actions/inaction of moderator/s in the open forum is not acceptable behavior. Use the "Report an Issue" link located at the bottom of every page to address issues.
12. This is a site by Seventh-day Adventists for Seventh-day Adventists. We welcome all seekers of God's truth here. We believe that God will continue to reveal His truth to His people as time progresses. Thus we are constantly seeking a better understanding of God and His word. We welcome all that are doing the same. That said, if it becomes apparent that your purpose in being a member of this site is to promote a different agenda and/or sow discord among the brethren, your ability to interact with this site may be restricted.
13. Only one profile is permitted per person. Only one person is permitted to use each profile. Each profile represents one person (the account holder) and is not a separate unique entity. The profile is the representation of the person who established it. The person and their profile are one and the same.
14. If you ever feel justified for being negative or antagonistic toward another person... prayerfully see rule #1 and DON'T.
How can we improve these rules? What needs to be added or removed? Are any of these unfair? Do they discriminate against anyone? Thank you for your help, it is appreciated very much.
There are three of us moderators. The only public moderator is myself, Clark P. (My profile is here) The other two do not wish to be identified as they enjoy taking part in the discussions without any bias against them. They also don't wish to be called out as inept (and worse) on other forums, as I have been. :-)
We also have many members who act as our eyes and ears and report issues that arise. We are very thankful for this help as it is impossible for us to monitor every post at the moment it is written.
We moderators almost never do anything unilaterally. We prayerfully consult on all actions taken. We recognize our need of Christ's leading so that we can follow His will in directing this site. Sometimes we err, but we do our best to be accountable and correct all errors.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Blessings and Prayers,
We never seek to control anyone's beliefs or matters of conscience. We only have rules for your behavior while on our website... while you are in "our house" to use a metaphor. As you can see, Adventist Online tolerates a large assortment of beliefs expressed here. Many that we feel are false. So it is clear we do not regulate anyone's conscience. We wish for all falsehood to be rebutted and the truth clearly revealed.
We do guide how members treat each other while in "our house". We wish for this site to be a safe haven for all seekers of Christ and truth. Our rules encourage members to reflect Christ to all others here. We cannot allow sinners to blot out the perfect picture of Christ by their sinful behavior. That would be a tragedy.
Amen brother Sky.
Although up to this point, I believe AO to be pretty fair.
I would say the spirit of domineering and forcefulness comes more from the ranks of the forum members.