Adventist Online

My church Pastor today said the judgements in Exodus 21 to 24 were no longer binding for Adventists today?

In our Sabbath school class we spoke how we follow laws too strictly...that's true, some of us believe ye can't even dip in cool water on a hot Sabbath afternoon....does Scripture really make these laws?

Than there's the other extreme, that the laws are all gone, and we have freedom in Jesus to live as He wants us to live in love....love without rules of any kind...

Most of us, especially the youth are confused...

So what about  these judgements ? A judgement is a teaching based on the Ten commandments aren't they ? Isn't this what SOP said ?

Ex 21:10 If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish.

Today governments see this rule as child maintenance....

Ex 21:17 And he that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death.

How many homes would be kinder if children follow this rule....I am assuming your parents are worthy to be followed kindly....for they are supposed to be models of our heavenly parents.

Ex 21:24 Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,

Doesn't Jesus renew this judgement rule differently in the NT ?

Mt 5:38 ¶ Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
 39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

So clearly the judgement is renewed so the older one are not abolished , only given the correct meaning by Jesus ? This example tells me we are to look at the OT principles in NT settings and learn to adapt the principles under different times of love.

Ex 21:35 And if one man's ox hurt another's, that he die; then they shall sell the live ox, and divide the money of it; and the dead ox also they shall divide.

Could this rule apply in principle to tractors or cars in a renewed setting today?

Ex 22:6 If fire break out, and catch in thorns, so that the stacks of corn, or the standing corn, or the field, be consumed therewith; he that kindled the fire shall surely make restitution.

Compensation laws, these too are still binding as a principle today too aren't they ?

Ex 22:16 ¶ And if a man entice a maid that is not betrothed, and lie with her, he shall surely endow her to be his wife.

Shameful marriages are binding too today aren't they ?Why is it the SDA dis-fellowships SDA virgins for having sex between themselves for the first time? Why don't we follow the torah judgement rules?

Ex 23:9 Also thou shalt not oppress a stranger: for ye know the heart of a stranger, seeing ye were strangers in the land of Egypt.

We are terribly rude to strangers coming to our churches in rough clothes and manners?

The torah has other teachings too, compost toilet teachings, water hygiene teachings, building house teachings, agricultural teachings, clothing teachings, sowing seed teachings, slave teachings, feast teachings, sacrifice teachings, sin-offering teachings, worship teachings, food nutrition teachings, tithe teachings, Sabbath preparation day teachings, and so on....Are all these laws binding too ?Or do we just pick and choose the ones we like ?

Or maybe we are so sick of torah teachings we like to follow Jesus without any rules of any kind, and love Jesus in the world we live, which would be culturally where we live, a part of the world and the love of the world, that's what culture means, how communities of people do things....or are we supposed to be a different nation, spiritual Hebrews doing things as the OT and NT says, not like Jews, or Israel on old, but as Christian Hebrews for the promised Israel in heaven?

Or maybe we just drop the Hebrew culture altogether and live as best we do in our English or Spanish or German world following the culture of SDA Adventism given to us by SOP, which over time has become American in culture, after all the origin of Adventism is from the USA.

Views: 2004

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well Malachi 4:4 says   "Remember ye the law of Moses my servant, which I commanded him in Horeb for all Israel, with the statutes and judgements."     His commandments are not grevious.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2021   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service