Adventist Online

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/tell-a-friend/7354711

Good Morning,

Please answer the questions below honestly and prayerfully consider signing the petition, then pass this link on to all the Adventists you know while you continue to pray.

Do you feel comfortable with the racial and ethnic divide in the Seventh-day Adventist Church?

As a member of God's remnant church, do you think the present racially designed structure of governance is God's ideal?

Do you think like many others, that the present segregation at the local conference level is hurting our efforts to lead others to Christ?

Are you prepared to do something about it for the salvation of others?
Here's your opportunity to do so.

Please click the link http://www.thepetitionsite.com/tell-a-friend/7354711 and sign the petition to the General Conference in session asking the Church to have an atonement service to reconcile the races and pass a resolution as suggested in the document:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/tell-a-friend/7354711

Let us pray for God's guidance and blessings in this.

Prepared by: Committee on Diversity
Collegedale, Tennessee

In Christ,
Canute Birch, member
Collegedale SDA Church
Collegedale, TN

Views: 572

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for signing Kim. Will you now join us in this effort by sending the link above to as many Adventists as you can?
God bless.
This issue seems to be more political than spiritual. It's about jobs, position and representation. When I spoke to Ted Wilson about this when he was a GC V. Pres., he said this is an NAD issue and has to be taken up there. Our previous Pres. Paulsen repeatedly encouraged local autonomy in deciding these matters but our previous NAD president didn't push for having this issue resolved.

If we are to "move forward" this ipso facto segregation of Adventist infrastructure has to be reconciled in some way.
While it seems clear that the apparent fear results from lack of political will, I often wonder if our leaders' spirituality or lack thereof has any influence on their politics. To love and treat everyone as equals is a spiritual matter, as seen in the moral code in Exodus 20, Jesus' words, and all over Scripture. It is the Bible that also teaches us that we are one in Christ (Gal. 3:28). That would seem to make it a spiritual matter.

I feel somehow that since the GC formalized the separation in 1944 at a GC session, then the matter should first be undone at that level. They did it in South Africa. Why not in the NAD?
Canute,

I agree with you and may I say as a new member on this forum that I'm glad to make your acquaintance.

The key to any transformative change on a spiritual level is through grace and grace alone. I find it interesting that the Holy Spirit moved me to check out this discussion thread first and also interestingly it relates to another thread I've been perusing and that is the one that speaks of the necessity for health reformation to have spiritual reformation.

As I searched through the various groups on this forum I could only find one that spoke about the importance of exercise and fitness and also spoke about the necessity for a healthy holistic look at this matter.

Wherever this issue is reconciled it will be because individuals are reacting to the strong appeals by the Holy Spirit moving in their consciences. We have a new NAD president and a new GC pres. If "move forward, not backward" as an operative protocol is to be realized, then this matter will have to also.

Alex
I took a look at most of the posts in this discussion. It seems that there's pretty good coverage as far as what the reasons for this segregation are or could be. (There was a short mission presentation at my church that discussed the reason for the division of conferences [regional and state/black and white at least in the US], and I noticed that it was mentioned earlier in the thread.) But it would seem that the church (perhaps as a whole) has gotten away from Scripture as a primary guide for the "culture" of the church.

"For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:26-28.

From the little bit of this church's history that I'm aware of, I understand that when the structure of this church was first put together, it was done by prayer and Bible study. From what I saw in that presentation that showed what precipitated the segregation in the church, when the choice was made to segregate the church, God was never consulted, and no Scriptural basis or precedent was cited.

Now, I may not have a coherent or complete picture of the current state of affairs in the church relevent to the existing segregation, (and I know I have a habit of oversimplifying) but, if prayer and Bible study (and, as is recorded in the church's history, God's contribution through Ellen White) were the guides for the church's birth and growth, why should we drift away from prayer and Bible study in stirring its course?

(I must say that I'm quite comforted to see that I'm not so alone as I thought I was in seeing the wrong in the segregation of the church [for other than utilitarian purposes]).
I don't know anything about this segregation issue, but I do have something to say...

When are we going to start looking past our skin color and just see each other as brothers and sisters?!!!!!!!!

And I am talking about blacks' and hispanics' racism toward whites as well.... Some comments toward whites on this thread are completely inappropriate on a Christian forum. I am Hispanic, yet I see so many people with chips on their shoulders concerning something that happened years ago in a totally different generation... I'm sorry that you all are hurt about it, but why are we going to waste time redistricting and whatever else you want to do... this tells me you have way too much time on your hands and are not doing the work the Lord is calling you to do.

I am saying this straight from the heart and I'm sorry but I will NOT be politically correct because what I am saying needs to be said. THE SIGNS ARE ALL AROUND US.... THERE IS NOT MUCH TIME LEFT.... STOP WASTING TIME ARGUING AMONG YOURSELVES AND GET OUT THERE AND WORK WITH WHOMEVER IS WILLING TO WORK WITH YOU... I don't care what ethnicity or race they are from!!!

So... I believe if Paul was here he would put it this way: GET OVER IT and get out there and spread the GOSPEL... take any negative experience you have and use it as a lesson in how you are going to HAVE to LOVE those who HATE you....

My two cents....

Blessings to all.
I have not read any inappropriate comments towards white members in this forum. I agree our job is to witness to the world of a soon coming Saviour, but to me its like inviting a homeless man into your house and expecting him to ignore the smell of a dead animal in your home that you know is there but are pretending does not exist. I recall the story of Joshua and Achan when God chastised him for not dealing with the sin in the camp. There is a 'sin' in our camp and no amount of evangelism or pretending is going to make it go away.....The chip on the shoulder argument is IMO an excuse to ignore what is going on....
Bad things reign while good men (people) do nothing.
Whether or not people "smell a dead rat" depends on how YOU treat those around you. If they sense anything going wrong in my church it is MY fault, not the Conference. No matter what the Conference does or does not do, a person will or will not see Jesus in you and me and how we treat and talk about others. Let's look past the color of our skin PLEASE!!!
In reality, the issue is, we have been unable to look pass each other's skin color. That's what happened back then (1944) and that's what's happening now. We have allowed the way each other looks to prevent us from truly uniting and collaborating to evangelize as we ought.

The intent on this thread in not to blame any one race for the problem that we have, but to admit that we are in error and need to approach God for His guidance in correcting this error. If we do not, every ethnic group will soon be asking for its own local conference and the Church will become too divided to function as a corporate body and collaborate in evangelism. It appears that our youth have already seen through our "love" facade as a Church and are leaving for that reason--seemingly more than 60% of them by age 18 in some ethnic groups. This problem is adversely affecting our evangelism and has been for decades. Why not attempt to fix it?!

I am personally aware that the Hispanics have been seeking to get their own local conference in the NAD also. This is being pursued for more than fifteen years now. Why? Is it that they cannot understand English? Or could it be for any other reason such as evangelism? Or politics? Or for fear of survival and having their peculiar ethnic needs met? Why can Adventist Christians not trust each other to look out for their peculiar ethnic needs? I long and believe God longs to see us get pass looking at the skin color, but we have a governance structure in place that is based on skin color and which constantly reminds us of what race/ethnicity we are. Should we not first tear that structure (wall) down? Christ did.
In reality, the issue is, we have been unable to look pass each other's skin color. That's what happened back then (1944) and that's what's happening now. We have allowed the way each other looks to prevent us from truly uniting and collaborating to evangelize as we ought. So why not let us address it appropriately and fix it? It bothers many among us and potentially many who would accept the call of Christ. And that makes it critical and urgent!

The intent on this thread in not to blame any one race for the problem that we have, but to admit that we are in error and need to approach God for His guidance in correcting this error. If we do not, every ethnic group will soon be asking for its own local conference and the Church will become too divided to function as a corporate body and collaborate in evangelism. It appears that our youth have already seen through our "love" facade as a Church and are leaving for that reason--more than 60% of them by age 18 in some ethnic groups. This problem is adversely affecting our evangelism and has been for decades. Why not attempt to fix it?!

I am personally aware that the Hispanics have been seeking to get their own local conference in the NAD also. This is being pursued for more than fifteen years now. Why? Is it that they cannot understand English? Or could it be for any other reason such as evangelism? Or politics? Or for fear of survival? Why can Adventist Christians not trust each other to look out for their peculiar ethnic needs? I long and believe God longs to see us get pass looking at the skin color, but we have a governance structure in place that is based on skin color and which constantly reminds us of what race/ethnicity we are. Should we not first tear that structure (wall) down?
Hi Canute, I attend a multi-cultural congregation. People of all ethnicities and backgrounds freely mingle. However, I'm not so naive that I cannot observe the world around me. Our Sabbaths, like Sundays tend to be the most segregated days of the week when it comes to church-goers. This is extremely sad.
Am shocked as a new member in da site n from Africa am terribly shocked but who to lead and who to follow ,racism is the order where pple of diferrent colour meet but change begins with u in u , the inner u, how do you view a white or black person whenever you meet? racism is not in the colour but in u ,what u believe. pray to God to help us and learn to forgive and forget the past

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2021   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service