Adventist Online

Should true Christian adventists spend lots of money on a wedding or make it simple as possible but special? Esp since we are living in the last days?

Views: 255

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Should be affordable

As Jason said it should be affordable to the individuals involved. They should not need to go into any heavy debt over a wedding day. However, remember, what may be affordable to you may not be affordable to another. God has blessed us with different levels of wealth and so even if you may see someone with a so-called "extravagant" wedding, it may not be so to the bride and groom, just the level of wealth they've been blessed with. I have a friend who got married not too long ago and they had a wedding at one of the most expensive hotels in Florida while their honey moon was at the most luxurious resorts in Dubai. The amount of money they spent didn't affect them one bit; it did not even make a dent on their checkbooks. While for others, including myself, at the time of the wedding could not afford all of that. So it just goes to say that it just strictly depends on where you are wealth wise at that given time.

Also remember, that at the end all those things won't matter much. What's going to end up mattering at the end of it, is how truly long-lasting the marriage ends up being. I mean, look at Hollywood and their luxurious weddings after all...

Simple wedding? I would definitely say, Yea.

The wedding day is meant to be a day to remember... so, yes it needs to be something special. (The day should not be remembered for its stress, or for its extravagance. Neither should it be remembered for levity and laughter... it is, I believe, intended to be a day of "solemn joy". The couple are setting up a day to remember... a "day or remembrance", a special "memorial" of commitment.)

I would say that it is wise for the Christian to believe that pride and the love of display will always bring a disappointment (and a fall). And I would suggest that the man should not think that by indulging his soon-to-be wife with a show of extravagance, he is showing her his love and affection. Simplicity, in my view, is always the wisest, safest, way. 

ceremony be conducted without display and extravagance, marriage at this time need not be displeasing to God.6

There is no reason why we should make great parade or display, even if the parties were perfectly suited to each other.7

It has always seemed so very inappropriate to me to see the marriage ordinance associated with hilarity and glee and a pretense of something. No. It is an ordinance ordained of God, to be looked upon with the greatest solemnity. As the family relation is formed here below, it is to give a demonstration of what they shall be, the family in heaven above. The glory of God is ever to be made first.

We were married on the day my wife graduated from college (1955)...We had practically no money,..prepared all the food for the reception ourselves.   We must have done something right....Nuff Sed

Luke 17:26 And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man. 27 They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all. (KJV)

The majority of the marriages of our time, and the way in which they are conducted, make them one of the signs of the last days. Men and women are so persistent, so headstrong, that God is left out of the question. If men and women are in the habit of praying twice a day before they contemplate marriage, they should pray four times a day when such a step is anticipated.

Marriage is something that will influence and affect your life, both in this world, and in the world to come. A sincere Christian will not advance his plans in this direction without the knowledge that God approves his course. He will not want to choose for himself, but will feel that God must choose for him. We are not to please ourselves, for Christ pleased not himself.

A question people should apply to themselves, not to others. 

Simple yeah

I went to no debt over a wedding.  I went to debt in University, but that was before I knew the truth about loans, borrowing, and owing no man anything, but to love one another.  God's will be done, Andrew

The man's position: Yea,

The woman's position: Nay,

Welcome to marriage.

My only advice like others have said would be to stay within your means.  I don't recommend going into debt for a wedding or anything else.  Everyone's living with different circumstances so we shouldn't judge people.  My personal view, I prefer simple but I wanted something to bond with not just my wife but also her family so I let my wife handle the details and it turned out as something we both were pleased with.  

Perception is also in the eye of beholder, what you may view as extravagance or simple may not have been the goal of the wedding party.   Hopefully whatever the couple's decision is it will be God centered and result in a happy outcome like Christians using their wealth wisely and putting people to work with jobs catering and providing the other necessities that go along with whatever they planned or the couple saving their resources for the uncertain future.   In the end God will judge not us.

What I have noticed is that weddings today(outside of Adventist circles) center on the bride.   You here statements like "Its her day to shine" or "Its her special day".  I do not think the Bible teaches that.  The Bible talks allot about this and it should be centered on God and the Bible.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2021   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service