Adventist Online

What do you think about Liberal Christianity or Liberal adventist ..Is there such thing as a liberal seventh day adventist ??

In my Christian journey i have encountered many different individuals, lately i have been communicating with a former adventist pastor he considers himself a liberal seventh day adventist.. He believes that he can go against the law of God, live a life of sin and God will understand..

The last time we spoke he said that there he sees nothing sinful or wrong it fornication.. He said God do understands that sexual intercourse is something that he needs as a individual, so if he performs the act out of wedlock God will understand..

My question here for you is, Is liberalism acceptable in the adventist Church? 

I had to do some reading on this subject this are some of the definition i found for liberal Christianity 

Liberal Christianity, sometimes called liberal theology, is an umbrella term covering diverse, philosophically and biblically informed religious movements and ideas within Christianity from the late 18th century and onward. The word "liberal" in liberal Christianity does not refer to a progressive political agenda or set of beliefs, but rather to the manner of thought and belief associated with the philosophical and religious paradigms developed during the Age of Enlightenment.

Liberal Christianity, broadly speaking, is a method of biblical hermeneutics, an undogmatic method of understanding God through the use of scripture by applying the same modern hermeneutics used to understand any ancient writings. Liberal Christianity does not claim to be a belief structure, and as such is not dependent upon any Church dogma or creedal statements. Unlike conservative varieties of Christianity, it has no unified set of propositional beliefs. The word liberal in liberal Christianity denotes a characteristic willingness to interpret scripture without any preconceived notion of inerrancy of scripture or the correctness of Church dogma.[1] A liberal Christian, however, may hold certain beliefs in common with traditional, orthodox, or even conservative Christianity.

The theology of liberal Christianity was prominent in the Biblical criticism of the 19th and 20th centuries. The style of Scriptural hermeneutics(interpretation of the Bible) within liberal theology is often characterized as non-propositional. This means that the Bible is not considered a collection of factual statements, but instead an anthology that documents the human authors' beliefs and feelings about God at the time of its writing—within a historical or cultural context. Thus, liberal Christian theologians do not claim to discover truth propositions but rather create religious models and concepts that reflect the class, gender, social, and political contexts from which they emerge. Liberal Christianity looks upon the Bible as a collection of narratives that explain, epitomize, or symbolize the essence and significance of Christian understanding.[2] Thus, liberal Christians do not regard the Bible as divinely inspired (God's Word), but subject Scripture to human reason.

In the 19th century, self-identified liberal Christians sought to elevate Jesus' humane teachings as a standard for a world civilization freed from cultic traditions and traces of "pagan" belief in the supernatural.[3] As a result, liberal Christians placed less emphasis on miraculous events associated with the life of Jesus than on his teachings. The effort to remove "superstitious" elements from Christian faith dates to intellectual reformist Christians such asErasmus and the Deists in the 15th–17th centuries.[4] The debate over whether a belief in miracles was mere superstition or essential to accepting thedivinity of Christ constituted a crisis within the 19th-century church, for which theological compromises were sought.

I would be happy to hear you thoughts on this issue be blessed 

Views: 331

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am liberal because I can reject an idea some may bring  but it does not means I am rejecting that person.This about people. About the bible and christian life style I am not liberal.But I am learning new things everyday about this :).

@ Alex .

I totally agree .. Amen 

blessings 

emlyne 

Exactly Alex. And to answer to your question Emlyne,I'll say SDA church  reject liberal ideas but does not reject the people. They exclude themselves.

There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death. - Proverbs 16:25 KJV

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. - 2 Timothy 2:15 KJV

There are many who say, "its all good". "You want to worship this way? Its all good". "You want to bring this into the church? Thats good". Or, "God understands". 

And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams. - 1 Samuel 15:22 KJV

We have to be very careful about turning left or right. Because people got soft, as Aaron once did, we've had some undesireable consequences. Thing is, it may be hard to see for some. Or maybe worse, some just like what they like so much that they just don't want to hear about anything that might jeopardize that :/ 

To be fair, we are not to become legalists either. With that said, we need to continue studying the Word and be sure to follow God, turning neither to the left, nor the right. I would hope to never be either liberal, nor a misunderstood "conservative". 

Emlyne

Yes, Adventist should be liberal.  They should give as much as they can to help others, not just monetarily, but of themselves and their time and especially their divine love.  Just look at  how liberal Jesus was.  He descended down from heaven and gave His all, literally, to save mankind.

BUT, I have a feeling that this is not the way you are using the term "Liberal."  In the area of "Liberal" vs. "Conservative," one must avoid both categories.  I was asked one time which I was.  I responded that I am a liberal conservative.  Conservative in the sense that I want to be sure that each step I take is in harmony with God's revealed will, and liberal in the sense that I am willing to be led by God, I am not set in concrete.  I attempt to move along the middle of the road, not deviating to either camp.  Of course the down side is that you get shot at by both sides.  Jesus did, so what can we expect?

In fact, I would go so far as to say that if we are either liberal or conservative that we probably are not a Christian.  A true Christian is one who remains in the middle of the road, neither deviating to the right or to the left.  They keep their eyes on Jesus and follow Him whereever He leads.  For a Christian does not deviate to either side from the middle of the road that Jesus has marked out.  If we go to either extreme, we are following people, not Jesus.

Maranatha :)
Ray

Good Comment Ray.

It IS a turf battle. Some are trying to take over what it means to be a card carrying Liberal.

And I for one don't intend to let them redefine it to their liking.

Ray

Totally agree... but according to many the definition above is what they use... this is why the question was asked.

Nhim..

I am still wondering about you 

Johnnnnnnnnnnnn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol 

It is ..

Just love being funny.. cant keep the funny bone under control..

blessings 

INDEED ..LOL

Emlyne

Still wondering?  ROFL  So are a whole lot of other people. 

Well, one thing that you can be sure of is that I love the Lord and that I intend to follow Him wherever He leads. 

Everything else is a top military secret. LOL

Ray

Ray ...

Top Military secret? can you let me in on it lol 

Now you have me all curious sir ...

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members: