Adventist Online

What do you think about Liberal Christianity or Liberal adventist ..Is there such thing as a liberal seventh day adventist ??

In my Christian journey i have encountered many different individuals, lately i have been communicating with a former adventist pastor he considers himself a liberal seventh day adventist.. He believes that he can go against the law of God, live a life of sin and God will understand..

The last time we spoke he said that there he sees nothing sinful or wrong it fornication.. He said God do understands that sexual intercourse is something that he needs as a individual, so if he performs the act out of wedlock God will understand..

My question here for you is, Is liberalism acceptable in the adventist Church? 

I had to do some reading on this subject this are some of the definition i found for liberal Christianity 

Liberal Christianity, sometimes called liberal theology, is an umbrella term covering diverse, philosophically and biblically informed religious movements and ideas within Christianity from the late 18th century and onward. The word "liberal" in liberal Christianity does not refer to a progressive political agenda or set of beliefs, but rather to the manner of thought and belief associated with the philosophical and religious paradigms developed during the Age of Enlightenment.

Liberal Christianity, broadly speaking, is a method of biblical hermeneutics, an undogmatic method of understanding God through the use of scripture by applying the same modern hermeneutics used to understand any ancient writings. Liberal Christianity does not claim to be a belief structure, and as such is not dependent upon any Church dogma or creedal statements. Unlike conservative varieties of Christianity, it has no unified set of propositional beliefs. The word liberal in liberal Christianity denotes a characteristic willingness to interpret scripture without any preconceived notion of inerrancy of scripture or the correctness of Church dogma.[1] A liberal Christian, however, may hold certain beliefs in common with traditional, orthodox, or even conservative Christianity.

The theology of liberal Christianity was prominent in the Biblical criticism of the 19th and 20th centuries. The style of Scriptural hermeneutics(interpretation of the Bible) within liberal theology is often characterized as non-propositional. This means that the Bible is not considered a collection of factual statements, but instead an anthology that documents the human authors' beliefs and feelings about God at the time of its writing—within a historical or cultural context. Thus, liberal Christian theologians do not claim to discover truth propositions but rather create religious models and concepts that reflect the class, gender, social, and political contexts from which they emerge. Liberal Christianity looks upon the Bible as a collection of narratives that explain, epitomize, or symbolize the essence and significance of Christian understanding.[2] Thus, liberal Christians do not regard the Bible as divinely inspired (God's Word), but subject Scripture to human reason.

In the 19th century, self-identified liberal Christians sought to elevate Jesus' humane teachings as a standard for a world civilization freed from cultic traditions and traces of "pagan" belief in the supernatural.[3] As a result, liberal Christians placed less emphasis on miraculous events associated with the life of Jesus than on his teachings. The effort to remove "superstitious" elements from Christian faith dates to intellectual reformist Christians such asErasmus and the Deists in the 15th–17th centuries.[4] The debate over whether a belief in miracles was mere superstition or essential to accepting thedivinity of Christ constituted a crisis within the 19th-century church, for which theological compromises were sought.

I would be happy to hear you thoughts on this issue be blessed 

Views: 294

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Michael

While I do not care to argue with what you said, we do have this admonition from Jesus.

"The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks." Luke 6:45 (ESV) 

In regards to the dance, it does show what is in the heart.  From what I can see, demonstration dancing is a case of: "LOOK AT ME!!!  I AM SO GREAT!!!"  One exception is some of the folk dancing that I have seen from some countries, where it is a group endeavor in coordination, not a flaunting of the human body.

Ballroom dancing is yet another ilk.  Again, from my observations, the dance is designed to stir up emotions that do not turn one's affections to the things of God.  How someone could keep their mind on heavenly things when a "heavenly thing" is wiggling around that close is more then I can understand.  It seems like it indeed is a demonstration of what is in the heart, and it is not about things above.

As near as I can tell, all the rest of the dance forms go down hill from there.

One dance type that is often used as an "exception" is the so called "sacred dance."  From the ones I have seen, I'll just put it this way.  There is no way I would want my wife up there doing those dances.  I'll leave it at that.

Yes, people argue loud and long that what one does is not a representation of what is in the heart.  I'm on record as not beleiveing that for a second.  Oh, there are some minor exceptions.  I.e.  On occasion, I have attended prayermeeting with my work clothes on.  I was on a project and I had no time to get home and back to the church in time for prayermeeting, so I came as I was.  I'm sure God wanted my mind there even if my body was not in clothing I would normally wear.  However, that has probably happened less then 1/2 dozen times in my life.    Yes, I am more then 6 years old. LOL

There is wisdom in allowing free expression.  For in that free expression what is in the heart is manifest without putting on a front.  For some, free expression will be most damaging to them.

Maranatha :)
Ray

That makes sense Ray...

It's my firm belief that the truth will be clear to all those that diligently seek Him - ...'ye shall know the Truth...'

God bless!

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by