Adventist Online

What do you think about Liberal Christianity or Liberal adventist ..Is there such thing as a liberal seventh day adventist ??

In my Christian journey i have encountered many different individuals, lately i have been communicating with a former adventist pastor he considers himself a liberal seventh day adventist.. He believes that he can go against the law of God, live a life of sin and God will understand..

The last time we spoke he said that there he sees nothing sinful or wrong it fornication.. He said God do understands that sexual intercourse is something that he needs as a individual, so if he performs the act out of wedlock God will understand..

My question here for you is, Is liberalism acceptable in the adventist Church? 

I had to do some reading on this subject this are some of the definition i found for liberal Christianity 

Liberal Christianity, sometimes called liberal theology, is an umbrella term covering diverse, philosophically and biblically informed religious movements and ideas within Christianity from the late 18th century and onward. The word "liberal" in liberal Christianity does not refer to a progressive political agenda or set of beliefs, but rather to the manner of thought and belief associated with the philosophical and religious paradigms developed during the Age of Enlightenment.

Liberal Christianity, broadly speaking, is a method of biblical hermeneutics, an undogmatic method of understanding God through the use of scripture by applying the same modern hermeneutics used to understand any ancient writings. Liberal Christianity does not claim to be a belief structure, and as such is not dependent upon any Church dogma or creedal statements. Unlike conservative varieties of Christianity, it has no unified set of propositional beliefs. The word liberal in liberal Christianity denotes a characteristic willingness to interpret scripture without any preconceived notion of inerrancy of scripture or the correctness of Church dogma.[1] A liberal Christian, however, may hold certain beliefs in common with traditional, orthodox, or even conservative Christianity.

The theology of liberal Christianity was prominent in the Biblical criticism of the 19th and 20th centuries. The style of Scriptural hermeneutics(interpretation of the Bible) within liberal theology is often characterized as non-propositional. This means that the Bible is not considered a collection of factual statements, but instead an anthology that documents the human authors' beliefs and feelings about God at the time of its writing—within a historical or cultural context. Thus, liberal Christian theologians do not claim to discover truth propositions but rather create religious models and concepts that reflect the class, gender, social, and political contexts from which they emerge. Liberal Christianity looks upon the Bible as a collection of narratives that explain, epitomize, or symbolize the essence and significance of Christian understanding.[2] Thus, liberal Christians do not regard the Bible as divinely inspired (God's Word), but subject Scripture to human reason.

In the 19th century, self-identified liberal Christians sought to elevate Jesus' humane teachings as a standard for a world civilization freed from cultic traditions and traces of "pagan" belief in the supernatural.[3] As a result, liberal Christians placed less emphasis on miraculous events associated with the life of Jesus than on his teachings. The effort to remove "superstitious" elements from Christian faith dates to intellectual reformist Christians such asErasmus and the Deists in the 15th–17th centuries.[4] The debate over whether a belief in miracles was mere superstition or essential to accepting thedivinity of Christ constituted a crisis within the 19th-century church, for which theological compromises were sought.

I would be happy to hear you thoughts on this issue be blessed 

Views: 331

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are babes in Christ on this site who seek for encouragement and comfort

in their Christian growth. They also seek answers to difficult questions which

they may encounter from time to time in their personal soul winning effort. It

therefore behoves us to answer the questions in it's context.

Even for good things like dancing - Satan will attack and provide the counterfeit which is the constant conservative approach to do  away with that which God has proclaimed to be good. 

What a shame.

And thank you so much John E for sharing the Word and the SOP with us. I have learned so much from you. I am truly blessed. And we are blessed to have you on this forum. Don't listen to the closed minded and those set in concrete with their dogmatic dogma. Listen to ME man. lol

For anyone who is genuinely searching for Truth concerning music and dancing watch "Sonic Warfare" by Ivor Myers. 

Blessings and Happy Sabbath...

"nuff said"

Michelle

Yes John... I know you already know everything there is to know about everything... I didn't post that info for you.... 

Blessings...

Michelle

Michelle -  If you had posted scripture I would go to it. But posting a suggestion to go and look what a biased man says ... I want no part of. We are to look to God not man.

About Dancing:

Unacceptable Dance (when dancing is done as amusement):

"There are amusements, such as dancing, card playing, chess, checkers, etc., which we cannot approve because Heaven condemns them. These amusements open the door for great evil." Adventist Home 498.

"To those who plead for these diversions we answer, We cannot indulge in them in the name of Jesus of Nazareth. The blessing of God would not be invoked upon the hour spent at the theater or in the dance. No Christian would wish to meet death in such a place. No one would wish to be found there when Christ shall come." Adventist Home, 516.

"David's dancing in reverent joy before God has been cited by pleasure lovers in justification of the fashionable modern dance, but there is no ground for such an argument. In our day dancing is associated with folly and midnight reveling. Health and morals are sacrificed to pleasure. By the frequenters of the ballroom God is not an object of thought and reverence; prayer or the song of praise would be felt to be out of place in their assemblies. This test should be decisive. Amusements that have a tendency to weaken the love for sacred things and lessen our joy in the service of God are not to be sought by Christians. The music and dancing in joyful praise to God at the removal of the ark had not the faintest resemblance to the dissipation of modern dancing. The one tended to the remembrance of God and exalted His holy name. The other is a device of Satan to cause men to forget God and to dishonor Him." Adventist Home 517.

"They are not to educate their children to attend parties and concerts and dances, to have and attend feasts, because after this manner the Gentiles walk." Child Guidance 181.

"Oh, what an account such parents will have to render to God! They dishonor God and show all honor to their wayward children, opening their doors to amusements which they have in the past condemned from principle. They have allowed card playing, dancing parties, and balls to win their children to the world. At the time when their influence over their children should be strongest, bearing a testimony of what true Christianity means, like Eli they bring themselves under the curse of God by dishonoring Him and disregarding His requirements, in order to gain the favor of their children. But a fashionable piety will not be of much value in the hour of death. Although some ministers of the gospel may approve this kind of religion, parents will find that they are leaving the crown of glory to obtain laurels that are of no value. God help fathers and mothers to arouse to their duty!" Child Guidance 278.

Acceptable Dance:

"The music and dancing in joyful praise to God at the removal of the ark had not the faintest resemblance to the dissipation of modern dancing. The one tended to the remembrance of God and exalted His holy name. The other is a device of Satan to cause men to forget God and to dishonor Him." Adventist Home 517.

More people posting the same quotes I did.

Amazing how great minds think alike. :)

Except 63 ... you got me beat by quoting the same quote that I quoted but you quoted it  twice in the same post..

LOL 

I still need to know what kind of dance that will be.. is it the jumping up kind, the whinning kind, the grinning kind.. or the swaying from left to right..

Emlyne

For many it will be when fire falls from heaven and they are dancing like on a hot tin roof.

Maranatha :)
Ray

We should also be prepared for such a request from God.

I don't want to be poor at something God might request of me. This is why dance lessons are important.

All I can say is that I tried. But since I failed - I have to assume that God will not call upon me to dance.

A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; - Ecclesiastes 3:3 KJV

I'm not trying to bring about another series of exclamation points from you, but, God also says there is a time to kill. God said it. Not me, God did. 

The real question is, can we discern the times we are in? 

Is it a time to kill? Or heal? 

I repeat, God says there is a time to kill. 

Is it possible that maybe now is not the time to kill? Why should we stay on 5 or 6 words and isolate it from the rest of the Bible and make a doctrine out of it as you seem to be trying? I really mean no offense with this, and am so hoping that its not seen as some attack to bring more wrath or whatever by you, I'm trying to be sincere here. 

Knowing Christ is in the Most Holy as High Priest in the investigative judgement, is it now easier to see that it is not time to dance? Rather, every evidence points to that it is time to afflict our souls, time to examine our lives. Doesn't that make sense? We're in judgement, right? I mean, we're SDA, its a big part of our beliefs? Right? 

The wages of sin is death. Now, with that said, if you were accused and brought to court for whatever, that is to bring a penalty of death if found guilty, would you be dancing while on trial? Lets be real, there is no reason to dance because it is not the time to. Its logical, common sense, and Biblical. Proof of this in a previous reply I'm sure has been seen. 

Again, the intent is not to create more argument. Its to be real, and come to be in agreement on this topic that should not be a question. It is not the time to dance, friend. 

Pretty interesting thoughts on the topics of liberalism and dance. 

There is a deep respect for robust discussions where respect for divergent views is present.  Since we "'don't know the cost of the oil in the others' alabaster box'", there is wisdom in allowing free 'expression' without an unhealthy level of judgementalism. 

It helps to remember that God knows the motives in every case and thus it is proprietary that He has the final word!  Let's keep the lively discussions flowing, being open to the promptings of the Holy Spirit as God enlightens us through inspiration and revelation.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service