Adventist Online

SDA fundamentals : 5 Holy Spirit

God the eternal Spirit was active with the Father and the Son in Creation, incarnation, and redemption. He inspired the writers of Scripture. He filled Christ’s life with power. He draws and convicts human beings; and those who respond He renews and transforms into the image of God. Sent by the Father and the Son to be always with His children, He extends spiritual gifts to the church, empowers it to bear witness to Christ, and in harmony with the Scriptures leads it into all truth. (Gen. 1:1, 2; Luke 1:35; 4:18; Acts 10:38; 2 Peter 1:21; 2 Cor. 3:18; Eph. 4:11, 12; Acts 1:8; John 14:16-18, 26; 15:26, 27; 16:7-13.)

Excuse my understanding of Scripture and childlike grapple of Hebrew but why does the SDA fundamentals promote so solidly,  that the Holy Spirit is a "He", when Scripture in all probability says the Holy Spirit is more like a "She"... I mean why make this an solid statement when the Bible does not even describe the Father as a "He", this is; gender male, the Bible is silent over the gender like descriptions of the Godhead.... should we not be more respectful and stick to what is clearly revealed in Scripture ?

Shalom

Views: 1923

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Peace

Rob: "EGW speaks of a heavenly trio of Beings, so I stick to three co-eternal Beings, and this approach to poetry makes more sense then equating parallels as the same thing...."

I'm saying that as well brother Rob, the whole parallels thing is interesting, but I like to keep it simple, I'm a simple man brother.... You ask,

Rob: "you believe in only two heavenly Beings ? Is this correct ? The Restitution Ministries has a similar theory of faith...."

No, I don't. But trying to determine the nature of the Holy Spirit is something I won't do, because it's a mystery.

EGW: "The nature of the Holy Spirit is a mystery. Men cannot explain it, because the Lord has not revealed it to them. Men having fanciful views may bring together passages of Scripture and put a human construction on them, but the acceptance of these views will not strengthen the church. Regarding such mysteries, which are too deep for human understanding, silence is golden. – {AA 52.1}

I know the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father brother Rob..

EGW: "It is not essential for us to be able to define just what the Holy Spirit is. Christ tells us that the Spirit is the Comforter, “the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father.” It is plainly declared regarding the Holy Spirit that, in His work of guiding men into all truth, “He shall not speak of Himself.”

EGW speaks of the Holy Spirit as "His", the Bible calls the Holy Spirit "He".... The whole "she" thing that you believe is something I don't see. You question the Bible translation of using "He" in regards to the Holy Spirit, saying it can't be certain if the HS really is "He"...

The SDA fundamentals of using "He" in regards to the Holy Spirit lines up with the Bible. But hey that's my view, I guess we might have agree to disagree on this one my brother.

Blessings!!

Reasoning

Why does EGW call the Holy Spirit a mystery and say it is not essential for us to be able to define just what the Holy Spirit is? Yet we are not to be ignorant of these thing, but we are to grow in the knowledge of Christ Jesus. Thinking of this as a mystery ruptures our growth into the knowledge of God. Yes it is a mystery to man, it is not a mystery to God’s very elect. Jesus explained this to his disciples by saying…

He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. Matthew 13:11

The mysteries of the kingdom of God is revealed to God’s elect, and to say that it is a mystery or that one may lose their mind to think upon these things makes Jesus the Christ a liar.

…the mystery which has been hidden from the past ages and generations, but has now been manifested to His saints, 27to whom God willed to make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. Colossians 1:27

The simplicity of the gospel has revealed the mystery of the Holy Spirit; Christ in you, the hope of glory. It is not a third person, but its Christ (God) in you in spirit form.

…work out your salvation with fear and trembling; 13for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure. Philippians 2:13

The only way we can is through the scriptures, Jesus said they testify of him.  It is by line upon line and precept upon precept is God revealed to our mind.

Peace

Gene: "Why does EGW call the Holy Spirit a mystery and say it is not essential for us to be able to define just what the Holy Spirit is? "

The Holy Spirit Himself and His work is not a mystery in my view, and I don't think EGW is saying that either.. But she does say the "nature" of the Holy Spirit is a mystery. The Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father, and the Holy Spirit leads us to all truth, He leads us to Jesus, and Jesus leads us to the Father... At the same time they are ONE! The incarnation is a mystery.

So it depends on what mystery it is, and what GOD has revealed... HE has revealed many mysteries to HIS people, but there are many HE hasn't, and may never will because it's not for us, it's beyond us.

But back to the OP by brother Rob, I'm saying the Holy Spirit in the Bible is referred to as "He", that's not a mystery .... Can we agree on that?

If we can, then we can agree The SDA fundamentals of using "He" in regards to the Holy Spirit lines up with the Bible.

Blessings!

Greetings Reasoning where are the Bible texts in which the Holy Spirit is written as a "He" ?

Joh 16:7 ¶ Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him  "autos" unto you.

This text has "autos" which is not a convincing statement meaning "he"....

The Hebrew word "ruwach" is feminine, but the Greek translations lost this with "pneuma" which is masculine, hence the problem in pronouns....

Shalom

Peace

Rob: "Greetings Reasoning where are the Bible texts in which the Holy Spirit is written as a "He" ?"

Cheers brother Rob, I find the Holy Spirit written as "He" in verse 8, 13,14 of John 16... That's from lightly searching.

John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;

11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.

13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Blessings!

Blessing, I agree the nature of the Holy Spirit is a mystery, is a reference to how the agency of the Holy Spirit works, the gender personality and person is not a mystery, only the way the Holy Spirit works as a medium is a mystery....

I am glad you agree there are three co-eternal members of the Godhead, after all we have EGW for guidance, and the comments from SOP say things that are true and trustworthy... yet there is no direct comment on the gender personality of the Holy Spirit...

Here is a link for my take on the Holy Spirit, detailed...have a read Blessing... http://spiritualsprings.org/ss-1074.htm

This is perhaps the only strong hint from EGW:-  (angels do not have gender, yet this one does)

The angel of mercy was then folding her wings to step down from the golden throne to give place to justice and swift-coming judgment. But Christ's great heart of love still pleaded for Jerusalem, that had scorned His mercies, despised His warnings, and was about to imbrue her hands in His blood. {DA 577.3} Yet again the Spirit of God speaks to Jerusalem. Before the day is done, another testimony is borne to Christ.

Gene, please read the link and allow EGW to offer admonition...

SHalom

Rob,

Let us not remove ourselves from the simplicity of the gospel and from God reveals to us through His holy word the scriptures. This is fairy tale and is not at all part of the inspiration given by scripture.  It has no edification, it has no revealing it’s just words that doesn’t mean anything.

The angel of mercy was then folding her wings to step down from the golden throne to give place to justice and swift-coming judgment. But Christ's great heart of love still pleaded for Jerusalem, that had scorned His mercies, despised His warnings, and was about to imbrue her hands in His blood. {DA 577.3} Yet again the Spirit of God speaks to Jerusalem. Before the day is done, another testimony is borne to Christ.

Jesus say angels do not have genders, so whom do you believe? That a fundamental question.

Gene, you didn't read my link and the hundreds of hours of study I have done on the subject, looking up hundreds of  references to EGW "Holy Spirit" over a period of several months....sure there is not much EGW support, but there is some in the Bible, the Hebrew word "ruwach" is feminine in case, ....

Obviously this "angel of mercy" is not an angel, ie a cherub , but a "malak" a messenger of mercy,   and this messenger that does the Father's bidding is the Holy Spirit....

Happy Sabbath

Shalom 

I suppose if you want to subscribe to Gnosticism, in which case, I would suggest embracing it fully, rather than simply slightly.  Don't be lukewarm.  In Gnosticism the triune consists of God a Zeus like figure, His wife is the Holy Spirit, and their offspring is a created being Jesus.

The Holy spirit is neither. We humans project ourselves onto God. Instead we should be opening our hearts.

You might be right Hebert, so why the 5th fundamentals being so bold to KNOW,, and force us SDA grassroots to accept Scripture that is weak on the pronouns of "he".... indeed we should stick to Scriptures that are clearly known...

Shalom

Yes Interesting that Rob I newer thought much about it but as you say we do see the Holy Spirit presented with Female aspects in the Bible in some places and in other as a male. But you are Right the 5th Fundamental is not written in the light of those aspects. 

God the eternal Spirit was active with the Father and the Son in Creation, incarnation, and redemption. He inspired the writers of Scripture. He filled Christ's life with power. He draws and convicts human beings; and those who respond He renews and transforms into the image of God. Sent by the Father and the Son to be always with His children, He extends spiritual gifts to the church, empowers it to bear witness to Christ, and in harmony with the Scriptures leads it into all truth.—Fundamental Beliefs, 5

(Gen. 1:122 Sam. 23:2Ps. 51:11Isa. 61:1Luke 1:354:18John 14:16-182615:26;16:7-13Acts 1:85:310:38Rom. 5:51 Cor. 12:7-112 Cor. 3:182 Peter 1:21.)

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2021   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service