Adventist Online

why do women still preach when the Bible says that women should be silent at church?

Views: 2008

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Exactly. So according to what you are saying, I can certainly derrive that there are exception to the rules and women are not totally excluded.

PS and that may be the reason God has not forbidden a woman to be a priest. 

Does Ellen White warn against seeking a role or “sphere” different from the one we're assigned by God?

Yes. Referring to Eve, she writes: “She was perfectly happy in her Eden home by her husband's side; but like restless modern Eves, she was flattered that there was a higher sphere than that which God had assigned her. But in attempting to climb higher than her original position, she fell far below it. This will most assuredly be the result with the Eves of the present generation if they neglect to cheerfully take up their daily duty in accordance with God's plan.

. . .

“A neglect on the part of woman to follow God's plan in her creation, an effort to reach for important positions which He has not qualified her to fill, leaves vacant the position that she could fill to acceptance. In getting out of her sphere, she loses true womanly dignity and nobility” ( Testimonies for the Church , vol. 3, pp. 483, 484).

Jason, It is quite striking to me that the very next sentence in the quote says,

"When God created Eve, He designed that she should possess neither inferiority nor superiority to the man, but that in all things she should be his equal." (3T p.484)

There should be not contest in terms of superiority, but in terms of roles, if men and women are to be compared, then it seems clear to me that the woman is the one with the more "sacred" role.

"We may safely say that the distinctive duties of woman are more sacred, more holy, than those of man." (Adventist Home p.231)

By design, the mother is to have the greater influence over her children while they are in their most formative years. Obviously the father must have influence too, but his influence is secondary to the mother's. Her duties are "more holy" -- and we are safe, I believe, in this assertion.

Stewart 

Yes I do not dispute any of that. What you are saying is that women are more spiritual than men. Did you mean that to extend to be a ordained Pastor as well? 

Elijah, I wasn't meaning that women are more spiritual than men. But I do believe that their over-all role is, in the end, more important. Family units constitute the building blocks of Christian society, and the woman's role in the family is more sacred and more holy than ours. This is not often acknowledged, and women have not been satisfied with what they felt was a man-made, restrictive, role.

But no, I don't extend the earlier idea to mean that women should be ordained church Pastors. In my view the woman's role is nurturing -- not leading. Leadership in the church (and front-of-house leadership anywhere,) tends to become more "politically correct" when female minds are brought into controlling positions. (I'm not sure whether anyone really appreciates the significance of this change.)

Obviously men don't always do well as leaders, but what we are slowly moving towards is even worse than all the wars that men have led their nations into. In my view the blurring [or the complete removal] of gender roles in the church [and elsewhere,] is a key element in the "grooming" of the world for the events that are still to come.

I see where you're coming from Stewart and makes complete sense. However, walk into any church in the U.S. today and see who leads out most of the programs in our churches.  If not most, then definitely some important ones such as personal ministries and sabbath school. Some churches go even as far as having female elders because there aren't enough men to step up to the plate. I don't know... I think this issue will go on for centuries.  There will always be those for it and those against it. I think a neutral ground and allowing God to direct things the way He chooses is the best stance.

Go on for centuries? So when ca we expect Christ to return if there will be anything to return to after such a time. What is the name of our Church? Adventist as far as I know. Seventh day for the Sabbath I guess the American church is ready to give up the Sabbath as well.

Ian did you not previously state that you are okay with women preaching but that it is not okay for them to be ordained ? So have you reversed you standing on the preaching bit ?

ZJ 

I think you must misunderstand what I have said I am not in favor of Women Pastors but I have no problem with women sharing a sermon with the congregation with the Pastors permission. That was always my position. 

Ian that makes no sense. You appear to be gagging at the proverbial gnat.

I thought you did agree with women pastors. Didn't you tell me about the pastor in China? What is your exact stance on the subject?

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2021   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service