Adventist Online

Let's start with #2, "The Trinity"

"Christ is one with the father, but Christ and God are two distinct personages” (RH June 1, 1905)

“The Scriptures clearly indicate the relation between God and Christ, and they bring to view as clearly the personality and individuality of eachellen white pillars[Hebrews 1:1-5 quoted.] God is the Father of Christ; Christ is the Son of God. To Christ has been given an exalted position. He has been made equal with the Father. All the counsels of God are opened to His Son.” (Ellen White, Testimonies for the Church, vol. 8, page 268)

“The man Christ Jesus was not the Lord God Almighty, yet Christ and the Father are one.” (Ellen White SDA Bible Commentary, vol.5 p.1129)

“Here we might mention the Trinity, which does away the personality of God, and of his Son Jesus Christ”(James White, December 11, 1855, james white pillarsReview & Herald, vol. 7, no. 11, page 85, par. 16)

“The doctrine of the Trinity which was established in the church by the council of Nice, A. D. 325. This doctrine JN Andrews pillarsdestroys the personality of God, and his Son Jesus Christ our Lord. The infamous, measures by which it was forced upon the church which appear upon the pages of ecclesiastical history might well cause every believer in that doctrine to blush.” (J. N. Andrews, March 6, 1855, Review & Herald, vol. 6, no. 24, page 185)

1 Corinthians 8:6  But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

"Most of the founders of Seventh-day Adventism would not be able to join the church today if they had to subscribe to the denomination's Fundamental Beliefs. More specifically, most would not be able to agree to belief number 2, which deals with the doctrine of the Trinity." George Knight, Ministry, October 1993, p. 10.

"Adventist beliefs have changed over the years under the impact of 'present truth'. Most startling is the teaching regarding Jesus Christ, our Saviour and Lord…the Trinitarian understanding of God, now part of our fundamental beliefs, was not generally held by the early Adventsists." William G. Johnsson, Adventist Review, Jan 6, 1994, p. 10.

The 1874 statements, by Uriah Smith, published in the June 4 Signs of the Times:

1. That there is one God, a personal, spiritual Being, the Creator of all things, omnipotent, omniscient, and eternal; infinite in wisdom, holiness, justice, goodness, truth and mercy; unchangeable, and everywhere present by His representative, the Holy Spirit. Psalm 139:7. [Where can I go from Thy spirit? or where can I flee from Thy presence?]

2. That there is one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Eternal Father, the One by whom God created all things, and by whom they do consist…"

But, the 28 fundamentals say:

2. The Trinity
There is one God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, a unity of three coeternal
PersonsGod is immortal, all-powerful, all-knowing, above all, and ever
present. He is infinite and beyond human comprehension, yet known
through His self-revelation. He is forever worthy of worship, adoration, and
service by the whole creation. (Deut. 6:4; Matt. 28:19; 2 Cor. 13:14;
Eph. 4:4-6; 1 Peter 1:2; 1 Tim. 1:17; Rev. 14:7.)

"He", as in the unity of all 3." Weird.  I don't want to agree with that.  They will deny you membership if you don't?  I'd like to see them try and take my membership again.  I believe God will not let them enforce this baleful church legislation.

"The revelation of Himself that God has given in His Word is for our study. This we may seek to understand. But beyond this we are not to penetrate. . . . None are to indulge in speculation regarding His nature. Here silence is eloquence. The Omniscient One is above discussion." The Faith I Live By p. 40.

Views: 2009

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Person

This definition is from the dictionary from the days of Ellen White. It shall be seen later in this study that “person”, as used by Ellen White in reference to divinity, refers to an office or character. We know this is the meaning that she employed with respect to the Godhead since it is the only meaning which allows all of her statements to agree with each other and agree with the inspired words in the bible on this topic, as they read. I can come to my wife in the person of husband, friend, and counselor and to my children in the person of Father, teacher, friend, counselor etc. It is easy to see that I can be many persons, when applying this definition of the word “person” while being only 1 individual being. The first 5 definitions at the following link refer to humans alone and the 6th makes no specific reference to humans and what Ellen White says about the Holy Spirit confirms usage #6 as can be seen further down on this page.

http://webstersdictionary1828.com/Dictionary/PERSON

PERSON, noun per'sn. [Latin persona; said to be compounded of per, through or by, and sonus, sound; a Latin word signifying primarily a mask used by actors on the state.]

1. An individual human being consisting of body and soul. We apply the word to living beings only, possessed of a rational nature; the body when dead is not called a person It is applied alike to a man, woman or child.

2. A man, woman or child, considered as opposed to things, or distinct from them.

3. A human being, considered with respect to the living body or corporeal existence only. The form of her person is elegant.

4. A human being, indefinitely; one; a man. Let a person's attainments be never so great, he should remember he is frail and imperfect.

5. A human being represented in dialogue, fiction, or on the state; character. A player appears in the person of king Lear.

6. Character of office. How different is the same man from himself, as he sustains the person of a magistrate and that of a friend.

"The office of the Holy Spirit is distinctly specified in the words of Christ: "When He is come, He will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment." It is the Holy Spirit that convicts of sin. If the sinner responds to the quickening influence of the Spirit, he will be brought to repentance, and aroused to the importance of obeying the divine requirements." {ML 43.2}

"The office of the Holy Spirit is to take the truth from the sacred page, where God has placed it for the benefit of every soul whom he has created, and stamp that truth upon the mind."--U. T., Feb. 5, 1896. {HL 300.1}

"In comprehending the office of the Holy Spirit, we shall bring all blessings to ourselves. He will make us complete in Christ."-- Ms 8, 1898

“There will be heart yearnings after God, and earnest prayer for clear perception to discern the office and work of the Holy Spirit. It is not for us to use it, but for the Holy Spirit to use us, molding, fashioning every power. {CSW 40.2}

“It is the office of the Holy spirit to bring to mind in clear, distinct lines the words and works of Christ.”

Contradictory, Unsupported Trinity Statements

Man says that the Father was speaking to His Son and to the Holy Spirit in the creation of man:

“The origin of the human race is found in a divine council. God said, ‘Let Us make man’ (Gen. 1:26). The plural ‘Us’ refers to the trinitarian Godhead—God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.” (Seventh-day Adventists Believe p. 80)

Inspiration says that the Father was speaking to His Son in the creation of man:

"After the earth was created, and the beasts upon it, the Father and Son carried out their purpose, which was designed before the fall of Satan, to make man in their own image. They had wrought together in the creation of the earth and every living thing upon it. And now God said to His Son, "Let us make man in our image." {TMK 13.2}

Satan was once an honored angel in heaven, next to Christ. His countenance, like those of the other angels, was mild and expressive of happiness. His forehead was high and broad, showing great intelligence. His form was perfect; his bearing noble and majestic. But when God said to His Son, "Let us make man in our image," Satan was jealous of Jesus. {EW 145.1}

Man says that the Son was not a Son before His incarnation:

“The Father-Son relationship in the New Testament must always be understood in the light of the event of Bethlehem. The only child born into this world with a divine, rather than a human, father is Jesus. The title, ‘Son,’ refers to His entry into time and does not deny at all His eternal origin. There are references in the Old Testament to Sonship, but these are always in anticipation of the incarnation.” (Ministry, June 1982)

Inspiration says the Son existed as the Son before His incarnation:

“I am instructed to say to you, All this holding to sentiments of infallibility is a specious device of the angel that was so exalted in the heavenly court. His beauty was so highly exalted that he thought he should be as God, and Christ must be second to him; but the Lord informed Satan this could not be possible. Christ was His only begotten Son.” {Lt157-1910}

“Though He was the Son of God, He went down to Nazareth and was subject to His parents.—Youth’s Instructor, Nov. 28, 1895

“But while God's Word speaks of the humanity of Christ when upon this earth, it also speaks decidedly regarding his preexistence. The Word existed as a divine being, even as the eternal Son of God, in union and oneness with his Father.” (The Review and Herald, April 5, 1906)

“In His incarnation He gained “in a new sense” the title of the Son of God. Said the angel to Mary, "The power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God." While the Son of a human being, He became the Son of God in a new sense. - [Hebrews 2:14 quoted] (ST Aug. 2, 1905)

Man says that the covenant was between the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and were role playing their positions as Father Son and Holy Spirit:

“A plan of salvation was encompassed in the covenant made by the Three Persons of the Godhead, who possessed the attributes of Deity equally. In order to eradicate sin and rebellion from the universe and to restore harmony and peace, one of the divine Beings accepted, and entered into, the role of the Father, another the role of the Son. The remaining divine Being, the Holy Spirit, was also to participate in effecting the plan of salvation. All of this took place before sin and rebellion transpired in heaven. “By accepting the roles that the plan entailed, the divine Beings lost none of the powers of Deity. With regard to their eternal existence and other attributes, they were one and equal. But with regard to the plan of salvation, there was, in a sense, a submission on the part of the Son to the Father.” (Adventist Review, October 31, 1996, p.12—Week of Prayer readings)

Inspiration says that the covenant was between the Father and His Son and never suggests that they were role playing:

“In the plan to save a lost world, the counsel was between them both; the covenant of peace was between the Father and the Son.” — (Ellen G. White, Signs of the Times, December 23, 1897)

My brother, as I have told a sister prior who was attempting to down play the Holy Spirit, Jesus said it plain, anyone who blaspheme against the Holy Spirit that is one sin that would not be forgiven. Brethren and Sistren, as the Bible have stated All three exists and are united in purpose, and mission, to save mankind from the wrath to come. However, it is laughable that Christians are debating or arguing with each other over if three exist or if one exist. Read your bible, and what your bible say, believe. Are you all serious? There is a spiritual and physical war waging on the Christian community, and you wondering if there is three or one. Your Bible say three supreme divine beings. That is it. Then thank Them for their work to save you. For the angels worship and adore them and are working for you as well.  

Don't be foolish. Do you even know what the SDA church says is Truth? Read fundamental belief #2. We are to worship God in Spirit and in Truth. That Catholics changed the day of worship and changed the only True God and His literal begotten Son into 3 who are all God but not God 3 in 1 and 1 in 3. Are you serious that this is not important? The trinity is a god in place of the only True God the Father.

My friend and brother, I am a protestant who worship God on His day, His Sabbath. Moreover, there are some concepts like health I would subscribe to. But with respect to some of the prophecies and other dogmas that yhe Adventist Assembly  posit, they and I are not on the same page. 

With respect to arguing of certain dogma, yes it have its place. But the Christian community should not be so engross in it such that they forget their true mission and purpose: to make disciples, and given that they are following the bible as their base. 

However, with respect to Jehovah, Jesus  & the Holy Spirit, if you want to deny the Holy Spirit that is your choice, however, what I do pray is that you don't get a shocker when He, Jesus, and His Father with all the angels comes. The Holy Writ says that the Holy Spirit came as Jesus promise. His Father sent Him, and He did reveal, talk, and even hinder Luke, Paul et al. From going to minister in certain regions of Asia minor. He did empower them with gifts to bring the kingdom of Gdo to the Jewish and gentiles. So much so that down to the handkerchief had power. The Spirit was with Jesus after he came from baptism till the end of His ministry.  So my friend, you hold on to your books and whatever you have indoctrinated yourself to believe. For me, I will hold to the Holy Writ, and what God and His Spirit say as he guide them what to write.

To the Adventist community the time to get out of sleep is now.  The battle is waging, where are you? God bless, love you and have a great week.

Sorry. I am not denying the holy spirit. The holy spirit is doing in me what I cannot do. The holy spirit is the spiritual manifestation of Jesus. He said HE would come to us, HE would live in us, HE would be the life giving spirit. It is up to you if you want to worship a different God. This is the first of the 10 commandments. It is and has always been how satan overcomes humans which is by setting forth a different god. Your choice my friend. God bless.
And by the way, do you worship on Sunday or Saturday?

Hey Good morning bro, 

I worship on Saturday. And the thing brethren and sistren, is that I pulse, what is going on in people minds is that they are of the view, wai, 3 Supreme and Divine Gods in Heaven. There must be some tension. They forget that these divine beings by nature is love. So know you know what we get when we have three divine being loving you. Supreme divine love that cannot be touch, measured, or handled. So brothers and sisters ask the Holy Spirit help birth within you His love, which is also Jehovah and Jesus love, and  for those who don't know how to love or never experience such, or had a misconception of love. that fruit powers and produces a series of other fruit. Do have love one for the other. 

Well said brother Garth. There are three divine beings and inspiration says that the Holy Spirit is a person. Some are trying to say that a person is not a being , how low can we go? Why blaspheme the Holy Spirit by saying He is not God when the Bible is clear on this issue? We are Christians brethren...

Persons never did mean beings since the earliest times. Some SDAs redefined it after Sister White died, but the original Trinity doctrine only belives in one being, with three personal forms; and that is what Sister White meant according to many other quotes. In all of her writings, she never used Trinitarian or Tritheist language. According to her, only two beings are to be exalted.  

Your statement is contradictory and confusing or are you trying to say that Ellen White was confused? Are you saying that Ellen White believe that there is one Being with three personal forms but that we should only exalt two beings? I thought you said that she said there is only one being, so how is it that she said we must exalt two beings? Who is the second being to be exalted if, according to you, there is only one being?

"the original Trinity doctrine only belives in one being"
Not Sister White. The point is that the word "person" never meant "being" in the original discussion of this many centuries ago. Sister White was not Trinitarian. She did not believe in one being of deity but two.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2021   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service