Adventist Online

Let's start with #2, "The Trinity"

"Christ is one with the father, but Christ and God are two distinct personages” (RH June 1, 1905)

“The Scriptures clearly indicate the relation between God and Christ, and they bring to view as clearly the personality and individuality of eachellen white pillars[Hebrews 1:1-5 quoted.] God is the Father of Christ; Christ is the Son of God. To Christ has been given an exalted position. He has been made equal with the Father. All the counsels of God are opened to His Son.” (Ellen White, Testimonies for the Church, vol. 8, page 268)

“The man Christ Jesus was not the Lord God Almighty, yet Christ and the Father are one.” (Ellen White SDA Bible Commentary, vol.5 p.1129)

“Here we might mention the Trinity, which does away the personality of God, and of his Son Jesus Christ”(James White, December 11, 1855, james white pillarsReview & Herald, vol. 7, no. 11, page 85, par. 16)

“The doctrine of the Trinity which was established in the church by the council of Nice, A. D. 325. This doctrine JN Andrews pillarsdestroys the personality of God, and his Son Jesus Christ our Lord. The infamous, measures by which it was forced upon the church which appear upon the pages of ecclesiastical history might well cause every believer in that doctrine to blush.” (J. N. Andrews, March 6, 1855, Review & Herald, vol. 6, no. 24, page 185)

1 Corinthians 8:6  But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

"Most of the founders of Seventh-day Adventism would not be able to join the church today if they had to subscribe to the denomination's Fundamental Beliefs. More specifically, most would not be able to agree to belief number 2, which deals with the doctrine of the Trinity." George Knight, Ministry, October 1993, p. 10.

"Adventist beliefs have changed over the years under the impact of 'present truth'. Most startling is the teaching regarding Jesus Christ, our Saviour and Lord…the Trinitarian understanding of God, now part of our fundamental beliefs, was not generally held by the early Adventsists." William G. Johnsson, Adventist Review, Jan 6, 1994, p. 10.

The 1874 statements, by Uriah Smith, published in the June 4 Signs of the Times:

1. That there is one God, a personal, spiritual Being, the Creator of all things, omnipotent, omniscient, and eternal; infinite in wisdom, holiness, justice, goodness, truth and mercy; unchangeable, and everywhere present by His representative, the Holy Spirit. Psalm 139:7. [Where can I go from Thy spirit? or where can I flee from Thy presence?]

2. That there is one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Eternal Father, the One by whom God created all things, and by whom they do consist…"

But, the 28 fundamentals say:

2. The Trinity
There is one God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, a unity of three coeternal
PersonsGod is immortal, all-powerful, all-knowing, above all, and ever
present. He is infinite and beyond human comprehension, yet known
through His self-revelation. He is forever worthy of worship, adoration, and
service by the whole creation. (Deut. 6:4; Matt. 28:19; 2 Cor. 13:14;
Eph. 4:4-6; 1 Peter 1:2; 1 Tim. 1:17; Rev. 14:7.)

"He", as in the unity of all 3." Weird.  I don't want to agree with that.  They will deny you membership if you don't?  I'd like to see them try and take my membership again.  I believe God will not let them enforce this baleful church legislation.

"The revelation of Himself that God has given in His Word is for our study. This we may seek to understand. But beyond this we are not to penetrate. . . . None are to indulge in speculation regarding His nature. Here silence is eloquence. The Omniscient One is above discussion." The Faith I Live By p. 40.

Views: 2004

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Read fundamental belief #2. This is how our church defines it. There is a Father, a Son and a Holy Spirit but the Holy Spirit is not a separate being but the omnipresence of the Father and Son. More specifically for us since Christ came, He comes in a spiritual manifestation independent of His ministry in the sanctuary above.

With respect to this discussion , if this is the argument posit by the Adventist Assembly, then without doubt, they must revisit their argument with respect to Jehovah, Jesus and His Spirit. These three divine beings are united in purpose and character. When you see one, you sure to see the other. They have worked together so that the opportunity to eternal life and can be attained by all. In addition They work together so that we can have a relationship with them and They with us. One is of the view that people who can't see Them living together in Heaven, are of the view that there bound to be some tension. However Jehovah does not function like us. And what I can say is that in heaven, everything revolve around love, and if the Heavenly hosts and those translated from of the earth worship and adore these Three, thank you Jehovah, Jesus and Holy Spirit for working to graft me into being apart of Abraham's seed, and higher than that your all child. 

It is obvious you have not read what inspiration has to say on this subject.

Hey bro, there is no need to read what inspiration, whatever, that is. What I know is Bible and that is sufficient  for me

If your God is Father Son and Holy Spirit you dont know your bibele. Sorry.

Here is inspiration:

• 1887: Christ preexisted with the Father from all eternity (Review and Herald, July 5, 1887; The Desire of Ages [1898], p. 19).
  • 1888: Concerning those who reject the deity of Christ, she said: “None who hold this error can have a true conception of the character or the mission of Christ, or of the great plan of God for man’s redemption” (The Great Controversy [1888 ed.], p. 524).
  • 1888: Christ is “one with the eternal Father,–one in nature, in character, and in purpose” (ibid., p. 493), “one in power and authority” (ibid., 495), yet in person, Christ was “distinct” from the Father. “The Lord Jesus Christ . . . existed from eternity, a distinct person, yet one with the Father (Review and Herald, Apr. 5, 1906).
  • 1890: Christ is self-existent; His deity is not derived from the Father (Patriarchs and Prophets, p. 36)
  • .1897: The Holy Spirit is the third person of the Godhead (Special Testimonies, Series A, No. 10, p. 37).
  • 1898: Publication of The Desire of Ages recapitulates the previous two points: “In Christ is life, original, unborrowed, underived” (The Desire of Ages, p. 530), and the Holy Spirit is the “Third Person of the Godhead” (ibid., p. 671).
  • 1901, 1905: Three “eternal heavenly dignitaries,” three highest powers in heaven,” “three living persons of the heavenly trio”–the Father , Son, and Holy Spirit are one in nature, character, and purpose, but not in person (manuscript 145, 1901; Special Testimonies, Series B, No. 7 [1905], pp. 51, 62, 63; The Ministry of Healing [1905], p. 422; all quoted in Evangelism, pp. 614-617).

Jason, you, as most Christians, take compilations from others and have no clue what is being said in context.  First of all FROM all eternity is not FOR all eternity.  No one rejects the deity of Christ.  He is begotten of the Father and made in the express image of His person.  He is God in the same way that Eve is Adam (Gen 5:1,2).  His nature is GOD.  He is not the Lord God almighty.  The Father alone is the only true God.  Christ is the Son of God.  Read SR chapter 1.  The father gave to the Son to be equal with Himself and the Father gave the Son life to have in Himself. John 5:26.  That life is the FATHER's life which is unborrowed, original and underived.  His life flows through the Son to all creation and back through the Son to the Father.  If the Father gave the Son this life, it is now His.  It was given to Him. The Holy Spirit is the third person of the Godhead (divinity). The Bible and Ellen White make it clear that the Holy Spirit is the omnipresence of Jesus Himself who would abide in us and was with us.  I no longer live but Christ lives in me.  PERSON is not BEING.

a person is not a being ? Are you saying that the HS can be a person and not be a being? 

Persons never did mean beings since the earliest times. Some SDAs redefined it after Sister White died, but the original Trinity doctrine only belives in one being, with three personal forms; and that is what Sister White meant according to many other quotes. In all of her writings, she never used Trinitarian or Tritheist language. According to her, only two beings are to be exalted.  

exactly

In a letter that Dr. John Harvey Kellogg wrote to G. I Butler on Oct 28th 1903 concerning ‘The Living Temple’ he wrote:

“As far as I can fathom, the difficulty which is found in the Living Temple, the whole thing may be simmered down to this question: is the Holy Ghost a person. You say no. I had supposed the Bible said this for the reason that the personal pronoun he is used in speaking of the Holy Ghost. Sister White uses the pronoun he and has said in as many words that the Holy Ghost is the third person of the Godhead. How the Holy Ghost can be the third person and not be a person at all is difficult for me to see”

Jesus speaks of Himself as ANOTHER Person

Jesus would often refer to Himself in the THIRD PERSON and then end with speaking in FIRST person. Here are some examples:

"After Jesus had spoken these words, he looked up to heaven and said, 'Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son so that the Son may glorify you, since you have given him authority over all people, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. And this is eternal life, that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. I glorified you on earth by finishing the work that you gave me to do. So now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had in your presence before the world existed" (John 17:1-5).

And again He speaks many more times of Himself in THIRD PERSON. Here are some:

“I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?” (Luke 18:8)

“Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he had found him, he said unto him, Dost thou believe on the Son of God? He answered and said, Who is he, Lord, that I might believe on him? And Jesus said unto him, Thou hast both seen him, and it is he that talketh with thee.” (John 9:35-37)

To Nicodemus, Jesus said of himself,

“God sent his Son into the world that the world through him might be saved” John 3:17

To the woman at the well Jesus said,

“If you knew who it is that says to you, Give me to drink, you would have asked of him, and he would have given you living water.” John 4:10

When confronting the leaders in the temple, Jesus announced,

“The Son can do nothing of himself but what he sees the Father do” John 5:19.

This is proper grammar, yet Jesus is the Son, and as such, he later said,

“I do nothing of myself, but as my Father has taught me, I speak these things” John 8:28.

After his transfiguration, Jesus repeatedly said to his disciples,

“The Son of man shall be betrayed into the hands of men: and they shall kill him, and the third day he shall be raised again” Matt 17:22, 23.

The persistent confusion about what Jesus meant by these warnings was partly due to this indirect third person reference to himself.

“He shall be delivered unto the Gentiles…And they shall scourge and put him to death:” Luke 18:32, 33.

As Jesus walked to Emmaus he said to his unsuspecting traveling companions,

“Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?” Luke 24:26.

“Thus Christ discoursed to His disciples, opening their minds that they might understand the Scriptures. The disciples were weary, but the conversation did not flag. Words of life and assurance fell from the Saviour's lips. But still their eyes were holden. As He told them of the overthrow of Jerusalem, they looked upon the doomed city with weeping. But little did they yet suspect who their traveling companion was. They did not think that the subject of their conversation was walking by their side; for Christ referred to Himself as though He were another person. They thought that He was one of those who had been in attendance at the great feast, and who was now returning to his home. He walked as carefully as they over the rough stones, now and then halting with them for a little rest. Thus they proceeded along the mountainous road, while the One who was soon to take His position at God's right hand, and who could say, "All power is given unto Me in heaven and in earth," walked beside them. Matthew 28:18.” {DA 800.1}

Jesus spoke of sending “another” Comforter, however, He was really speaking of Himself but He would come in another form which was a spiritual manifestaion and not a physical one. He even says that the Comforter “dwelleth” (present tense) with them and “shall be” (future tense) in you and then completes the conversation by saying that He Himself with come to them.

“If ye love me, keep my commandments. And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also. At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you. He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him. Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world? Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. (John 14:15-23)

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2021   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service